Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Kerf in laser cutting - how much?

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Kerf in laser cutting - how much?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 12:12 PM
toy264

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kerf in laser cutting - how much?

I'm laying out parts to be laser cut. If I want, say, a 1/2 x 1" tab to fit into a 1/2 x 1' slot, how much allowance do I make for the kerf, and does it vary by material thickness and whether it's balsa or ply? The templates are in DXF files.
Thanks
John
Old 09-25-2003, 04:09 PM
fresnoflyer
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Kerf in laser cutting - how much?

John,

You don't need to wory about kerf when drawing your parts. The kerf is set in the laser control by the operator and the machine will compensate for the beam thickness (usually .005" to .010" by the way) depending on if the cut if interior or exterior. Interior cuts like holes and slots comp to the inside, while the exterior of the part comps to the outside. This way the beam is always comping to the side of the part that is scap. So for a 1/2 x 1 tab, you may want to make your slot .505 x 1.005, giving it .005" clearance. At any rate, draw parts exacty how you want them to end up and let the laser to the rest.

Also, when submitting your drawings for cutting at your local shop, be sure and specify the tolerances you expect them to hold. Typically a laser can hold +/- .005" with no problem, but if you arent clear about what you want, tight fitting parts may not fit at all. Hope this helps.

Brandon
Old 09-26-2003, 01:23 AM
toy264

Default RE: Kerf in laser cutting - how much?

Brandon-
Like the Fonz sez, "Exactamundo!" Just what I needed, thanks.

John