Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Scratch Building 1/4-Scale Pitts Model-12

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Scratch Building 1/4-Scale Pitts Model-12

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 02:25 PM
curtrc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Scratch Building 1/4-Scale Pitts Model-12

SHE FLEW!

Taxi and ground-handling was good and predictable.

Take-off was easy with no surprises.. was pretty hard to keep her on the ground!

Was nice and gentle, even with no dihedral, of course that also meant a tendedcy to just stay where I put it, but that was the idea

Once I had her trimmed I tried a few basic aerobatics and WOW. Tracked the maneuvers like it was on rails. No hesitation or obvious bad habits. Had some engine tuning issues which resulted in a dead-stick but the glide was gentle and smooth. Gear held up great even with a minor bounce. No tendency to ground-loop that I was able to detect.

I'll post the video as soon as I edit it together!
Old 11-11-2012, 04:16 AM
golliher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the maiden! It was a treat to see it fly yesterday. I only hope the video turns out ok. Now that I've found your build thread and see the history.. wow.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:25 AM
AA5BY

Great news about a good maiden. Looking forward to the video. Congrats on a project culminating in such a good outcome.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:18 AM
rgunder

Great job, congrats!
Old 11-13-2012, 07:40 PM
curtrc

Okay here it is- http://northarc.com/maiden_flight.wmv

It's not exciting, and the engine is tuned horribly (I know that now, I didn't know it then) but even so the design was a joy to fly, I was nervous but somehow not the "shaking in my boots" nervous that I usually am, because the response was so positive and solid. It may not look it in the video but I felt completely connected to everything it was doing. except for the bounce

Looking forward to getting back out there and getting the engine tuned right so I can try some more daring stuff and not be fearful that the engine will cut out at any moment.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:04 AM
AA5BY

It looks to fly very well and don't fret about a bounce on an early flight... your entitled to time to get familiar with the plane and beyond any jitters associated with the maiden of a self designed scratch build.

The engine ran fine and if it was a bit fat... far better than to suffer heating up on a maiden flight and perhaps dieing.

Thanks for sharing your adventure in both the build thread and the video. Wishing that the plane gives you many hours of enjoyment beyond the great satisfaction thus far enjoyed in the design and build.

If this is your first original design... welcome to a fraternity of those who have made similar efforts and enjoyed similar accomplishment.

Great effort to wit you should feel proud.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:38 PM
packocrayons

Do you happen to have plans in PDF format?
Old 11-20-2012, 09:03 PM
curtrc

I've had about half a dozen requests for the "plans" now so I'll just make it known here that I do intend to provide them.

Right now the design is literally a 3D model with the details all in my head. Exhastively researched, but I can hardly scan in a pile of notes. I would like to annotate a few important bits and emphasize some parts of the design being a bit more crucial than others.

I will make available for download PDF details of all the important 1:1 views suitable for building the Dash, as well as 2D cad drawings suitable for laser-cut and I can strongly reccomend the service I used with rgunder, he was fast, precise, and very reasonably priced. The design he has on file will work but there are a number of important refinements I would like to add so give me a small bit of time to iterate on that.

At least one builder wanted a scaled-down version? Sure if you want, but I don't know how much sense that makes, the point of this build was that there were no 3D models of this size. There are bunches slightly bigger (Great Planes makes an ARF) and I'm pretty sure there are some smaller ones, but now that I think on it all the ones I'm thinking of are electric. bah. can't call it a pitts unless it's growling at you, IMO.

Give me a week or so depending on workload. If anyone wants the full digital 3D model, PM me and we can talk, it represents a metric buttload of work and I don't know if I just want to give it away.

Old 11-22-2012, 01:53 AM
Coight

Beautiful job of the design and build.  I'm just starting new to RC planes but already having a go at a scratch build using the free plan that comes in the RCM&E magazine.  Hopefully one day I'll have the experience to do the same as yourself and create something unique as you have done.

So what's on the drawing board next?

Old 11-30-2012, 05:56 AM
curtrc

Making modifications to the design, taking into account the build, its going to be a zillion times easier the second time around, mods include:

- Split bulkheads and part squaring so the main fuse can be built upside-down on a flat surface, ditching the two-tube jig (which didn't work all that well)
- Frame rails extended all the way to the firewall for added strength. I did this as a mod on the A
- Adding notches for stringers in the front fuse I had neglected to add the first time around
- Wingmounts reworked to reflect how I actually had to build it
- Tail design modded slightly to reflect how I had to build it
- Now that I have a better feel for what a laser-cutter can do, removing a lot of extra weight.

I want to rework the front/rear fuse joining, but it would be damn hard since I would have to rework the entire center-section to account for the radio box curving outward instead of being square. The benefit is trivial, basically the removal of 4 squares of balsa, and I'm not entirely sure I want to do that, since they are nice cushions for the lower wing, and handy mount points in the radio area. (I attached the smoke pump to the upper ones, fit like a glove) I will likely do that for the Dash-C, if there is one, I don't want to change TOO much away from a design I know works and flies well.

This is going to take at least another week, and chances are I will be building a second one "some day". or at least order a short kit. Anyone else interested? The more I can put together the lower the cost ends up being. I expect the figure to be in the neighborhood of $200-$250, whatever the cutter quotes, I'm not trying to make a profit.

