Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Ugly Stik Wing

Old 10-15-2016, 11:22 AM
ETpilot

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Ugly Stik Wing

Today I had to do some welding in my shop. I was using my building table to put tools n supplies. Well this wing was always in my way. So I looked for a place to put it n I saw my Ugly Stik that I have been working on. Perfect place to put the wing.

Then I looked at it and said “that does not look bad at all”. An Ugly Stik with a tapered wing. I don't think I have seen one with this type wing. Anyway thought I'd post a couple of pictures.

Scratch Built Ugly Stik n Wing
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	113
Size:	2.03 MB
ID:	2185791   Click image for larger version

Views:	83
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	2185792  
Old 10-15-2016, 06:25 PM
karolh

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Nice to see someone bashing a kit to make it a bit different from the usual run of the mill models. I don't see any reason why it should not fly just as good. You should see what my 20 plus year old GP Big Stik 60 finally ended up looking like after several bashing exercises. Hurry up and finish it and tell us how the maiden went.
Old 10-15-2016, 06:52 PM
ETpilot

Karolh, I think my original post is not too clear. The wing is for a different model I am building. It was just in my way and I needed to move it. The Ugly Stik just happened to be handy. The wing is almost a perfect fit but a little too wide over the cabin. I do like the look. But following your bashing thought, it would not be hard to build a tapered wing for the Ugly Stik. Maybe on its first crash I will have the opportunity. Lol.

I built the Stik a while back. I am getting it ready for a maiden flight. Here it is in full dress.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Views:	58
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	2186009  
Old 10-15-2016, 07:11 PM
karolh

It looks real nice and I do like your choice of colours which should be quite a standout in the air. Every time I see those scalloped ailerons I remember the PITA mine were to cover. What is the w/span of your model and best of luck on your maiden.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:13 AM
ETpilot

This is the first model I built getting back into the hobby. It was really a learning experience as so much had changed in the hobby. The color design is not my own. I searched for a design and found an Ugly Stik with these colors. Different graphics. Mine is Koverall fabric and paint. I agree, ailerons were a pain to cover. I built it for a gas engine but changed my mind on that. So I had to move the fuselage servos way forward and add 4 ounces to the engine mount.

OS 65AX, wingspan 64”, firewall to rudder TE 52”, should weigh in about 7 lbs.
Old 10-16-2016, 03:44 PM
karolh

My Big Stik started out with a ASP 61 and trike gear. Later on I switched to gas using a Zenoah G20 converted to EI by Ralph Cunningham. To offset the additional weight of the gasser I relocated both rudder and elevator servos to the rear, used dual servos for the ailerons and changed the l/gear to a tail dragger. At 68" w/span it has an all up weight of approx. 8.5 lbs and still flies ever so sweetly.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:07 PM
ETpilot

Originally Posted by karolh View Post
My Big Stik started out with a ASP 61 and trike gear. Later on I switched to gas using a Zenoah G20 converted to EI by Ralph Cunningham. To offset the additional weight of the gasser I relocated both rudder and elevator servos to the rear, used dual servos for the ailerons and changed the l/gear to a tail dragger. At 68" w/span it has an all up weight of approx. 8.5 lbs and still flies ever so sweetly.
Sounds like a nice Big Stik you have there. I really like the Ugly Stik. Today I weighed it and guess what? Same weight as yours, 8.5 lbs. I just need to do the throttle linkage and tail wheel hookup and it's done. Just run in the engine and ready to go.

This is winter I may work on that tapered wing for the Ugly Stik. I don't need to build another airplane. Once I complete my current build, I'll have 4 planes for maiden flights, including the Stik. After the Stik I will work on my scratch built Kadet LT-40. That one needs just a few things to get it ready. I may fly it before the Stik.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:28 PM
karolh

That .65AX up front is going to haul your Sweet Stick around with lots of authority and I'm quite sure that you are going to have loads of fun flying it, so hurry up and get it finished and have a successful maiden.