Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

A-10 Project

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 11:27 AM
FLYPUCK
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: A-10 Project

Dowels cut and drilled.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92137.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	821908   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84282.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	821909  
Old 12-09-2007, 09:52 PM
FLYPUCK

Got all the dowels installed. I opted to use Polyurethane glue for this. You need to wet the parts with water first then I applied the glue in the holes with a Q-tip and inserted the dowels. You need to keep and eye on this stuff for about 15 mins. as it will foam up and expand out of the hole. The excess is easily removed with a paper towel until it starts to set.

Name:	Ay73566.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	822485   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32373.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	822486  
Old 12-16-2007, 09:42 PM
rockford28

sssshhhh she doesnt know i snapped the picture...haha..
Old 12-21-2007, 09:34 AM
Lafayette

Hey FlyPuck, nice jet you're buliding- I have made an F-16C 2 years ago (it crashed after it's 45th- I believe- flight). What happened was I mistreated it- I have no idea how- and there was a crack starting just before the ducted fan engine. It made it's way up the fuse until it broke and the engine sucked it up- the engine broke and smoked the way down to the ground where the plane crashed into pieces. Again nice plane, but I have no idea how you are going to have some big boyse powering the A-10 when the fuse is nothing but balsa reinforced with carbon fiber and the wings are balsa+styrofoam??? I remember when I was little the instructor in my club made free-flight gliders with balsa+carbon fiber- but we are talking about some real stuff here. I wish the fuse and the engine cowls don't shatter when you fire up that bird!!! . I am currently settled down on big guy planes (and especially jets, oh god I really had enough of those guys) and I am making my own plans for a 48.3 cm A5M4. Here are some pictures and I will be looking on this thread a lot. Please make sure that the last post on here will include the picture of the A-10 flying. Good job!!!

Name:	Tq48882.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	830635  
Old 12-21-2007, 10:11 AM
Gry101

RTF787,

I can tell you that there is a little resonance in the fuse when both engines are running. If you have them really close in RPM, the resonance almost goes away. However, it is just in the 1/4 inch plywood reinforced area. The rest of the fuse barely feels anything. I do not think that the 1/4 ply will have a fatigue failure for a long time. That ply is amazing stuff.

Andrew
Old 12-29-2007, 01:09 PM
rockford28

Quick update. fuel tanks are in. I went with two 16 ounce tanks one for each engine with a single fill line. Rudders are in painted and installed with all cables run up to servo mounts. onto the engine fillets to the fuse and then the start of the main wing.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:53 PM
Gry101

Well Guys, wish me luck. Tomorrow I go out and tune up the motors for the final time. Ground check everything and control movements and range check. If everything checks out, the big day will probably be 1/1/08. I figure to start the new year out with either a big bang [] or a great first flight [8D]!

Andrew
Old 01-01-2008, 01:11 PM
rockford28

Andrew we need video!!!...haha...good luck..let us know how it went. we're all excited to see this thing come off the ground. this is my update. ordered the servos for elevator and rudder control. first electronics to go into this god forsaken thing. i mean wonder creation.hhaha...that will complete the rear section as the fiberglassing is almost complete and sanded. working on the second nacelles for the other side. i have included a couple pictures of that. and yes doug i even hand made these. i am truely a glutten for punishment at this point. the table is now cleared for the main wing assembly.

Rick

Name:	Da83185.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	839399   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81658.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	839400  
Old 03-12-2008, 12:47 PM
rockford28

just a quick check gentlemen...hows everyone doing?...anyone gotten off the ground yet?...
Old 07-20-2008, 07:27 PM
Gry101

Rock,

Going well here, finally. I have been putting off flying this bird for a long time because the past year and a half has not been a good one for my R/C hobby. I have been having problems with all of my airplanes. It all started after I tried to trim my fingernails with the ducted fan on my A-10. I just took the very tip of my middle finger. Gotta always pay attention what you are doing.

I have crashed my edge, total loss. I moved to a new house and broke a plane during that move. Crashed my ultimate and repaired it. It finally fell apart after 6 years of flying (around 200 hours worth). I had problems getting my DP ultimate flying. I finally had three good flights with no problems this Saturday.

Today I ran one engine on my A-10 and got it tuned in. I was not able to run the other one because my starter battery died. That has been a constant problem for me the last year or so, even with new batteries. Must be the power panel draining them. Anyway, I got 22k rpm on YS20/20 with 8 oz of Klotz added to bring the oil content up to 25% per Bax at OS. Tomorrow I should get the other one running. Then I will run them together. We have a club warbird fly-in on 7/26. I hope to get it up in the air that day for its maiden flight. If I can borrow a camera, I will get some video.

I hope tat you have ad a better year than that!

Andrew
Old 08-11-2008, 07:42 AM
rockford28

Gry101

sorry to hear bout the crashes....i stopped working on mine all together so i could atleast get up in the air this year....so far i have taken out a a foamy a-10 from gws and a scratch built from fly rc magazine pull out....haha...my son laughed till he turned blue i think on both...he's only 5 so crashing is funny..i on the other hand only lightly cried...haha...working on a kit now that my fiance's boss gave me. 1987 Butterfly. something quick and easy to build till this winter when i return to the a-10....i see paul has almost made into the air with his. the pics from his personal website look promising....

well i am off to do some work then back to the basement tonight to get the butterfly up and running....keep up the good work and let me know how she sounds when you get it up and running

Rockford28