Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Foam core blasa sheeting 43" sport wing - does it works

Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Foam core blasa sheeting 43" sport wing - does it works

Old 01-21-2021, 01:36 AM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I recall seeing wing designs where there's one or more long, triangular or oblong, piece of glass or carbon cloth laid where a spar might be placed.
Old 03-05-2021, 10:32 AM
critx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So after some good recovery I'm now able to spend some time in my shop.
Below shared some pictures with progress of this week.
Wings from white foam cutted with hot wire then laminated with 1.5mm balsa and vacuum bagged.
Fuselage, started as well built from balsa and applied 18g figerglass using water based polycrylic.

Old 07-15-2021, 05:30 AM
critx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After building this plane that it turns that flies very well I found that sheeting foam core wings with balsa and fiberglass is adding still too much weight for small wing span. This technique is great for larger scale planes may be over 2kg flying weight.
The killer weight is the balsa. In my case the light 1.5mm balsa sheets for a full 1100mm wing span was 210g balsa only. The wing ready with servos and tube (50mm fiberglass tube inside wing) was close to 320g.

Next week I'll make a test preparing some flexible 1mm balsa sheet +18g fiberglass let it cure than I intend to laminate over the foam core. The foam cores are cut on a CNC with good smooth quality. In this case the balsa for the same area should be at least 70g less.

I wander what are the best reliable alternative technique to cover direct over foam core for a max 1200mm wing span?