Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Running AutoCAD 14 in Windows 7, 8 or 8.1

Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Running AutoCAD 14 in Windows 7, 8 or 8.1

Old 05-15-2014, 07:12 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Running AutoCAD 14 in Windows 7, 8 or 8.1

Is there any way to run AutoCAD 14 in Windows 7, 8 or 8.1? I have tried it with Windows 7 and got an incompatibility message. Dan.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:58 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My daughter runs a licensed version (which one?) anyway, the older P/Cs had to have a video card that was officially supported.
Newer ones seemed to work with more or less standard middle of the road video cards.
When all else fails, you may have to run an XP virtual machine, and install autocad under it.
And, no, don't ask me about the gory details! My son, less than half my age, and double the patience,
is far more up to date on such things. Besides he deals with this sort of thing (for profit) quite frequently.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:18 PM
ByLoudDesign

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would assume if you can run at 32 bit you'll be OK. I know W7 will allow either bit run, not sure about W8!
Old 05-16-2014, 02:58 PM
All Day Dan

Thanks guys. I can run a computer but I need instructions like “press this”, “do that” otherwise I’m stuck and do not know what to do. When I got that incompatibility message from W7, I was lost. I checked some websites but they all wanted me to down load something which I won’t do. I could really use a long list of instructions. I tried Autodesk but got tired of running around in circles. There was nothing definitive there. I’ll keep trying. Dan.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:22 AM
Lone Star Charles

I still run AutoCAD 2002 on my W7/64bit platform; however, when I try to open drawings that were prepared in ACAD 2014 I get an incompatibility message. The older versions of AutoCAD are not 'forward compatible'. Although that does not totally sound like your problem, maybe it is related.

Recently, I downloaded DWG TrueView 2015 from Autodesk so that I could at least read and print newer drawings. TrueView is free and safe - and from Autodesk. You might try loading that program just to see if it works on your computer. It's at least free - and it might give you a clue about why you are having problems with AutoCAD.

I do have some drawings that I prepared with AutoCAD 2002 that I will be glad to send to you. You could try to open some of them and see if it works. PM me with your e-mail and I'll send them.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:11 AM
All Day Dan

Charles, My problem is not the compatibility between the different AutoCAD’s it’s the Windows 7, 8 and 8.1. I am now using AutoCAD 14 in Windows XP and can’t get my 14 to run in Windows 7. I am sure the problem will also exist in 8 and 8.1. I need help getting it into these newer versions of Windows. Maybe it can not be done. Dan.
Old 05-17-2014, 03:00 PM
kgibson4
My Feedback: (4)

Dan,
I have AutoCAD 2008. It would not load on my new Win7 64-bit machine so I loaded the Virtual Machine option and Virtual XP. AutoCAD would load on that but it was very glitchy in 2D (painful to use!) and impossible to use in 3D.
My solution was to set up my old XP machine with AutoCAD, but keep it offline. You can transfer drawing files with a thumb drive and view them on a Win7 machine with a free drawing viewer from Autodesk. Or you can convert the drawings to PDF on the offline machine and print them on your Win7 machine from the thumb drive
Hope this helps.
Old 05-17-2014, 03:31 PM
All Day Dan

Kgibson, it’s looking bleaker as time goes on. Did you ever try getting help from Autodesk? Dan.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:44 PM
kgibson4
My Feedback: (4)

I've never found Autodesk to be much help to individual users. You might try some of the open forums on the web.
Here's one:
http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/forum.php
Old 05-19-2014, 07:54 AM
Lone Star Charles

Dan - I am sorry, I thought when you said that you had AutoCAD 14 that you meant AutoCAD 2014. I think that ACAD 14 was released sometime in 1997. I believe Windows was in release 95 around then, but I am sure ACAD was designed to operate around that operating system. Also, I suspect there are programs that will allow you to run a Windows 95 program in Windows 7, but I have never tried them. In any event, although I have found Autodesk to be very supportive in the past, I doubt that they will support your effort to operate a system that is that old. Your best bet will probably be to find a forum like kgibson4 suggests.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:23 PM
draftman1

V14 will work on XP, I use 2002 but I am also afraid of upgrading to win 7 or 8, I just keep my XP machine and thats all I use it for
Old 05-20-2014, 04:07 AM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, AutoCad 14...

If you can't get it to run on W7, just use Draftsight

http://www.3ds.com/products-services...ight/overview/

Virtually a clone to AutoCad and compatible with your OS, plus it's free! Made by Dassault, who created Solidworks.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:41 PM
DaveP

I've run ACAD14 fine on a 64bit Windows 7 Professional machine for over 2 yrs, running it under Microsoft's Virtual PC and Windows XP Mode. XP Mode runs in a window on the Win7 desktop, and ACAD14 runs in a window in the XP Mode window. Check this Microsoft page. This computer has a 3.3GHz Core i5 CPU and 8GB RAM and ACAD14 runs fast on it. Actually I don't use it much for ACAD because it's in the study and I have more convenient WIN XP machines in my shop.

Windows 8 and 8.1 don't provide a free XP Mode, but there is a provision for running XP (I forget the details), so I've bought a copy of XP off eBay for the future. I have a tablet with Win8.1, but don't need ACAD14 on it.

