Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

machining parts

Old 10-17-2004, 09:25 AM
studysession

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default machining parts

I have been trying to machine my own parts. I am starting to get the hand of it. I do have my own CNC mill and have not used the CNC Part. I will be trying to get to that part in the next month or so. Right now I am using the mill and doing everything by hand to have a full understanding of the mill first. A picture of my mill is attached to this post.

I need some pointers for different materials. Locally I can only get soft aluminum and some steel. I prefer ali - I want tog et better/harder stuff -

Any websites or links someone can point me in the right direction.

I can creat a small cad drawing and have the mill draw it. But to cut it out, right now it just breaks the bits I am using. I need it to cut the same line in layers instead of all one cut. I need a beginners guide or something.

THanks for the help!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61697.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	183554  
Old 10-17-2004, 09:48 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Default RE: machining parts

Hi s/s,

Your .dxf to G-code conversion program should have an option to set the maximum amount of Z-axis depth of cut per pass. The program then writes a duplicate toolpath over and over, cutting your specified depth of cut each pass until it reaches th e end. The depth of cut per pass will depend on what your feed rate is, the toolsize, spindle rpm and the material you're cutting.

Here's a couple of good forums on machining stuff: http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/ubbs/Ultimate.cgi

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/cg...ultimatebb.cgi
Old 10-17-2004, 09:53 AM
studysession

Cool - thanks for the links.

I definately need more practice!!!!
Old 10-17-2004, 10:47 AM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi

I have the slightly larger mini mill that you have. Setting it up for CNC work might be a great idea, once i learn the computer side of the deal.

Steve
Old 10-17-2004, 11:59 AM
studysession

CNC'ing is not as easy as I thought it would be.

I am now looking at small hobby lathes but not CNC. Something I can CNC later is I want. Also something that will allow me to upgrade the size of the bed on the lathe. I find the bed on my mill is to small for some applications.

kh
Old 10-18-2004, 12:43 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

It's not that CNC'ing is hard but rather that you need to understand the basics of metal working before you can program the CNC properly. You need to understand about metals, cutter speeds, feed rates, cut depths and many other things if your CNC software doesn't take all that into account.

Basically you need to become a home shop machinist before you can make that CNC part sing and dance for you. That's a whole topic on it's own and I suggest you check the net and your local library for such books as Sparey's "the Small Lathe" and others.

In the meantime a buddy of mine started a metal working discussion board that you'd be welcome to attend at [link=http://foundry.psibersport.com/forum/index.php?sid=c78b8a085615c65ed159ff98b89712d7]METAL TALK[/link]
Old 10-18-2004, 08:13 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

I just recently bought a 9x20 lathe and verticle mill. Now I'm in the process of buying accesories for both and practicing with little projects. I bought vol 1 and 2 of Machine Shop Practice from Enco. Wed site is www.use-enco.com . Carefull going to that web site, its like a kid in a toy store.
Edwin
Old 10-18-2004, 09:18 AM
studysession

Thanks for the info.

I am now looking at getting a lathe. I need to make some custom axles and diff's for my RC Cars. I am trying to figure out all the options and what I need to look for. There is just so many choices and knowing what to look for and everything sometimes gets over welming.
Old 10-18-2004, 12:19 PM
studysession

Edwin - you said you have a Lathe???? How big is the hole through the spindle? Seems like most hobby lathes is only 20mm. And do you think it is big enough? What do you make on your lathe?

Sorry for all the questions - but trying to compare.

This is the lathe I am going to go look at tomorrow:
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product...0&r=2043&g=106
Old 10-18-2004, 12:29 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

The hole is not that big. Less than an 1" dia. I will eventually make struts and other parts for retracts. This is the link to the one I bought.
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...&PARTPG=INLMK3

Its just an ok lathe. Definately not high quality. Instructions are very poor and wrong in some cases. I also had to readjust some parts to make it work. Their diagrams for the ac wires and what they actually have are two completly different things. Doesnt come with a plug on the power cord, you gotta supply that.
But once I got it setup, I'm happy enough with it. Only had it for a month or so.
Edwin
Old 10-18-2004, 12:33 PM
studysession

Very cool! I like the prices in the US better. I wish I could get one there and have it shipped here. But to ship it here to the UK sometimes would cost more than it is worth.

Thanks!
Old 10-19-2004, 04:30 PM
studysession

I am placing my order for a lathe tomorrow. I went down to machine mart today to look at some and the guys did not really know much about them. But it did give me an idea what size I needed since they had three different ones on display. It really helped me out.

It gets so confusing sometimes know what I want and when I want type of thing. Ontop of that everything cost to much. I wish lathes could be a but cheaper. Will let everyone know when it arrives here at my house.