Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Are there sane ways to accurately cut out parts for a scratch building project?

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Are there sane ways to accurately cut out parts for a scratch building project?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2004, 10:50 PM
clolson
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are there sane ways to accurately cut out parts for a scratch building project?

Let me just start off by saying I always expected to finish a marathon or visit mars before I ever scratch built an airplane. But, this weekend I just inherited 3 tubes packed with some awsome rolled plans. I haven't had a chance to look through them all but the appear to be mostly large scale 80-110" wingspan, a couple twins, and the guy apparently was interested in seaplanes. The one set of plans that really jumped out at me was a twin engine gruman albatros with over 100" wingspan.

I've built a couple kits in my life, and recently have assembled some ARF's, but the thought of tracing out all those parts and cutting them with an xacto knife seems a little overwhelming. I can only imagine the number of screwups I'd make, cutting off too much, not enough, wavey, non-strait edges, and maybe the end of a finger or two might turn up missing. Are there easier ways to go about this? Are there places that could somehow cut out the parts for me if I wanted to spend a few bucks? I'm not planning to enter any contests with the final project, and I don't want to have to spend years on it, but I'd like to end up with something that's not a complete embarassment to the hobby, and something that would honor the original collector of these plans since he's no longer around to build the models himself.

If there are good web sites with information on getting started with scratchbuiilding, and with information on (easy?) ways to take a stack of balsa and a big sheet of plans and somehow turn that into a kit without driving myself insane, please point me to them. No need to repeat the information again if it's already out there and I'm just missing it.

Thanks!

Curt.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:26 AM
Runway

Default RE: Are there sane ways to accurately cut out parts for a scratch building project?

Have a look at
http://www.airfieldmodels.com/index.htm
Lots of good stuff for the scratch builder.
Old 08-09-2004, 02:46 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Are there sane ways to accurately cut out parts for a scratch building project?

There's lots of info in past posts about transferring the plans to the wood. A search will show them up. But in the end there's no magic. You start with the first piece and finish with the last and play some good music to help pass the time between. Sport models are easy but a scale model, especially a big flying boat like this, with lots of pieces is going to take lots of time.

Cutting out related parts for sub-assemblies and putting them together can often make the time spent cutting seem less endless.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:51 PM
jester1a
My Feedback: (1)

Depanding on who drew up the plans, some plans have been picked up by "kitcutters"- who will sell you a kit to build from those plans. Get some specifics and search on RCU for them- you might just find that someone has kitted the plane you want.

JESTER
Old 08-09-2004, 05:01 PM
rcmiket

One thing about cutting your own kit. 1- There is no easy way. 2- There is no sane way. 3-Take whatever you think its going to cost and mulitply by 3. Those are the cold hard facts. Now go out there and get it done, theres no feeling like cutting , building, finishing, then flying your creation.-Mike
Old 08-09-2004, 05:03 PM
rcmiket

Oh yea, I forgot to mention you get to play with power tools.-Mike
Old 08-09-2004, 09:34 PM
dicknadine

what models are the plans? might be interested in a set or 2. plan building is simple after 33 years experience. takes a heck of a lot of Sharp razor blades. yell if I can help you. believe me - there is NO quick/ simple way. laser can't correct plan errors. dick
Old 08-09-2004, 09:40 PM
dicknadine

boy did I shortchange my experience, shud have 67 years-- way back when a flying model kit was a whole 10 cents. spent many hours watching the old guys at Delair ? Models, in Detroit, put their kits together. once finished we had fun with a firecracker and short fuse off the roof of the back porch. dick
Old 08-09-2004, 10:38 PM
clolson
My Feedback: (7)

It looks like I have a Grumman Albatros by Fred Kouka with a 96" wing span. I found a place out in Michigan that looks like they may cut up a kit for this one, only $370, but probably a lot cheaper doing it that way than paying myself $2/hr to do i t.