And here is a random pic from the new design
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66700.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	1825125  
Old 12-08-2012, 11:50 AM
curtrc

ORIGINAL: Coight

So what's on the drawing board next?
In the catagory of "always wanted" I've now checked both the "biplane" box and the "designed my own" box.

Sherman! Set the Wayback Machine to... 1983. I was on my first large boy scout camporee, when I heard a buzzing, looked up, and saw: An R/C flying snoopy doghouse. It was the first R/C aircraft I had ever seen (remember those times before the Internet?) and I was entranced. I wanted one. Its probably one of the main reasons I got into flying in the first place.

I never did make one. It's fundamentally a bad aircraft design I guess, haven't encountered a kit for one except for the FlyingThingz one:http://flyingthingz.com/products/doghouse.html which does look pretty good.

So yes I want to design and build my own.I have several design constraints that may make the design ultimately impractical:

- It must resemble, at least in profile, as closely as possible a Snoopy+Doghouse. No engines hanging out the front.
- Landing gear likewise hidden/retracted
- Stable such that some aerobatics are possible

As rare as these are, I know I am following a well-trod path full of both failure and success. I've done some research and read a few posts. I'm planning to throw down some kind of configuation once I have the design straight in my head. I'll start a new build thread on it if I go forward.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:39 PM
AA5BY

I was surprised to hear that the tube jig for building didn't go that well. Building inverted using a forward box works well even if the box tapers aft, though probably heavier than formers only. I built an original design last winter that way. As you are thinking, it was built inverted to the stage of the forward round former and upper fore and aft turtle decks and hatch but can come safely off the board by those with no concern for staying aligned.

I'll offer my build pages for your reference.

http://pages.suddenlink.net/arlyn/30cc_ss.html

Old 05-22-2014, 02:59 AM
rado7rado

Is there any chance to get this plans?Have someone this plans to share please?
Old 03-27-2015, 12:18 PM
hedaiat.najafi

it,s nice
Old 03-22-2016, 06:38 AM
curtrc

Default Plans? SURE!

Originally Posted by rado7rado
Is there any chance to get this plans?Have someone this plans to share please?
Have flown the heck out of this thing now and just putting it back for the summer. I have made a BUNCH of improvements to the design and the assembly is now much easier at the field.

As a 3D model it performs well, I've had a few semi-pro-ish pilots try the sticks and they were impressed, DLE-30 hanging in there quite well, feels like just the right amount of power: a little too much

I'll see if I can put some actual PDFs of the plans together, but please keep in mind this was NOT meant to be jigsaw-cut, the parts are intricate and really meant for laser.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:19 AM
brunofporto

Default Please, any news about the plans? :D

Originally Posted by curtrc
Have flown the heck out of this thing now and just putting it back for the summer. I have made a BUNCH of improvements to the design and the assembly is now much easier at the field.

As a 3D model it performs well, I've had a few semi-pro-ish pilots try the sticks and they were impressed, DLE-30 hanging in there quite well, feels like just the right amount of power: a little too much

I'll see if I can put some actual PDFs of the plans together, but please keep in mind this was NOT meant to be jigsaw-cut, the parts are intricate and really meant for laser.
After a lot of reading and searching your design fits right what I am looking for!

Any news on publishingthe plans please?

Thanks! Bruno
Old 02-10-2019, 06:57 AM
curtrc

Originally Posted by brunofporto
After a lot of reading and searching your design fits right what I am looking for!

Any news on publishingthe plans please?

Thanks! Bruno
Wow.. its been years since I did anything with this. Model still in one piece though never crashed it.

I never really finished the plans but I still have all the CAD drawings so theoretically I could clean them up and send them to you if you want. Tell you the truth it would be easier to send you the CAD files if you wanted.

-Curt
Old 02-10-2019, 07:26 AM
brunofporto

Wow.. its been years since I did anything with this. Model still in one piece though never crashed it.

I never really finished the plans but I still have all the CAD drawings so theoretically I could clean them up and send them to you if you want. Tell you the truth it would be easier to send you the CAD files if you wanted.

-Curt
That would be great, thanks!! No need for cleaning as I work with CAD since last century
Old 02-11-2019, 05:36 PM
brunofporto

-Curt
Curt,

I sent you a PM with my e-mail.

Thank you very much!!
Old 02-12-2019, 01:50 AM
rado7rado

Could i please have this plans to?I will send you private massage.
Thank
Old 02-22-2019, 11:06 AM
wingsounds13

Curious that there are several interested in these drawings in such a similar time frame. I have just recently started researching the Pitts Model 12 for a similar size project and I too am interested in these CAD files.

J.P.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:47 AM
brunofporto

Pretty pretty please with cherries on top?
Old 03-04-2019, 12:44 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I wonder if it had anything to do with this thread that died a while back?
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scra...able-soon.html
Old 03-13-2019, 12:56 PM
curtrc

Originally Posted by brunofporto
Pretty pretty please with cherries on top?
Sure thing I'll put together something and post it here and email you.

-Curt
The following users liked this post:
AndreS12 (08-03-2022)
Old 08-03-2022, 12:59 PM
AndreS12

Sure thing I'll put together something and post it here and email you.

-Curt
Are these plans still available and in pdf and dxf, I would like to have them also please and thank you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.