Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Foam cutter power supply

Old 11-28-2022, 06:54 PM
Joel308cal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Foam cutter power supply

Im not sure if this is the correct spot to post this. I am in the process of rebuilding my power supply for foam cutting since my 30yr old DIY project finally kicked the bucket lol. That project used a 24V, 2amp transformer from RadioShack. I am wondering if this AC to DC converter would work. According to the calculations for a 40 bow with 26 gauge nichrome wire I would need roughly 20v and just under 2.5A. Should I step it up to 4A? Have any of you gents used anything like this before? TIA
Old 11-30-2022, 07:28 PM
paulo810

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your DIY power converter lasted 30 years, why not just make another one? You'll probably be dead before that one fails, LOL
I have a DIY in my garage based on a RS transformer that is close to 20 years old and still functions like new. Keep it simple. The one in the picture you posted looks way overkill to me.
Old 11-30-2022, 07:50 PM
Joel308cal

Originally Posted by paulo810 View Post
If your DIY power converter lasted 30 years, why not just make another one? You'll probably be dead before that one fails, LOL
I have a DIY in my garage based on a RS transformer that is close to 20 years old and still functions like new. Keep it simple. The one in the picture you posted looks way overkill to me.
i actually went a different direction. I used a 19.5v, 6.5A laptop charger with a 12v to 24v light dimmer and fuse. It works freaking awesome. I can go down to 1.0v to max 19.6v and anything in between. But, best of all, I have an unlimited amount of laptop chargers for next to nothing lol.

Old 11-30-2022, 07:55 PM
paulo810

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice! I don't have a picture of mine to post handy but it's controlled with a standard household dimmer switch.
Old 11-30-2022, 08:02 PM
Joel308cal

Originally Posted by paulo810 View Post
Nice! I don't have a picture of mine to post handy but it's controlled with a standard household dimmer switch.
yeah, the previous one had a 110 to 24v, 2A transformer with a household light dimmer. It worked great too, but unfortunately the transformers are freaking expensive now. This laptop charger cost me a whopping $1.50 at the salvage yard. I have several on hand in cause one dies. In total I have about $20 in it with the dimmer being the most expensive part($14.99). I did find the exact one on eBay for $5 so I ordered an extra one just in case.
Old 12-01-2022, 10:32 AM
Russmall

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some chargers have a foam cut feature built in with fully adjustable amps and voltage. I use this one for all of my foam wing cuts and it works so well and stays cool. If you have a good charger, it might be worth checking.

Old 12-01-2022, 11:50 AM
Joel308cal

Originally Posted by Russmall View Post
Some chargers have a foam cut feature built in with fully adjustable amps and voltage. I use this one for all of my foam wing cuts and it works so well and stays cool. If you have a good charger, it might be worth checking.
i tried every charger I own including some old skool Nicd/Nimh chargers to no avail. None had a foam cut feature so I decided to build this power supply.