Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Has anyone used the new polyurethane glue's?

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Has anyone used the new polyurethane glue's?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 09:14 PM
phread59

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone used the new polyurethane glue's?

Hey guys I gotta Question. Have anyone used the new polyuretane glues? I got some Gorilla Glue and am using it in general construction. I am building the RCM Advanced Trainer MKII from plans. I have questions:

Do you use it for general construction.

How strong is it compared to CA or aliphatic.

What do you use it for.

Have you any experiences you could share.

So far my experience has been good. It does bubble out of the edges of the joint. But I have noticed it is exceptionally easy to sand. I have used it to join sheets for the fuse sides and the stabilizer. Made sanding the joints a joy. This is new to me and as a new venture I am concerned about the strength of this glue. Oh well we will see this summer I guess. Any info you guys have would be appreciated.

Mark Shuman
Old 01-16-2004, 11:03 PM
Crayon

Default RE: Has anyone used the new polyurethane glue's?

I don't use it for general construction. I like alphatic resin glues, like titebond, for construction. Gorrila glue is good for sheeting foam wings.

As far as strength, it's close to being as strong as CA, but not as brittle. I think it might be lighter in weight than CA, not sure.

Personally, I don't like it much. The bottle drys out too fast, it's too expensive, too messy, and too toxic.

Please...

Don't get it on your skin. It's easily absorbed into your bloodstream and quite nasty. Wear vinyl gloves when using it.
Old 01-17-2004, 12:47 AM
CCRC1
My Feedback: (13)

I do use it for construction when I am joining plywood or hardwood parts. It produces a very strong bond. The only down side is that all parts have to be pinned or clamped as the glue foams while it cures and this action moves the parts. As Crayon said this glue is very good for sheeting foam wings. The foaming glue works its way into the crevices of the foam wing and once it is cured it ain't ever coming off.
Old 01-17-2004, 04:27 AM
Newflee

I have used them but wish I had not at the time. They take too long to cure, foamy mess has to be attended to as it cures and many precious building hours are lost. IMO I would prefer to use an epoxy or white glue anywhere that I don't use CA.
Perhaps the only time that I would recommend them is when your joints are sloppy or less than well fitting. In that case I would personally just make the part again and do the job properly.

Lee
Old 01-17-2004, 05:19 AM
pete913

I've used quite a bit of it (Elmers Pro Bond) in general woodworking ( woodturning is another hobby of mine), and I really like the stuff. I'm not sure if there is any strength difference compared to aliphatics, although I doubt if it'd be of any consequence in model construction anyhow. The one thing I do like about it for turning, is that it's considerably easier on my chisel edges than aliphatics. Just my opinion, but from my observation, it's not a gap filling glue at all, and what squeezes out of a tightly clamped joint appears to be about the same thing as expanding foam in the spray cans. I'm sure it'd be better than a gappy joint filled with CA though, or CA and accelerator, which degrades CA's strengh a bunch, as does the old baking soda trick. When you see that puff of smoke, the strength is gone. Fuelproof I'm not sure of, but CA isn't the least bit fuelproof either. Most commercial De bonders for CA contain nitromethane.