Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

AutoCad - prepare drawing for laser cutting

Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

AutoCad - prepare drawing for laser cutting

Old 01-22-2019, 02:22 AM
mike666

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AutoCad - prepare drawing for laser cutting

Hi

I've traced out a plan in AutoCad. What do I do next to prepare the various formers for sending to a laser cutter. I'm thinking that I'll have to place the parts so they would effectively 'print out' on a 4" X 18" sheet of balsa. Is it just a case of draw a 4"x18" box at the origin and place the parts in there?

Also, how do you handle the little bridge tabs to keep the formers held in the sheet? Is it as simple as making sure you delete some spots in your former outlines?

Anyone got any experience with DIY laser cutting ... there are some relatively cheap machines out there.

cheers

mike
Old 01-22-2019, 09:07 AM
ByLoudDesign

There is a lot of work to be done. Every line must be a Poly line. The all shapes need to be continuous poly lines Say you are looking at a fuselage station with all its notches, It must be turned in to one continuous poly line. You need to check the cutter you are going to use for what color your cut lines and PN text should be. My cutter AK Models uses RED for cut lines and GREEN for PN text. You also need to know what font to use for text. If I can help further let me know, say use of the commands!
Old 01-22-2019, 08:39 PM
alex5

Generally,you break the polylines at strategic intervals to create the holding tabs, 1/16" is enough.Alex
Old 01-22-2019, 10:13 PM
ByLoudDesign

You'll only need two breaks, excepts for the long parts, and 1/16" is enough
Old 03-01-2020, 10:31 AM
grillo

Talking example for cutting

Originally Posted by mike666 View Post
Hi

I've traced out a plan in AutoCad. What do I do next to prepare the various formers for sending to a laser cutter. I'm thinking that I'll have to place the parts so they would effectively 'print out' on a 4" X 18" sheet of balsa. Is it just a case of draw a 4"x18" box at the origin and place the parts in there?

Also, how do you handle the little bridge tabs to keep the formers held in the sheet? Is it as simple as making sure you delete some spots in your former outlines?

Anyone got any experience with DIY laser cutting ... there are some relatively cheap machines out there.

cheers

mike
Hi Mike there are a lot of cheep laser machines out there but you need to talk to youre laser guy; he will convert the dxf to the cutting software and arrange the parts for your specific needs; these in regards of table cutting dimension and also power set up heres an example of how I cut my own parts

the bridge is aded per request

arranged per table size

Old 03-19-2020, 07:15 PM
whiskey29

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

join the lines with pedit command. then type m for multiple. next select all lines and close.
dont forget to calculate the kerf (ask the cutter how much you need to add to compensate the cutting kerf)
you can offset for the kerf, there are parts where you want to do inward and outward offset.
then you can create the little tab to be cut out later with two lines and trim.
Old 05-11-2020, 12:09 PM
CXXXV

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a great piece of software for laser cutting called LightBurn. Easy to use and works very well. You can import the DXF to LB.
Old 05-14-2020, 11:32 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to add to what has already been suggested. I make sure to keep all my parts at least 1/16" away from the edge of the material all the way around. Many times you will find that, for example, a supposedly 4 inch wide piece of balsa is in fact something a bit less than 4 inches. To allow for the kerf of the laser I offset my cut lines by .005" for most types of wood which has worked out good for me in 99% of cases. Be sure to offset to the inside on notches, wing tube holes, and other interior cuts!