Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Anyone use TURBOCAD?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 12:21 PM
branded
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone use TURBOCAD?

I have a copy of TURBOCAD I bought a few years ago. I really never used it. I'm wondering if anyone has any perspective on it's usefulness in modeling and design.

I know most use AUTOCAD and I'm sure you know the price of it so it's not an option for me.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:45 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DraftSight is fully compatible with AutoCAD. It's a free download. Dan

http://www.3ds.com/products-services...ight/overview/
Old 10-29-2013, 02:47 PM
rc_extra230

I use Turbocad for both 2d and 3d drawings. Works great for me.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:17 PM
branded

Originally Posted by All Day Dan
DraftSight is fully compatible with AutoCAD. It's a free download. Dan

http://www.3ds.com/products-services...ight/overview/
Thanks, I downloaded a copy.

Originally Posted by rc_extra230
I use Turbocad for both 2d and 3d drawings. Works great for me.
Thanks. Frankly, as I sit here I don't even know what version I have anymore as it's been so long since I bought it. I have it in a box in my storage room. I recall installing it on an XP computer back in maybe 2005 or '06.......Never used it heavily as the 'great recession' interrupted my life.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:29 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had turbocad 10.0. I had some issues and went to turbocad support, it came with free 30 day support. I put my question in an email, sent it with the date of purchase. What I got back was they wanted $25.00 per email for the support. So I replied I had removed from my system. So much for their "free" support

I have thought about trying a new version but with sketchup, free is way better plus you have tons of support and free add ons from the world. Been plying with it and sort of know what I am doing.

http://www.sketchup.com/

Buzz.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:14 PM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use TC v14. It's very useful for any type of 2D modeling work. I find it easy and intuitive to use.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:18 PM
ppljr
My Feedback: (94)

They are up to TurboCad version 20 now. Very similar in format and capability to Autocad but 1/10th the cost.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:11 AM
radfordc

If you don't mind using an older version of TC you can find them on ebay for less than $20.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:27 PM
rc_extra230

I have had each version of Turbocad since 15 or 16, using 20 now. For modeling use there is not a lot of difference from at least 16 on up. Most of the changes have been in the architectural tools, the rendering tools, and some additional 3D tools. The latest version, 20, has the ability to use an interface like the command line in autocad, if that is what you prefer. Any "Pro" or "Platinum" version is a better product than even the latest "standard" or "deluxe" version. I don't know much about support from the company, IMSI, but the Turbocad Forum is full of extremely helpful and knowledgeable people.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:04 PM
blvdbuzzard

I still get the email specials from them. Have thought about getting it again. When I was trying to use it, there were no forums so it was direct contact or find it from some one you know. Well I did not know any one using any type of CAD let alone TC.

With everything sketchup has, price and just about every type of detail for free, hard not to use it. Is it a very simplified CAD. Works well for models.

Buzz.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:34 PM
danilo-2
My Feedback: (1)

As stated before/above: Get the draftsight FREE download .. it's the equivalent of semi current Acad and yet does not cost $5000 per seat.
Even the commands are virtually identical
Select the appropriate version for your operating system though.

Makes paying even $10 for a cheap low achieving cad pgm seem as a bit silly.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:29 AM
branded

Originally Posted by danilo-2
As stated before/above: Get the draftsight FREE download .. it's the equivalent of semi current Acad and yet does not cost $5000 per seat.
Even the commands are virtually identical
Select the appropriate version for your operating system though.

Makes paying even $10 for a cheap low achieving cad pgm seem as a bit silly.
I have it and have been spending an hour or so a day playing with it....What the heck? It's free......
Old 11-02-2013, 09:46 AM
branded

Originally Posted by blvdbuzzard
I still get the email specials from them. Have thought about getting it again. When I was trying to use it, there were no forums so it was direct contact or find it from some one you know. Well I did not know any one using any type of CAD let alone TC.

With everything sketchup has, price and just about every type of detail for free, hard not to use it. Is it a very simplified CAD. Works well for models.

Buzz.
Buzz, are you using the pro version of Sketchup? I have a copy (free version) and have used it a few times, most recently to layout and design wainscoting for my living room. I like it for it's 3D but I'm not sure how to use it for modeling. How would one trace sections from a plan? How do you import the drawings you want into Sketchup and in what format do they need to be? I'm trying to formulate the "big picture" of the process in my mind.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:31 AM
radfordc

One reason I like TurboCad is the ability to import 3 views and plans and then trace over them to create CAD drawings that can be scaled to any size. TC imports BMP files so I use Paint.net to convert jpg's, pdf's, etc.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:56 PM
blvdbuzzard

I downloaded a converter for sketchup so I can save in DXF, PDF, DRW files. There is a file to use the sketchup files with G code. I have not found it yet. I have just read here and there but have not found a working copy of it. Then again, I have not really searched all the much either.

Buzz.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:55 PM
T_om

Originally Posted by radfordc
One reason I like TurboCad is the ability to import 3 views and plans and then trace over them to create CAD drawings that can be scaled to any size. TC imports BMP files so I use Paint.net to convert jpg's, pdf's, etc.
Well, yes... but almost every CAD package in the universe offers that feature, not just TurboCAD

Tom
Old 11-07-2013, 06:45 AM
radfordc

I was responding to the post asking about importing drawings into Sketchup. I don't have any knowledge of Sketchup, so I can't say if it's easy to import 3 views or not? I know all CAD programs do that, but this thread is about TC.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:56 AM
bchapman

Just download an education version of AutoCAD from the Autodesk website. It will print "Educational Version" on the plots, but the functionality is the same and you can always have someone open your drawing in a licensed version and do a "save as" and it won't plot like that anymore, provided you don't re-open the drawing in the educational version. I use AutoCad at work but use the educational one on my home computer when I don't have my laptop. Just a thought.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:30 PM
brandony78

anyone good at auto cad still trying to setup multi line for the laser cuter i need a .05 thickness so the pieces do not come flying out
Old 11-14-2013, 04:39 PM
rc_extra230

"TC imports BMP files so I use Paint.net to convert jpg's, pdf's, etc."

Newer versions of Turbocad will import PDF files as underlays. If the PDF was created by a Cad program you can you can snap to points. I believe the latest version also does 3d PDF files.