Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Super Sporster 40 sort of

Old 04-01-2020, 09:36 AM
flyingagin

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks AndyNealG

Canopies are no longer available. I Check with Great Planes. And I don't have one myself. So no canopy for this one Just a wind shield.

Also a S.S would not fit mine any way. I made it slightly wider than stock so as to fit a 10 ounce tank in it.

Not ready to try and learn to pull my own canopy at this time.

I thought about 4 servos for the wing for a fair bit of time and doing crow. But this small a plane it is not likely to be any advantage.

Ken

Old 04-01-2020, 09:49 AM
AndyNealG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, there is only so much time, so the wind screen sounds good. I wanted a cowl fully enclosed because of the electric, but the fibreglass people had them for 40, 90, 120 but no 60. So I drew one up in solidworks and my friend printed it on his 3-d printer. Took a while altogether.
Andy
Old 04-02-2020, 08:15 AM
flyingagin

Mom passed away last night in her sleep, peacefully in her sleep

Ken
Old 04-02-2020, 08:27 AM
AndyNealG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for your loss. Thank God her going was peacefull.
ANG
Old 04-02-2020, 01:00 PM
flyingagin

Thanks Andy

It was expected. My wife and I took care of her the last few years even as it got harder to do. It is still not known if or what kind of funeral can be done. Virus.

For now I put both planes in a storage rack for safe keep. I am cleaning out the house. Will be getting ready to sell it and move from California to Kansas. So that is my main concentration right now. But I would like to get both planes covered before packing in a moving van. They will transport better that way. I have learned that one the hard way.

Ken
Old 05-08-2020, 04:14 PM
flyingagin

I need to get back to the 2 builds (airplanes) I have going. I have the glue for the windshield and the plastic. The plane is ready fro the next step which is the windshield.

I have an order in for all I need to finish off the Pacific Ace and to take the Super Sporster to the ready to cover point. The S.S. will still need me to buy a battery, receiver, and servos, unless I rob another plane. I forgot to buy the nyrods for the elevator, and rudder control runs. So I can't close the bottom up till then on the S.S.

It is real slow now for orders to be filled and shipping is also slow

I am also working on a mostly non plane related project. Once done it will bee useful for transporting planes.

I have price shells before for my truck a Ford F250. Forget about it!!!!!!. So I am building my own. It won't be as slick or pretty as a factory made solution, just a few thousand $ cheaper. Even second hand shells are way to rich for my blood. If I could even find one to fit my truck. The bed box is a standard size on the inside, but the outside is wider being a super duty.

So I have the framing done done except for the roof framing. I have the sides, front and back sheets cut to size basically. I have left the front and back a little bit bigger at this time. I have the window opening for the driver side cut out. It did come out slightly looser fit than I desire. I will fill that. Will add some ply and fiberglass the fill. I waiting till I do that before cutting the passenger side window opening.

I also have an order in for epoxy, West Systems 105, A gallon of resin and 1/5 gallon of hardener (5:1 mix ratio, and three pumps. A pump for the resin and two hardener pumps. I only bought the slow hardener but will have a spare pump for a faster hardener later. That's they way the kit comes 3 pumps. The kit was not cheap and will be more epoxy than I need for glassing the shell. I also have 25 yards of fiberglass on order. Again I will have excess cloth, but it is 3.75 ounce, so will have airplane use later on.

I have been pushing hard every day, till I am just to worn out and back hurting to much to do any other work, like get this airplane past the next step.

It' is not often the wife says order whatever you need for a project. But that is what she did for this shell.

Ken