Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Senior Telemaster Engine Thrust Angle and Wing Washout? >

Senior Telemaster Engine Thrust Angle and Wing Washout?

Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Senior Telemaster Engine Thrust Angle and Wing Washout?

Old 09-09-2018, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Senior Telemaster Engine Thrust Angle and Wing Washout?

I am currently drafting my plans for a senior telemaster with many mods to it, including
no dihedral on wings,
two part wings with carbon fiber wing joiner,
two part fuselage,
trike landing gear?under carriage,
cutout windows and pilot door for scale looks and
detachable tail plane.
i am stuck at two points:
1. Is there any right engine offset on senior telemaster? because my plans only show a 3% down thrust and no right thrust.
2. should i add some washout in the wings? is it worth the extra effort?
many thanks in advance.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:20 AM
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The RCM plan on Outerzone shows a 3* down and 2* right thrust setting.

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=5044
Old 09-13-2018, 06:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you completely remove the dihedral, some washout is strongly suggested. that is my opinion based on what I know about the two aerodynamics. i'm sure others will chip in their ideas, i'm not always inline with what the "in crowd " seems to think in this forum.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:32 PM

[QUOTE=Hemikiller;12461751]The RCM plan on Outerzone shows a 3* down and 2* right thrust setting.

yeah got it thanks. but what do you think about wing washout?
Old 09-18-2018, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by r ward
if you completely remove the dihedral, some washout is strongly suggested. that is my opinion based on what I know about the two aerodynamics. i'm sure others will chip in their ideas, i'm not always inline with what the "in crowd " seems to think in this forum.
thank for the suggestion rward. how much washout would you suggest and at what point in the wing should it start?
Old 09-18-2018, 05:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

typically a couple degrees is all that's necessary. I would just start at the root and shim the trailing edge to creat a straight but gradual transition from root to tip. bending the trailing edge to create some washout will never hold it's shape. there is always some spring back and there's no guarantee that springback will be the same from side to side. with different pieces of wood used. even if a built up trailing edge using strips from the same sheet, there is variables in gluing and or clamping that would result in two different shapes.....a straight line is a straight line no matter where it is and one straight line is the same as any other straight line.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:16 AM
My Feedback: (29)

Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts

Iím not sure what dihedral or lack of has to do with washout. My last 3 designs had little to zero dihedral and no washout and are all great performers. Perhaps an explanation will be offered on that one. I do agree though that on this application, washout is not a bad idea and the described method of building it into the wing along with the amount is spot on. Down and side thrust IMO depends on the amount of power in the nose. More power, more angle.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:26 AM
My Feedback: (29)

Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts

Oh, almost forgot. Donít forget aileron differential.