Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

CNC router or laser?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2021, 12:17 AM
Smokeyr67

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default CNC router or laser?

Hi folks,

I’ve been given the go ahead by Mrs Claus to spend a few bucks on a CNC machine, and I was hoping to get your opinion as to whether a laser or router would be better for my needs.

In the price range I can get a 600x 900 80 watt laser cutter, or a 600 x 1200 router, so either will be big enough, but I’m a bit confused about which machine would be better for cutting parts from balsa and ply?

I’d really love your advice, I can see advantages to both, so I’m in a bit of a quandarie about which direction to go.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Smokey
Old 12-24-2021, 06:00 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

My CNC3018 has a laser as well. You will limit what you can do with just a laser.
Old 12-24-2021, 08:30 AM
ByLoudDesign

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Smokeyr67
Hi folks,

I’ve been given the go ahead by Mrs Claus to spend a few bucks on a CNC machine, and I was hoping to get your opinion as to whether a laser or router would be better for my needs.

In the price range I can get a 600x 900 80 watt laser cutter, or a 600 x 1200 router, so either will be big enough, but I’m a bit confused about which machine would be better for cutting parts from balsa and ply?

I’d really love your advice, I can see advantages to both, so I’m in a bit of a quandarie about which direction to go.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Smokey
You do not indicate your needs?? But here is my 2 cents! A laser is more useful to a model builder as it cut parts out that can be placed closer together on the blanks. You don't have the dog bones on all the notches and slot. A 80 watt laser will cut quickly , but you need a way to blow away the smoke so it doesn't deposit on the parts. It will take less time at the same travel speed to cut a part as it doesn't have to do the dog bones!
Old 12-28-2021, 06:55 AM
Smokeyr67

Originally Posted by rgburrill
My CNC3018 has a laser as well. You will limit what you can do with just a laser.
Thanks, I never even considered that to be an option, but it is for the router I’m looking out so that sounds perfect!

Originally Posted by ByLoudDesign
You do not indicate your needs?? But here is my 2 cents! A laser is more useful to a model builder as it cut parts out that can be placed closer together on the blanks. You don't have the dog bones on all the notches and slot. A 80 watt laser will cut quickly , but you need a way to blow away the smoke so it doesn't deposit on the parts. It will take less time at the same travel speed to cut a part as it doesn't have to do the dog bones!
Sorry, I should have reined in my excitement and gotten into some of the nitty gritty

I’m mainly looking at cutting parts from both balsa and ply initially (nothing overly thick, maybe 3mm balsa and up to about 6 mm ply), but I can see a lot of other uses for both as I do my research.
The router table I’m looking at has the option of a 4.2 W laser Axiom laser option which sounded great until I read your bit about 80W lasers! I was bit confused because on the page I linked to they state that it’s the “strongest available laser accessory on the market”, but I failed to see “accessory” part, so I’m back on track now.

I’m a bit worried about cutting thin balsa on a router, I envisage a lot of tear out, but I honestly have no idea if that would be true, it’s just my uninformed assumption. I was thinking that a laser would be better for thin material, but is 4.2 W powerful enough?

Anyhow, thank you both for your replies, it looks like I have a lot more research to do.

Thx
Smokey
Old 01-04-2022, 04:39 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

As someone who has both, the laser is your better option for average thickness balsa and ply.

a 4.2w laser is good for engraving, but you’ll never cut anything of substantial thickness with it. The ole “jack of all, master of none” phrase comes to mind with cnc routers w/ laser attachments. They both work, but how well.

an 80watt laser will cut pretty much anything up to 1/4” ply and 3/8” balsa with a single pass (with the correct focal length, lense and mirror alignment).
Old 01-07-2022, 09:49 AM
Smokeyr67

Thanks for getting back to me Thomas, your input has been great!

I’ve decided to buy a good CNC router initially, I can see a lot more use for it in my other hobby (wood working) than I do a laser. I might buy the optional laser head just to burn in part numbers on the ply parts I route, and maybe write pithy sayings on bar signs and the like

I’ve been watching a lot of YouTube videos regarding laser cutters, some confuse me but in combination with your advice I think that I’ll be looking for a CO2 laser in the 100 watt range. Cooling and ventilation are something I need to consider, but I shouldn’t have an issue with ventilation, I’ll just pipe it similar to my current dust collection system. Software seems to be an issue, do you have any recommendations in that regard?

Thanks again,

Shane.