Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Rocket powered Bell X-1

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 09:40 PM
aldentwc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rocket powered Bell X-1

For those of you still hear i have a few questions sugestions
1. anyine ever drum up good x-1 plans
2. what about using a booster stage especcialy for the non dropped rockets. I think this would also give you a slow and gradual speed up with the big show in a second. and it drops of for weight and balance purposes
3. how are you setting off the ignitor this is something i have always wanted to know

and the first one was noe heavy i think becasue you can see it sart to pull out and then it wings over and noses in anyway let me know what you think or link me to a current forum
Old 01-26-2009, 09:17 PM
burkefj

Here's a simpler profile version, but slightly larger that I launch vertically, or can stick an electric pusher in the 24mm mount, I'll also put a link to the X-15 and bomarc that are similarly constructed and powered.

Frank

X-1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIKCK...e=channel_page

Bomarc:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epsCz1gt4Gs

X-15

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koO4X...e=channel_page

plans are on rcgroups in the pusher parkjet thread if anyone is interested, or can pm me, if you have any questions.

Frank
Old 12-04-2009, 11:34 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

dredging up an OLD thread, anyone have plans for an X1?
Old 12-04-2009, 10:29 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Call Mac Hodges and see if he has any for his.
I know he based the whole thing around a used monokote tube.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:21 PM
MrGoodwreck

My 9 year old is really into rockets, and wants me to build this for him...

Im going to make him take a crack at it with my help.

Would be nice if anyone else has anything to add before I start.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:15 AM
Johng
My Feedback: (4)

Suggestions:

1) Email Dannost to see if he will share plans. Go to his profile and click the email option. Since he hasn't logged on since last year the direct email may have the best chance of getting his attention.

2) If you want to do rocket style ground launch, consider building it half the scale that dannost did. That would be 18 inches span and would be something that could launch with the more available Estes sizes of rocket motor. You could then sand the wings and tail symmetrical from balsa plank like rocket fins. With all the new super-micro radio equipment available, this should be easily doable.

3)If you build wings and tail with symmetrical airfoils, all you need to do for good rocket flight is get the surfaces at exactly zero incidence and get the CG where to a place where it will fly stable. Then use an offset or trim function to set the elevator to glide flight at apogee. I use the slider switch under my index finger (Futaba 9C) for similar functions. If you link it to your elevator, you can use it like a super-trim switch to adjust the glide trim easily. I do this on all my first flights so I can change pitch trim faster and with more effect than the std trim switches.

4) Do some glide tests to figure out roughly where the trim should be. A hill above long grass would be perfect, but take what you can get.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:23 AM
nh4clo4
My Feedback: (33)

I am building one that has a .20 nitro and an estes rocket, The rocket would be fired during a high speed pass,

The above suggestions from johng are spot on,

I make a small 6" span profile chuck glider made from 1/32" balsa to see the glide and cg.

You can see my progress on the thread below
ED

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10203894/anchors_10203894/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#10203894
Old 09-02-2012, 06:26 PM
softshell29

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's mine.

The prototype and the full size

Prototype ( less than 8 feet span) flys great, unless you go to full throtle (eg 220 mph) Then it disintegrates due to flutter

Working to avoid this conclusion on the big one, which is designed to fly faster.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71145.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	1797754  
Old 09-14-2012, 06:19 PM
softshell29

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Bell X-1

Here's
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18628.jpg