Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Big Stik 60 - Practical Modifications

Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Big Stik 60 - Practical Modifications

Old 05-23-2021, 11:43 PM
erans

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Big Stik 60 - Practical Modifications

I recently completed the scratch built of a Big Stik 60, and thought that some of the modifications I made will be of interest to others.
Now that my aeroplane has completed 10 flight, I can genuinely say that it is up there as the of the most fun aeroplanes I have ever flown (and I have been doing this since 1987).

The plans I used were a free download of plans "Big_Stik_60_oz11467" available here
https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=11467
This version of the "Stik" is Don Anderson's plan for the kit by Great Planes.

The main structural change that I made was to the way the wing attaches to the fuselage. The plans illustrates a four bolt attachment setup. The later ARF versions by Great Planes used the center rib W1 with a protruding "tab", modified to fit a slot in the fuselage former F2. I copied this concept as it is very practical. As seen in the last photo, former F2 was reinforced in the back (this is what the clamps are holding in the fuel tank bay) to spread the loads.
To establish the height for the modified W1 extended tab, I made a small jig as seen in the photos and attached it to the original Balsa W1. The new W1 was made out of Birch Plywood to take the loads. While I was re-cutting W1, I eliminated the recess for the center mounted servo.

More in the next post,
Cheers,
Eran

Last edited by erans; 05-23-2021 at 11:47 PM.
Old 05-23-2021, 11:50 PM
erans

Another change that I made was to have separate servos for the ailerons. This required a very simple modification as shown in the photos below and explain why I eliminated the center servo mount notches in W1.

Cheers,
Eran
Old 05-24-2021, 12:26 AM
erans

The best experience with this specific model is with a 0.90 size four stroke engine. Between my friends and my own model we now have five of these Stiks, one powered by a 0.60 two stroke (Enya) and the others with four stroke engines (an old Enya 90-4C, O.S. FS-95V and two, including my own, with an O.S. FS-91 Surpass II). The four stroke powered models fly better.
Before assembling my aeroplane I noticed in the hobby shop a throttle linkage made by Du-Bro that I have never seen before. It does make connecting the throttle of a four stroke engine easier.
Due to the larger prop used with the 0.90 engines (a 14x7), a longer front leg and main gear are required compared with the plans. A friend found a main landing gear in his spares box that fitted. I think it is from a crashed Great Planes ARF version of this plan.

To counter the extra weight of the heavier engine, the rudder and elevator servos were placed in the back. Make sure you stagger them in the narrow tail section and that you avoid the space taken by the vertical fin as it protrudes into the fuselage. I placed a lite plywood doubler inside that tail section areas.
The throttle and steering servos were placed at the back of the main bay under the wing, as shown in the photos. No additional weight was required to balance the aeroplane.

Cheers,
Eran
Old 05-24-2021, 01:34 AM
erans

As I mentioned in the opening, the Big Stik 60 is a great flyer. With these small modifications and equipment installation suggestions you will end up with a a slightly more practical, modernised, great flying Stik,

Cheers,
Eran
Old 05-25-2021, 07:23 PM
Corsairacobra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eran,

Nice Big Stik! I had one in the late 1980s. It was a taildragger powered by a Webra 60. Later I picked up an Uproar 60 and bashed it into a triple. It was too much so flew it as a twin. I've always wanted to turn a Big Stik into a twin. You've got me thinking!

Thanks for the trip down memory lane!
-Scott
Old 05-25-2021, 08:01 PM
erans

Scott - I wonder if you have a photo of the triple engines version?
I planned many times to build a Stik as a twin, but never got to it. It is still on my to-do list.

Cheers,
Eran
Old 05-28-2021, 07:08 AM
Corsairacobra

Eran,

Here's a few printed pictures I scanned in, the color is little off. It should be yellow and brown.

First pic is as a twin, last two are when it was a triple.

Enjoy,
-Scott

Old 05-28-2021, 06:14 PM
erans

Thank you Scott, these type of experiments are inspiring.

Cheers,
Eran
Old 05-28-2021, 06:47 PM
Corsairacobra

Your welcome Eran! They are inspiring me to start a new project too!

I used three OS 46LAs spinning 10-6 props. Three engines were too much, even at idle it came in too hot for comfort. When I pulled the center motor to make it a twin it flew much better and made for a more relaxing plane to fly. Eventually an engine out situation coupled with my inexperience caused its demise.

I came across the plans for the Uproar 60 a month or so ago... you have got me thinking, I wonder what four 25s would do on a scratch built Uproar 60???

-Scott
Old 05-28-2021, 11:49 PM
erans

Scott - Unless you already have them, finding four .25 glow engines these days will be quite difficult : )
I do like the idea of four engines Uproar 60....

Cheers,
Eran
Old 05-29-2021, 07:00 PM
Corsairacobra

Eran,

Good point, I've got two different 25s. I guess I'll have to luck out at a swap meet or venture out on ebay. I plan on building a Duelist next year, already have two 46AXs. Maybe a twin Uproar would be a good trainer for the Duelist?

-Scott
Old 05-30-2021, 12:24 AM
erans

Scott - I will be looking forward to hear what you end up doing,

Cheers,
Eran