I don't remember having any problem installing Virtual PC & XP Mode, but if you need help maybe do some Binging or Googling or hire a neighbor kid for an hour or 2.

-Dave Plumpe
Old 05-20-2014, 04:29 PM
All Day Dan

Dave and guys, thanks for all the good information. I do have a copy of Draftsight loaded and a I am getting used to it. I asked Dassault if there was a CD available for sale and got a resounding no. I do not want to become dependent on a software that I have no control over. If they decide to stop supporting it, I would be out of luck. It looks like I’ll have to get going on how to figure out what it takes to get the newer Windows to run in the XP mode. Dan.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:53 PM
dreadnaut

I run ACAD 2000, and now use an old Win98 machine in my man cave-No internet connection. It's not needed, and probably the biggest reason it still runs well. I tried the Virtual XP thing, but its really flaky and crash prone.

Back in the sixties they used to keep putting bigger fins on Cadillac's and calling them "improvements" to make you buy cars more often. This was a doctrine called "Planned Obsolescence". What the software publishers are doing is more insidious. I call it "Forced Obsolescence". GM does not do anything to prevent you from restoring a '62 Coupe de Ville. Try emulating a copy of ACAD 10, Aiutodesk will come after you.

IMO ACAD reached its peak at V2000-the last licenced copy I had. I used 2002, and 2005 at companies I worked for and Beta'd 2009, to keep up with the changes. Though there were some enhancements in 2009, most of the improvements were cosmetic, i.e. Bigger Fins. Most of these Improvements have led to massive bloat in the UI. Most things 2009 could do, I could do in ACAD 2000, and do it faster.

End of rant.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:59 AM
All Day Dan

Good rant dreadnaught. With Microsoft’s virtual monopoly they can do almost or maybe even anything. I’ll have to suffer like the rest of us. Unfortunately I don’t have room for a second computer so I’ll have to “upgrade” like everyone else. Dan.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:17 AM
Hemikiller

Originally Posted by All Day Dan View Post
Dave and guys, thanks for all the good information. I do have a copy of Draftsight loaded and a I am getting used to it. I asked Dassault if there was a CD available for sale and got a resounding no. I do not want to become dependent on a software that I have no control over. If they decide to stop supporting it, I would be out of luck. It looks like I’ll have to get going on how to figure out what it takes to get the newer Windows to run in the XP mode. Dan.

Dan,

Draftsight replaced the DWG Editor that was part of the Solidworks 3D modelling package. They updated it and released it to the general public as a free to use program, probably just to stick it to Autodesk. . It's been several years now and they continue to improve and there is a huge community behind it. I seriously doubt that Dassault would just pull the plug on it any time without a tremendous warning. The files you create are yours and are compatible with any other CAD package that supports DWG & DXF files. There are lots of other free and low cost CAD programs, Draftsight just happens to be one of the best.

Last edited by Hemikiller; 05-29-2014 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:14 PM
All Day Dan

Hemi, please list a few of the Cad softwares that are compatible with dwg and dxf formats. I would like to give them a try. Dan.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:15 AM
Hemikiller

Originally Posted by All Day Dan View Post
Hemi, please list a few of the Cad softwares that are compatible with dwg and dxf formats. I would like to give them a try. Dan.
If a CAD software isn't DWG or DXF compatible, it's pretty much a non-starter for anyone...

Another free one I like is Solid Edge 2D

http://www.plm.automation.siemens.co...2d/index.shtml

If you need to go further, just do a search for "free 2d cad", you'll get dozens of hits. I honestly wouldn't worry about the whole ownership issue with Draftsight, it's not going anywhere,

If you want to purchase your software, TurboCAD is pretty good and is dirt cheap if you get an older release.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...2Ck%3Aturbocad
Old 06-02-2014, 03:56 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Windows 8.1 has a handy compatibility mode that you can try. I have a old program that is running with its help. The info on it is here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ersion-windows
Old 06-03-2014, 04:37 PM
All Day Dan

Thanks 8178. When I take the plunge, I may need it or just get new software. Dan.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:48 PM
All Day Dan

I sent TurboCAD two of my drawings and they recommended TurboCAD LTE V6. Not knowing what I was doing, I picked up a boxed version which turned out to be V3 for $40 and loaded it into Windows XP 32 bit. One of my friends told me that he judges cad programs by how long it takes him to draw a line without reading the instructions. Well the clock is ticking. I opened an existing AutoCad drawing and tried to draw a line from the mid point “mid” of a line to the end “end” of another. No can do. The inputs are “invalid” Any ideas how this is done?
Old 03-16-2016, 04:39 PM
owldskipper

Hi Dan, I see that this is an old post, but do you still need to do this? I'm an old Englishman who doesn't want to give up using Acad R14. I've got it running on windows 7 and windows 8. so I presume it's the same with windows 10. It won't INSTALL on 64 bit windows, but it will run.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:12 AM
All Day Dan

Skipper, I got AutoCAD 14 running perfectly in Windows 10 with the use of Longbow Software. The $80 it cost was well worth it. Thanks for asking. Dan.