Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

!@#$%^&* TurboCAD

Old 12-15-2003, 03:34 PM
Joe Petro
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default !@#$%^&* TurboCAD

Help!
I'm trying to draw ribs for my CNC router, using TurboCAD.
Here is what I'm doing:
Import foil as DXF from Profili.
Use a line and object trim to remove LE.
Use lines and object trim to place spar notches.
When I get to the last trim line, half of the rib disappears!!!
If I try to use meet two lines, I can't select any part of the airfoil surface (although this may be a snap issue...)

Please, someone tell me how to make spar notches in TurboCAD!

I also need help on these two items:
How do I easily make breaks in an arc? I'm trying to "jump" the (CNC) tool, so it leaves a little material so that the part stays put.

How do I trace a drawing, to change the drawing order? CNC cuts "as drawn", so if I draw, edit, draw, etc., the cutter does the same.

Thanks in advance,

Joe Petro
Old 12-15-2003, 07:24 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: !@#$%^&* TurboCAD

Joe,
The problem (I think) in the first question is that you probably are zoomed out a little (or not zoomed in enough) and are selecting the wrong end. When I've had this problem, I just zoomed in A LOT. Then it was easy to select the stub you want and the trim to line. On the second question, select the line, poly line, spline or what have you and right click. Do EDIT NODE. You add a node any place you want on a line by holding down the keyboard control key and clicking where you want the new node. You may not need to do this if its already a spine line which it may be if you imported it from prolifi and its a curved line. When you select edit node you see all the node verticies with a rotational select point. If I were you I would experiment with a test line first. Draw a spline line and finish it using right click. (You will see finish line there). Then do edit node and move the rotational points on the nodes. Then it will be obvious what they do. I use these to fine tune a curve on fuse formers. Once the nodes are correct, you break a line by selecting it (make sure you are not in edit node mode)
and search along the top menu bar and look for the EXPLODE command. That disassociates all the nodes from each other on a selected object so you can select an individual segment for deletion.
Other ways to shorten or lengthen a line is to use snaps. I rely mostly on snaps because that garuntees corners meet. Thats another discussion. Dont want to give you data overload yet!!

CLEAR AS MUD???

Edwin
Old 12-15-2003, 08:19 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I think it's simpler than that. I use the same DXF files and ran into similar problems. I think it has to do with how the DXF file is drawn and what TC THINKS you selected. Instead of "object trim" try using "split entities" at all the intersection points (draw all your spar notches and other cutouts slightly "long" at first) of the notches and the airfoil. Then select and delete the now separate bits that are in the way. Finish up the over length notch lines by node editing the end points and "V" snap them to the airfoil curve segment ends.

Node editing the airfoil may or may not work. I've seen it go both ways. Profili creates DXF files with MILLIONS of damn node points and it's always been too much for my TurboCAD's until I got up to Ver7. Even then it's not certain to work. My new Ver 9 should be much better but there's just way to many segments to work with. In any event I try to not do too many changes to these airfoil objects because odd things happen as you're finding.

Finally, if none of this works out or I want to do similar stuff I trace over the airfoil using the Bezier tool and "N" snap about 30 or 40 nodes per side down against the DXF shape. Finish the tracing with a "V" snap at the trailing edge and then add one more point in line but off the shape as a grab handle or tail. Now select the whole thing to grab BOTH the shapes and then hold the shift down and tag the "tail" you made on the new tracing to deselect the tracing. You can now move or delete the original DXF object. Node edit to remove the "tail" node and you've got a true copy to work with that has a few thousand fewer nodes to deal with and a LOT less problems.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:47 AM
Joe Petro
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the Info!
I tried several things, and out of sheer frustration, used the shift key to select multiple cutting edges, and BINGO, a perfect spar slot!
This also worked to "skip" the outline for tabs.

Thanks again for the quick responses.

Joe Petro
Old 12-16-2003, 12:10 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm, I use an earlier version and when dealing with trimming, meet 2 lines, etc. problems it's usually because I haven't "exploded" the entity.

As far as the gaps for holding the parts onto a sheet w/CNC, I use the Perpendicular Double Line tool set at .150" spacing and place them at 4 to 6 places around the rib. (.150" works nice with my .055" cutter) I use the trim command to remove the unwanted portion between the lines and then delete all the double lines. One quirk though is that when trimming the unwanted portion, it sometimes deletes only half of it and leaves a tiny little dot in the center. Make sure and delete those as well or your .dxf/G-Code utility will dutifully try to cut that entity as well, slowing the process down even more.

Even more confused now? [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

ps: Doesn't Profili allow you to add spars before exporting the .dxf? I'm a firm believer in CompuFoil (happy user since '98) because it allows almost unlimited options when designing your wing & ribs. It minimizes the time spent with CAD/CNC issues.