Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Wood.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2001, 07:11 PM
Chopper01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wood.

Gday,

I'd like to get into scratch building and have chosen the Wasp as my first project. I was about to order the wood required (my "L"HS is 90 minutes away) when it dawned on me that I don't know the first thing about this stuff. So I'd just like to get some input on buying balsa. Which is your favourite dealer? Is one kind better than the other? etc.

Thanks a bunch, Chopper
Old 12-20-2001, 12:32 AM
L454S
My Feedback: (3)

Default Wood

I have been using Lone Star Balsa for years and have been satisfied with their product. Phone is 1-800-687-5555. Am not sure about shipping charges to Canada.
Old 12-20-2001, 01:01 AM
Tex Pilot

Default Wood

Balsa USA is not bad at all. You can order on line at their web site. It is their name with a www. in front and a com at the end. Hope this helps. Tex
Old 12-20-2001, 06:19 AM
Friar_Tuck
My Feedback: (12)

Default Balsa USA

I have had nothing but great luck with Balsa USA! I have heard many great things about Lone Star too, but after a very poor batch of wood from someone else who shall remain nameless, I have stuck to Balsa USA.
Old 12-20-2001, 05:22 PM
rcav8or
My Feedback: (5)

Default Hmmm.....

Originally posted by Friar_Tuck
I have had nothing but great luck with Balsa USA! I have heard many great things about Lone Star too, but after a very poor batch of wood from someone else who shall remain nameless, I have stuck to Balsa USA.
Might have been a bad day...I have used both Balsa USA and Lone Star, and have ahd excellent service and quality from both.

I usually double or triple my order, for what I am building, so I am slowly building up an inventory, and usually go with whichever is cheaper, when I figure it all up.
Old 12-20-2001, 10:18 PM
Friar_Tuck
My Feedback: (12)

Default I should clarify!

My first post may have misled some. Let me clear it up, so no one thinks my bad experience was with Lone Star! I have always had great luck with Balsa USA. I have heard great things about Lone Star, but have never ordered from them myself. I was going to try them, and one other company that I will not name online. I tried that unamed company first, and got such horrid stuff, that I was scared to try anyone else. If I were ever to go somewhere other than Balsa USA, I would definately give Lone Star a shot!
Old 12-20-2001, 10:18 PM
Chopper01

Default ^_^

Alrighty, thanks for all the input. I was leaning towards Balsa USA and now I'll definetly go with them.

Chopper
Old 12-20-2001, 11:34 PM
Kickin Chicken

Default wood

Hi Chopper01,
I just saw your post, I wish I had done the same about 6 months ago, I'm new to some what stick building (War Birds glass kit) I needed some wood myself, read all the posts I could find for the same info you are after, I finally ordered from one of the big companies appox. $200.00 worth, I feel like I got about half my money worth, ex. sheeting wood varied real bad in lenght,thickness and quality to the point half of it I didn't even use for this project, all plywood and other stock was O.K., I got one of our Master Builder in our club to look at it and he told me to send it back, well what a pain in the ----, I just chalked it up as a learning and maybe it was a "Monday Morning" order fill, so I'm not going to bad mouth this company.
After all this said, my real learning was, we have a hobbie shop 2 hours round trip from here, support/buy from your local hobbie shop, as you can pick what wood you need and you don't have to be a expert either, leave the less quality stuff for the fireplace.
Old 01-01-2002, 03:38 AM
Walt-RCU

Default Wood.

Just a comment:
I use Lone Star and never had a problem.
However I don't order sticks.
I simply buy quality sheets and strip sticks
up to 1/8" and band saw from there up.
Never a problem.
Walt
Old 01-16-2002, 11:54 PM
TOYMAKER
My Feedback: (6)

Default Lone Star Balsa

I gotta give a thumbs up for Lone Star Balsa. He gets his balsa direct from South America in bulk and has a damn nice mill room.
I have bought Sig, Balsa USA and Bud Nolsen and sometimes you get a quite a variance in density and grades. LSB has most of his stock hand picked and most of the wood you will get will be from the same batch of wood block. Never hurts to get an extra sheet or two just incase. Its all color coded on the end edges for easy identifacation.
Old 01-17-2002, 01:44 AM
Tex Pilot

Default Wood.

Just got my order from Balsa USA........ another absolutely fantastic deal....... the wood all looks triple A........ no bad pieces..... the ply is beautiful...... I just wish you could get wood this good in a kit...... it may make a person stay with building kits. I believe I will scratch build from now on...... cheaper and better. The only way to get wood this good in a kit....... is to order one from Balsa USA......... they make some fantastic kits too! I am not affiliated with them in any way. God bless, Tex
Old 01-17-2002, 02:54 AM
Chopper01

Default Wood.

Thanks again for all the input guys, I recieved my order of wood from Lonestar today (BalsaUSA didn't have all the right stuff) and it's great! No cracked or broken pieces etc.

Time to get to work on those projects : )

Thanks, Chopper
Old 01-17-2002, 04:12 AM
flyingcubby
My Feedback: (35)

Default Wood

I have also excellent results with Superior Balsa..
Old 01-18-2002, 03:57 PM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

Default Wood.

Hey Chopper.... How's that Wasp coming??? I've built two of them and I've got ribs for two more....

My Wasp:
Old 01-19-2002, 06:00 AM
zero244
My Feedback: (1)

Default Scratch Building

Is more work........but you can take pride in the fact you made it from raw materials. I mainly design and scratch build most of my projects. Ive ordered several hundred dollars from Superior Balsa and recieved very good quality wood. Sometimes there balsa runs in the medium range but still light enough. Good company and prompt shipping.