Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Tower Trainer 60 ARF

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 07:07 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tower Trainer 60 ARF

I know, Yes I know, how dare I say the dreaded ARF in the scratch build section.

I had a whole bunch of them. I got so good I could open the box and have it in the air in less than 2 hours. So, if I could find on NIB I would most likely get it. I want to scratch out one of them but there are no plans. I think it was based on the PT60 but not sure. It flew so well with a O.S. 70 Fs in the nose. Would cruise around at a high idle just floating on the wing. They would get fuel soaked pretty fast with the self stick covering so they did not last that long.

Was this an ARF PT60?

I have plans for the RCm Trainer, it is a 40 sized and if I print the plans out at 132% I get the 72 inch span of the TT60 span. I also have the Eagle 63 plans, if I print those out at 116% I get the 72 inches. I think either would give me the floaty, easy fly, super slow cruise speed I am looking for?

Buzz.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:05 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I know how we can become attached to some designs. But if you're looking for light and floaty how about an old timer free flight adapted to full house RC? Lots of fun to build and they certainly come out light. And there's no lack of options that actually look fairly racy if you prefer. Or a bit different due to being parasol designs instead of just the usual cabin style. Just a thought to consider.....
Old 02-13-2018, 06:41 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That plane is just one of those you have an affinity for. it was nothing special, just a trainer, butt he hours and hours, gallons and gallons of fuel. I flew it so much, I could get it where it was hanging on the wing, just a butterfly's wing beats above a stall, holding almost full elevator, yet still had control, could fly around like that. Give a little more elevator, see the nose come up a bit, but the plane just hangs there, then will climb a bit, then settle back. It was the one I flew way outside of the flight envelope. I also used it as a glider tug, JATO practice, parachute drop, I built a box under the belly, put in pounds of those tiny rubber guys with the chutes. Would get it as high as I could see it, drop them.

I have a Quaker I scratched from plans, it was the old Flyline 0.020 Quaker, I made it 72 inch and runs on a .48Fs. She is lite weight. I dont try to fly when the winds pick up. Just like a leaf on the breeze. Full throttle, a touch of down, I think I can, I think I can as it heads into the wind.

I think you always need a trainer in your fleet. It is one of those planes you can always fly. Sort of like an Ugly Stick, every one should have 1 or 3

Buzz.