Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Scratch newbie

Old 12-29-2001, 05:24 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scratch newbie

What is the best thing to use for cutting out the various pieces when scratch building?

IronZ
Old 12-29-2001, 07:28 AM
My Feedback: (5)

Default Scratch newbie

You might be a little more explicit - do you mean tool-wise?

It depends on how many of any item you plan to make - I always cut out two kits, because it's just about as easy to do that, as one. At the very least, I cut out two sets of wing ribs, and tail ribs, if it's an airfoil.

I also always buy two sets of plans, one to hang up in front of me, for guidance, and one for a working copy - cut out templates, etc. Some people trace the patterns, etc, but my time is more valuable than the cost of the plans, usually. If I buy from someone else, and can't get a 2nd set, I will trace them. Don't lower yourself to buy one set, and copy them, unless it's an old set of unavailable plans - the folks who design and sell the plans should get the money for their work!!

I often build kits for other people, and the way I work that, is they buy enough wood for two kits, and two sets of plans. I use 'my" set of plans for the templates, etc, and they get a complete set of new plans. I cut the wood from my set. It usually costs no more than a regular kit, and it's great if there is no kit for the plane, just plans for sale, so it only costs them just enough for my kit as well, and they are always very happy. This is great for people who like building, but don't necessarily have the time to cut out everything, plus the tools...

The tools I use, are:

Table saw, to cut BIG pieces of balsa into small pieces
band saw (12 inch)
scroll saw
Dremel tool set up as a router (you have to make templates)
bench mounted belt sander
bench mounted circular sander
Xacto knife, with LOT'S of blades ( buy them by the 100's, they're cheaper!)
ALL kinds of hand sanding block, from 1/8 inch to 4 inches (the 1/8 and 1/4 are for spars, etc)
Zona saw, with bunches of interchangeable blades, with depth stops on them
One of them-thar fancy cutters than take 3" wide pieces, and make them into 1/8, 1/4 wide, etc (you can make your own, if you decide you want to keep doing this - that's what I ended up doing, set up for all the various sizes)

If I really know I am going to be building a lot of the same model (Quickies, combat, etc) then I will make the templates out of counter-top material, or masonite for the routed stuff...

If you plan just to build one, just to see if you are going to like it, you can do it with just an xacto knife, and a Zona saw! That's how I started.

Wow, more than you wanted to know, right???/
Old 12-29-2001, 09:38 AM

Default Scratch

For first timers, try cutting out the templates with a pair of scisors on the curves and an xacto with a straight edge on all straight sections. I arrange the templates on the desired wood and draw a line around the edge with a wide tip red felt marker. When the template is removed, just cut out the part leaving a little red around the edge. Now sand the last little bit of red away to a perfect shape. I keep the templates in a large manilla folder.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	410_714.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	1089  
Old 12-30-2001, 03:10 AM

Default Re: Scratch newbie

Originally posted by IronZ
What is the best thing to use for cutting out the various pieces when scratch building?

IronZ
Have someone like me laser cut them

Cost between $30 to $40, which includes overdraw into Vector format, cut, wood, and shipping!
Old 12-31-2001, 12:37 AM

Default Laser cutting would be great!!

I always thought that it would cost more than that to laser cut from plans. My first scratch build kit is going to be a pretty easy one to do. I would however be very interested in having you cut some future projects for me. It will be a while before it happens but if you could send me some info I would appreciate it. Send to [email protected] I also want to thank the other responses to my post. I appreciate your help!

Thanks,
IronZ
Old 01-06-2002, 10:48 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Default kit cutting

where can u get kits cut that cheap?
Old 01-06-2002, 10:59 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Default price...

Sheesh....for that price I might have a job or 10 for ya AirCAD