I also have 2 sizes of Catalina. A 72" span and something that looks a little larger? These plans have been rolled up for a couple years and roll themselves back up faster than I can unroll them, so I didn't look too closely at the cats. :-)

I also have what looks like a really nice and really detailed set of plans for a 1/4 scale Nieuport 28 C-1, drawn by Lou Proctor, 1979 ... 4 sheets. They are a little crushed at the one end, but that's all in the margin/blank space where it doesn't matter.

Personally, the Albatros is the one that interests me the most. The neuport is and probably always will be way out of my league. Well for that matter the Abatros probably is too, but if I can get a pre-cut kit for the plans, I'd have a fighting chance. I have a couple other projects I'd need to finish up first before tackling this. If it wasn't for that pesky day job, I might be able to get a few things done once in a while. :-)

Wasn't really thinking of selling any of these, but if someone thought they could put the neuport or catalina plans to good use, let me know. I'd rather see them being put to good use, rather than sitting rolled up in my closet.

Curt.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:06 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What are the plans for? My wife is up there this weekend and flying back Tues afternoon. I usually make a copy of the plan, cut it out, spray 77 it to the wood, and cut and sand to the line and glue the mess together. So far I have had great sucess.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:19 AM
dicknadine

should have said this in my previous post-- HAVE you contacted any of the local flyers/builders for help?? a lot of them have been thru the same thing and most are willing to help. slow down and do not try to do it all at once --- take your time. dick
Old 08-10-2004, 09:31 AM
dicknadine

how much for the Catilina plans ?? shipped to Mississippi. dick
Old 08-13-2004, 02:25 AM
CafeenMan

Here's the deal with scratch-building from my viewpoint:

* It's not cheaper
* It's not faster (well it is if you care about quality, but otherwise no)
* It is fun
* It is very satisfying
* It is not difficult
* YOU are in charge of quality control (you are anyway, but if you really care about quality, then you end up tossing out a lot of kit parts and scratch-building them anyway)

That last point is where the speed comes in. I care about what I end up with to the point that I replace a lot of poorly selected or poorly manufactured parts in kits. So scratch building isn't slower for me than it would be to build from most kits.

The way to make templates is to make a copy of the plan and use spray glue to attach the templates to the wood. Only spray the template and let it dry for a minute so it can be peeled back off. For things like ribs, I attach the paper template to a piece of plywood and make a permanent template. Most other parts the template is destroyed making the part.

Alway cut over-size and sand to finish size. Don't ever try to cut to exact shape unless it's square and you're using a table saw with a fine blade.

- Paul

PS. Thanks for plugging my site, Runway.
Old 09-05-2004, 11:00 PM
dicknadine

any further thoughts of shipping the Catilina plans to me- down south. both sizes. i will trace them-- by hand. have not found a big enough copier in this area. south Mississippi dick
Old 09-06-2004, 11:18 AM
phread59

Check Caffeenman's web site. There is info there that can help you. He is pretty sharp on scratching. The only advice I will give is to do yourself a favor. Buy a scroll saw and base. It will make the whole process easier. A decent pin type saw and base can be had for around 100$. It will make cutting parts easier by miles. It will also make cutting plywood and hardwood easier. I would also suggest before starting on such a big project. Try a few smaller ones. Buy a set or two of plans from RCM or the AMA mag or even MAN. Do them to get used to it. Then go ahead and tackle your dream. When you finally see your project in the air. And everyone wants to know where you get the ARF. And you tell them you did it yourself from plans. The look on thier faces is priceless. You can't beat the feeeling. Good luck with your project.

Mark Shuman
Old 09-09-2004, 04:26 PM
Love1/4Scale
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another option that I dont think was mentioned....Check the kit cutter you mentioned and others to see if anyone would cut you a short kit. That way you could still hand select all of your sticks and sheets. Im currently building a Vailly Hurricane for a customer from a short kit cut by Laser Lizard. Balsa was purchased from Superior Balsa and Spruce was purchased from Sig (Superior lost their spruce supplier for the time being but they will be able to supply spruce also in the future).