Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

A build inspired by Noel Rozelle's "Joy Stick"

Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

A build inspired by Noel Rozelle's "Joy Stick"

Old 01-08-2015, 03:38 AM
madmaks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A build inspired by Noel Rozelle's "Joy Stick"

So I have been removed from this hobby for far too long. My re-newed interest sparked some memories of aircraft I wanted to build in my late teens and early twenties. One of which is a 1/2A ship designed by Noel Rozelle and featured in the April 1975 issue of RCM Magazine. The Joy Stick is a great first build, simplistic, strong, good looks too!
I have a OS Max .20 left over from my early days and decided to scale up Mr. Rozelle's design for this motor. I was able to find the magazine on Ebay
and along with plans I found on Outerzone, http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=1342 shortly after, I began lengthening, widening, strengthening and so forth. This build quickly took a direction I didn't anticipate....If any interest is shown, I'll continue with this thread.

Thanks for reading,
Max
Old 01-13-2015, 03:29 PM
vicrider

Looks interesting, so im watching. I remember this plane when it appeared in RCM. It was later offered in a kit. I remember that cause I wanted one. I believe there was a super joy stick also, cant remember what size that was.

EDIT: There was a super joy stick, here is one that was for sale.http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1959661

Last edited by vicrider; 01-13-2015 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:18 PM
madmaks

Thanks for the reply vicrider. The Super was the one I was looking for, wasn't sure if actually existed. Super Duper for a .60 was another I found. Attached are screenshots of CAD files I've produced thru the design progression. #1 is the basic Joy Stick stretched a bit, #2 has a little more form and #3 is closer to my final design. Some length was taken out of both nose and tail moments for a fuselage length of 31-1/8" I also increased the wing chord to 8-5/8" for the aileron stock to fit better.The span is 42",target weight 48 oz or less. More to come...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuse_2.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	277.6 KB
ID:	2063618   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuse_1.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	266.5 KB
ID:	2063619   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuse_3.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	317.4 KB
ID:	2063620  
Old 01-14-2015, 11:54 AM
vicrider

That looks great. One thing that surprised me while looking at the original joystick was that it was rudder and elevator.
Old 01-14-2015, 03:24 PM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

Going through my junk in the cellar a few weeks ago, I came upon my Joystick that I had built and flown almost 40 years ago. It was powered by a TD.051 and was fast. It was a rudder and elevator machine and had a lot of dihedral. To turn it, you gave it rudder and then elevator. No elevator, no turn. It's still in good shape but needs re-covering. I've thought about electrifying it, but it would need ailerons. My buddy built one with ailerons and less dihedral using a pressurized TD. A great first build from plans.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:45 PM
madmaks

Mr.Mulligan, I'm sure that was a fast plane! Sometimes I think I should have stayed with the more simplistic design of the Joy Stick! I'm too far into it now, and have the look I want. Plus I'm having a blast learning as I go. The resources available on the web are just tremendous, gathering as much as I can. Attached are a few more shots.
Tail section and, although unfinished, the wing plan. Some of the design may come together during construction such as aileron servo, pushrod routing, etc. But I think I have enough to start cutting balsa.
Thanks again to all those viewing,
Max
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Stab_1.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	2066889   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vert_Fin_1.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	2066890   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wing_1.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	2066891  

Last edited by madmaks; 01-23-2015 at 06:32 AM. Reason: Re-load pics
Old 01-22-2015, 08:21 PM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

Going through some other stuff today, I found the plans for the 1/2A version plus templates I made for the parts. Very tempting for a fresh build.