Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Which wood can i replace with basswood?

Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Which wood can i replace with basswood?

Old 05-26-2018, 10:57 PM
Motorboy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which wood can i replace with basswood?

Hi folks!

I am building the plane "Slow Poke 40" from drawings. Then i looked on the plan of horizontal stabilizer where the wood strip is made of basswood. The problem is the basswood is not available in hobby shop or in warehouse for wood. Which wood can i use instead basswood?
This basswood strip is reinforcement for horizontal stabilizer.

Old 05-27-2018, 01:28 AM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Almost anything that is harder than balsa (but not too heavy). Spruce would be a good option. Alternatively, you could use a piece of any straight-grained white wood like poplar that you could find at home depot but you'll have to strip it down to size.

Being a slow-poke 40, unless you plan on over-powering it, you could also probably get away with a piece of very hard balsa.
Old 05-27-2018, 01:33 AM
Motorboy

RBACONS,.. thanks a lot!
Old 05-27-2018, 06:37 AM
ByLoudDesign

Balsa Wood Sheets, Balsa Wood Blocks, Balsa Wood Sticks, Balsa Wood Supplies, Aircraft Grade Birch Plywood, Lite Plywood, Basswood Sheets Basswood Strips
Old 05-27-2018, 01:00 PM
r ward

spruce, white pine , poplar, fir , alder, luan. for a piece of that size,...just about anything harder than balsa will do just fine. you could go to 1/4 x 13/16 and use any maple or oak and just adjust the lengths of the trussing and center panel that attaches to it (or leave the stab's chord 1/16 narrower with no harm, as well.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:00 PM
buzzard bait

Bear in mind the reputation for tail heaviness this plane has. Also, other planes this size have stabs built with balsa. I would use a good firm piece of balsa and forget about adding hardwood to the tail.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:02 PM
Pylonracr

I would use 1/4" square balsa. I see no reason for hardwood there.

Scott
Old 06-08-2018, 04:15 AM
dirtdart

I had a slowpoke with an OS .25 spinning a 3 bladed prop, 8 by something. What a great little airplane. I agree, balsa ought to work. But, if you are really worried about the strength, laminate a couple of pieces of 1/8" strip or throw in a strip of carbon fiber. Depending on the weight of the balsa, 1/4" can be pretty delicate, whereas two 1/8" strips CA together can be surprisingly strong. If you don't think your hinges will go deeper then the plans show, carbon fiber will make that stab really strong. Just have to work out the thickness of the fiber.

Trailing edge
Carbon Fiber
Balsa strip.

Fun airplane, well the .25 slow poke. Especially if you can find some trexel tires. Just seems to fit the cartoonish lines of the airplanes a la clancy lazy bee,
Old 06-08-2018, 08:17 AM
r ward

I've seen and had hard pieces of balsa with just about the same density as any one of the woods I've listed. when you adjust the scantling for a hard wood, you have roughly the same weight as the balsa piece and better rigidity for the same span. the other alternative is to go with light soft balsa and increase the scantling to compensate for strength of the lighter wood. I've also made boxed structures as alternates, taking advantage of built up structural stiffness. two layers of thinner sheet with a spar spacer between, making up the front and rear edges of a beam that might be the horizontal stab's hinge line and the leading edge of the elevator . a little more work with all the glue up but it does result in a nice stiff and light weight box-beam that can be shaped for the hinge line, by controlling the width of the mating spacer spars in the elevator and stab.
you could also use two carbon fiber tubes of a diameter that matches the chord of the stab/elevator as the hinge line components and epoxy the stab's and elevator's truss-work to them. then use a sewn hinge. carbon arrow shafts work great for that. with careful radiusing of the truss ends (for a good fit against the carbon shaft), 5 minute epoxy is all you need.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:13 AM
Skyhawk940

A strip of 1/8 liteply would work fine.

Skyhawk
Old 06-19-2018, 04:35 AM
buzzard bait

It probably would, but a 5 ply piece has 40% of the grain in the wrong direction, so it's not an efficient way to reinforce this piece. Balsa will be fine if reasonably hard and straight-grained.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:28 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Skyhawk940 View Post
A strip of 1/8 liteply would work fine.

Skyhawk
I wouldn't use lite ply as it's mostly soft balsa, sandwiched between two pieces of thin veneer. If I was looking to beef up the structure, I'd be looking at spruce stick stock, the previously mentioned hard balsa or some 1/8" aircraft grade plywood
Old 06-20-2018, 12:59 PM
Motorboy

Hi, i has allready used the spruce stick in the stabilizer and the fuselage with fin/rudder and stabilizer/elevator is ready. The last work is the main wing.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:41 PM
Skyhawk940

Do you have a Pat Catan's store close, they have balsa and basswood.

Skyhawk
Old 06-28-2018, 05:12 AM
r ward

you're in the right country to find good spruce !.