Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Bill of MAterials (BOM) RCM Advanced Trainer

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Bill of MAterials (BOM) RCM Advanced Trainer

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 01:32 PM
razopp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bill of MAterials (BOM) RCM Advanced Trainer

Hello,

I am new to scratch building, but I have built several kits (Eagle 2, 4 Star 40, Tiger 2, Ugly Stick, GP Patriot etc...) I recently purchased the plans for the RCM advanced Trainer MK 2, and a FA-18 (40 size pusher). I really wanted to build the Hornet, but I decided to build the Advanced Trainer first to get accustomed to my new Scroll Saw and Disc Sanders. However, I am sitting here looking at the plans and do not know where to begin with preparing a bill of materials to build the kit. The hardware is pretty straight forward, but I am dumbfounded with the wood requirements. I bought Rich Uravitch's Scratch building book, and it was a little helpful. Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions for preparing a BOM for this particular plane and others. I apologize for the neophyte type question, but I do not want to order a ton of wood I do not need, or miss something that stops me from building for a couple of weeks to get more wood.

I will probably order my wood from Lone Star Balsa or Balsa USA. I will try to order wood for both the planes, so I can save on shipping and have scrap when I begin the Hornet. Any suggestions on where and what kind of foam to get for the Hornets wings. It is the 40 size pusher that RCM has in their plans catalague, and I plan to break in the OS 46 FX on the RCM Trainer and then use it for the Hornet.

Thank you to all those who respond.
Old 10-20-2003, 02:58 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bill of MAterials (BOM) RCM Advanced Trainer

Pitty, getting a plan, and not having a list of required woods..

What I do, (as this also applies to my regular job) is to:
1) get a pad of paper (or excell spread sheet), and start the list. List teh basic structures first. wing, fuse, canopy, etc...

2) under each basic structure, and with the plans handy, write down the part name, the wood required, type, and teh qty. Then circle / hilight that part on the plan so you know you've listed it. add any design notes you'll need..

3) continue as required to get all teh peices

so, your list should look as such:

wing:

spar - 1/2x3/8x32" long, balsa, 4 req. (hard balsa)
ribs - 3/32x3" sheet, 4 per sheet, 36 req / 9 sheets req (one sheet hard, for center ribs)
LE - 3/4x1/2x34" long, 2 required (hard balsa)
etc..
etc...

you get teh idea.

add a few sheets and sticks ehre and tehtre, as you know you'll be short / flubb a few parts...

you'll then have to look at the list of avaliable wood sizes, and make some decisions, as some required sizes might not be avaliable (like a 1-3/16"x3/32"x18"long) and will need to plan to cut a few 'custom sizes'.

And no matetr what, the LHS will never have all teh required woods you require!! Murphy's law!