Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Building RC Airplane from Scratch

Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Building RC Airplane from Scratch

Old 10-17-2021, 04:33 PM
Aananda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building RC Airplane from Scratch

Greetings everyone, this will be a first post, we have been directed to this site to ask questions regarding scratch building an RC aircraft. We hope we are in the right place. This is my first scratch-built project and I would like to begin with two questions regarding plans and prints.

1) If you have a set of building plans on a pdf file and you are going to print out a hard copy of the plans, how do you know what size copy to make in order for the plans to be of the appropriate scale?

2). In building a scratch-built aircraft, when purchasing additional hardware like wheels, a pilot, etc., how do you determine the size necessary for that particular size or scale aircraft so you know you are purchasing the appropriately sized pieces?

Any help would be appreciated an if further clarification is needed, please let me know. Sometimes my communication skills aren't what they should be.

Thank you,
Philip
Old 10-17-2021, 05:07 PM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

1. First, just because the pdf looks small on your computer does not mean that it prints out that size. Try opening the PDF, doing PRINT, set the print options to 100% (it probably opened with FIT selected) and it should tell you how big the document actually is. Usually you can just have a large-format print-capable shop print the file and it will come out correct as long as they can do a true 1-to-1 print.

In addition, some plans will have a scale marking on them (i.e., |_______| = 1 inch) or indicate the actual wingspan of the model. Either can be used to check the print out to ensure it's accurate.

2. If it's a true scratch build, one would normally research the aircraft to find out what size tires it used. If its a plan build, then the plans would normally have the wheels shown on the plan and you can measure them. Generally, if the build is at say 1/4 scale, you would find wheels that most closely matched 1/4 the size of the full scale or the size of the plan's wheels. Pilots are a bit of a crap shoot. Again, just find one closest to the scaled-down size of your model. Generally, WWI pilots are slightly shorter than WWII pilots and are shorter than modern pilots.
Old 10-17-2021, 08:02 PM
BMatthews

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Yep, if working from a set of plans it's typical to see a size for wheels. Typically it's the same for any commercial stock canopies. And often the plan suggests a brand and size of pilot.

If building a scale model that does not suggest a size for the pilot then it's....

Model Span in inches X 68 inches = height for a scale version of a 5ft 10inch pilot for a full model with arms and legs.
Real plane span in inches

If working with just the head and bust use the same scale factor for spans in inches X 9.5 inches. That's the height of my own head. Look in a mirror with a ruler along your head to check your own head.
Old 10-18-2021, 04:38 PM
Aananda

Hi Guys,

Thank you so much for your responses. You both helped me to understand a lot. I realize that I am doing a plan build and I have a set of plans on a pdf that I will bring to Office Depot later in the week. Once I have a hard copy that is of the correct size I think I will be ready to go. This will actually be one of my winter projects. Thank you once again and I am sure I will have many more questions to come.

Have a great week,
Philip
Old 11-09-2021, 09:59 PM
ragnaroks

Hi Philip so whats on the scratch build menu. Im part way through a f6f hellcat from free online plans which I found did not piece together very well.
Dave.