Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Getting Started

Old 12-06-2001, 06:52 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting Started

I've been toying with the idea of scratch building something. Anyone have any advise on a good starter plan?

I have the plans from my Sig 4* 60 that I flew into a tree, would that be a good thing to start with since I am familiar with the model?

Price wise, does scratch building work our to be more or less expensive than a kit?

Kent
Old 12-06-2001, 07:50 PM
My Feedback: (45)

Default Getting Started

Scratch building is pretty fun.... Really not allot harder than building from a kit... The only real chanllenge is getting the rib profile right.... As long as you have the rib profile, it should be a piece of cake.... I believe the 4* has a constant cord wing... so you should be able to cut out blanks, tack glue them together and cut out on a band saw.... If you don't have a band saw, just cut them out with a knife, pin them together and sand them as a unit to keep them true and uniform... other than that, build straight, build light.... loads of fun!!!

Remember... always build to fly well, not crash well.... no matter how much epoxy you use, it will still get ugly when it noses in.... ask me how I know....
Old 12-06-2001, 09:04 PM

Default Getting Started

Paul,

Thanks for the info. Yep, the 4* has a constant cord wing. So that makes it easier to cut the ribs right?

I have a scroll saw but not a band saw so I guess I'll have to go with the sanding method, or....get myself an early Christmas present

I agree build to fly not to crash; no amount of glue will hold it together if you auger in.

Kent
Old 12-06-2001, 09:55 PM

Default Getting Started

I've not tried it yet, but I'm sure a scroll saw will work too.... just have to finish sand it when you're through.
Old 12-06-2001, 10:27 PM

Default Getting Started

I guess I was thinking about thickness. I can envision a band saw cutting a whole stack. I guess I could rough cut them all on the scroll saw one-by-one then stack them all together for final shaping.

Kent
Old 12-06-2001, 10:29 PM

Default Getting Started

Why couldn't you stack cut them on the scroll saw? No big deal if you cut them out of 1/16" stock....
Old 12-06-2001, 10:50 PM

Default Getting Started

I guess you're right, I could get a fair number of them to fit under the guide. I'm just so used to cutting only a single piece at a time it didn't even cross mind to raise the guide for more thickness. I really need to learn to "think outside the box."

Kent
Old 12-07-2001, 10:55 PM
My Feedback: (7)

Default Getting Started

Another method is to make two templates and then sandwitch the rib blanks between them. Then use a large sanding block to sand the blanks to the templates. Be sure to cut the spar slots in the templates and after you sand the ribs to shape use a hack saw to cut the spar slots between the templates. Just cut down the two lines that form the outside borders. When your ready to build use an exacto knife to finish cutting out the spar slots.
Old 12-09-2001, 01:05 AM
My Feedback: (7)

Default Getting Started

I forgot to add yesterday another trick I like to use. Take your plans down to Kinko's and get two copies. Put the orginal back into a tube and save it. Use one of the copies to cut out the bulkheads and the rib cross sections. Use these as templates instead of trying to copy from the plans. Just use some lite tack contact cement to place them on the wood. ( found out material stores and some craft stores )