Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

question about plans

Old 07-19-2021, 01:05 PM
hawkman-RCU

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question question about plans

ive been building and flying kits and scratch built since 1981. im wanting to make a sig hummer three times larger. can i take the original plans somewhere and have them blown up. thank you.
Old 07-19-2021, 11:22 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 85 Likes on 82 Posts

Most blueprinting shops can do that for you though they may not be able to do it all on a single width of paper. Keep in mind that you will probably have to add more ribs and maybe a second spar to keep the wings strong enough to lift the plane. This was well illustrated when Sig blew up one of their designs, only to have the wing fold up on it while in flight
Old 07-20-2021, 08:44 AM
hawkman-RCU

Default thanks

thank you hydro, and thanks for the advice about more ribs and spars..
Old 07-26-2021, 06:32 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 89 Likes on 83 Posts

That puts you with a wingspan over 100”. I think it would be best to do plug in wings that are balsa sheeted foam. Much easier to do in this scale and actually stronger/lighter then built up wings.
Old 07-26-2021, 07:16 PM
hawkman-RCU

thanks speedracer. i will consider that option.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:34 AM
mgnostic

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie View Post
Most blueprinting shops can do that for you though they may not be able to do it all on a single width of paper. Keep in mind that you will probably have to add more ribs and maybe a second spar to keep the wings strong enough to lift the plane. This was well illustrated when Sig blew up one of their designs, only to have the wing fold up on it while in flight
Hydro Junkie has a good point. There is nothing wrong with popping over to Outerzone and having a look at sport planes with a 100 inch wing or there abouts. It's not that difficult to add the extra spar along with shear webs and center section reinforcement.
Old 08-06-2021, 04:37 AM
Bill Diedrich

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Having looked at the assembly instruction manual online, I think that it would also be advantageous
to put full span webbing on the main wing spars and also possibly do some diagonal bracing out into
the wing. I agree on the wing tube idea and 3-piece wings, easier to transport and an overall stronger
wing. Consider sheeting the wing forward of the main spar which is known as a "D" tube once the webbing
pieces are installed between the top & bottom main wing spars. I would also recommend the main spars
be out of Basswood or Spruce instead of balsa.