Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Building 1/12 scale radial engine cowl

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Building 1/12 scale radial engine cowl

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 07:37 PM
skoda450

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building 1/12 scale radial engine cowl

My plans from the 70's call for the cowl to be built using the "balloon method" Anyone ever heard of this and how it is accomplished?

Last edited by skoda450; 11-06-2017 at 07:38 PM. Reason: misspelled word
Old 11-07-2017, 05:01 AM
R8893
My Feedback: (20)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

That technique showed up in several build articles in magazines back then. You start with a male plug. Lay the glass and resin on the outside of the plug. Then get a balloon and blow it up and pinch off the nozzle(???). Next force the balloon over the glass and plug while slowly letting the air escape from the balloon. You should end up with the balloon tightly stretched over the layup. I never did do this myself.
Chuck
Old 11-07-2017, 07:54 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

That seems like a good way to get smooth resin but doesn't the balloon stick to it? Or is it supposed to?
Old 11-07-2017, 12:03 PM
skoda450

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That'a what I thought. It sounds like a great way to limit the amount of work needed on a one-off mold like this. I have the male mold built and some 12" balloons. The process almost works on a dry run w/o resin/fiberglass on the mold. I think the balloons are too small as the plug is 5" across and 4" long. I can get the balloon to about 2/3 down the plug but I can never get it to cover the whole thing when the air is let out.
I think before before I go too much further I need to try a mock-up with resin/fiberglass to see if the balloon does release when the epoxy is cured. If not, this process is flawed and I will need to go another route.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:35 PM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skoda450
That'a what I thought. It sounds like a great way to limit the amount of work needed on a one-off mold like this. I have the male mold built and some 12" balloons. The process almost works on a dry run w/o resin/fiberglass on the mold. I think the balloons are too small as the plug is 5" across and 4" long. I can get the balloon to about 2/3 down the plug but I can never get it to cover the whole thing when the air is let out.
I think before before I go too much further I need to try a mock-up with resin/fiberglass to see if the balloon does release when the epoxy is cured. If not, this process is flawed and I will need to go another route.
If you decide to go another route, Fiberglass Specialties makes radial cowls of all sizes.

Fiberglass Specialties Inc Catalog

under the "cowl & accessories for plans" page.