Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
 JACK BALE....I HAVE ALL THATS LEFT!!!!!!! >

JACK BALE....I HAVE ALL THATS LEFT!!!!!!!

Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

JACK BALE....I HAVE ALL THATS LEFT!!!!!!!

Old 04-30-2005, 07:20 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JACK BALE....I HAVE ALL THATS LEFT!!!!!!!

I have acquired all that remains of Jack Bales' vacuum form molds and over 120 of his plans and some of his originals. I also have all of his document packages on over 250 aircraft. ALL will be made available soon after I inventory what I have. If anybody is looking for something E-mail me at [email protected] and let me know what I should look for. Jack Bale should not be forgotten.

Regards
mtnmnstr
Old 04-30-2005, 08:24 PM

Default RE: JACK BALE....I HAVE ALL THATS LEFT!!!!!!!

What happened to Jack? I'm looking for vacuum formed parts for the Chance-Vought V-173 which was one of his plans.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:31 PM

Jack passed away a few years back.
Thats all I know. I may have them, I'll look.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:54 PM

I'm very interested in many of his plans. The B-36, XP-67, Horton HO VII V1, XP-55, and Bellanca trimotor to name a few. So when and how are you going to make them available?
Old 10-19-2005, 10:11 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Mtnmnstr,

Sent you an e-mail.

Am Interested in some of the plans you may have left.

Please contact me at your earliest convenience,

Thanks,

Dave
Old 10-19-2005, 11:51 PM
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I heard it, Jack Bale died destitute, in a leaky trailer home, and was not found for quite a while, and there was not enough money to bury him. Sad stuff.

How did you acquire the stuff, from his local club?

Get an inventory of the molds. It's all about the molds. Many, if not most, of his stuff is unbuildable without the vaccum formed parts, something the guys knocking off these plans forget to tell you.

What do you have?
Old 10-21-2005, 06:29 AM
My Feedback: (37)

I need a canopy and two vac formed inlets for my U-2 plan that I purchased from Jack a few years back. Please get in touch with me. Thanks
Old 02-04-2006, 07:24 PM

I'm interested in the E-2C scale plans and other parts.

Larry
Old 02-23-2006, 05:32 AM
Banned

Any plans you can send my way, I'll make a free download for the public to be able to acquire from my rc airplane site, giving him credit and done strictly to honor his memory. I never knew the guy, it's just a tragic story, perhaps his legacy could live on through this.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:58 AM
My Feedback: (37)

I have a set of Jacks U-2 plans that are setup for ducted fan, could be converted to small turbine. Will sell copies for $40 plus shipping.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:51 AM
Banned

I guess to reinterate here, it's not about commerce, it's about honor, my intentions are not to sell the plans, nor do I expect to purchase them, they should be given away to the public, that, or if sold, the proceeds should go to a charity.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:29 AM

Espresso, I think that is a great idea, Im with u . So will we be able to see sometime further on what plans you have? Greetings.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:42 AM
Banned

petronio

When I get to the point where I stop freehanding my work and actually formalize it in one static design that can be printed and followed, by all means, I'll be sharing. I think too many of us reinvent the wheel entirely out of the fact that we have limited access to this stuff and that is entirely because we have a limited fiscal base, so make it free and let others expand upon it, ie. continue the legacy.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:41 AM

mtnmnstr:

After all this time its good to see someone successfully acquired the inventory of parts,
plans, and molds. I tried early on and those who were rifling through Jack's place didn't
even have a catalog to use in indexing and verifying what was where, etc. It was sad to
say the least to try to have a conversation with the guys who had no idea what they had.
Jack's daughter was not interested in any of Jack's legacy of art and model components, etc.

I am most interested in selling what you end up pulling together when you are finished.
I sold Jack's designs for five years before he passed away. I can be reached at
[email protected] if you are interested.

Ed Clayman
Old 04-24-2007, 08:04 AM

ORIGINAL: mtnmnstr I have acquired all that remains of Jack Bales' vacuum form
molds and over 120 of his plans and some of his originals. I also have all of his document
packages on over 250 aircraft. ALL will be made available soon after I inventory what I have.
If anybody is looking for something E-mail me at [email protected] and let me know
what I should look for. Jack Bale should not be forgotten. Regards mtnmnstr
What happened here? Many people responded and so far there's been nothing left from the
stone thrown into the pond containing the remains of Jack's designs.

Obviously if someone thinks they can place Jack's designs into the public domaine without
re-design...there is clearly a great deal of confusion about Jack's designs. With the clam shell
design of Jack's creations there is a huge potential for success within the electric scale market
place.

Back when a couple of us were trying to negotiate with Jack's club members to purchase the
molds and plan masters we were never able to obtain either a bill of material~inventory and
physical proof Jack's daughter had signed over a POA power of attorney to release the assets
so they could be purchased. The club members simply wanted the money for the sale and
were not interested in obtaining a power of attorney from the daughter.

Anyone, either purchasing what remained of Jack Bale Plans, or simply ending up with what
remains as a matter of those with the items when the dust settled and left as a matter of
abandonment on the part of the heir, could find themselves snake bit down stream after
successfully fulfilling Jack's dream. The dream of selling a lot of his designs and the vacuum
formed "parts" required to successfully construct them.

I had known Jack for some time when his health began to turn for the worse. Jack was
quickly rendered incapable of the collation of copied planset, instuction set, catalog, and
vacuum formed plastics for what he was still selling. It was sad, or more accurately...painful
to carry on a conversation about the things Jack loved most in what was left with little time left.
His enthusiasm for electric powered flight was ahead of everyone else's imagination. Jack
should be thought of in terms of being a "leading edge" designer who's designs arrived too early
to fulfill his vision.

The silence which has befallen this thread is interesting. The thread began with such enthusiasm
and energy with what for all the world was an echo of Jack's final words... He was so committed
to his vision of scale modeling for the majority of the RC modeling community without special
skills and tools to achieve the looks of the 1:1.

I will close my post with a little known fact about Jack's designs. Back when Dong Pham, Houston
owner of VQ had gone through a period of less than rewarding months of people owing him for
.40 and .60 size ARFs he granted them credit for; he and I stood outside Kingsway Hobbies on
Westheimer discussing whether or not he would continue.

Dong stood there with a horrible look of dispair. Painfully obvious on someone who could brighten
your spirit with sight of his normal ear to ear grins. I said why don't you offer what no one else
offers...twin ARFs. I gave Dong a Jack Bale P-38 plan and suggested he seriously consider
manufacturing larger ARF's. Dong was already vacuum forming parts for his VQ products. Where
hangar or transport rash was likely...fiber glass parts were substituted for what in Jack's original
were vacuum formed. Dong jumped into 80+ inch designs and the rest is history.

I hope Jack's designs can remain in the hands of someone committed to marketing them with
Jack's original vision. With laser cutting capabilities and vacuum forming...electric scale modeling
will be made available to many "new" modelers, and not left to require skill sets only years of trial
and error can provide.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:46 PM

Why has this thread suddenly died? Seemed it would be in everyone's interest to
support the survival of Jack's designs.

Has anyone actually conducted an inventory of the molds to determine what is
available and what is not? You will have to use one of Jack's catalogs to index
the molds and related plansets.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm with you, Ed ... I was fortunate enough to purchase Jack's XP-54 and XP-55 plans shortly before his death. The status of his plan and mold inventory is of interest to the entire modeling community. I don't know if "mtnmnstr" got cold feet when some in this thread suggested releasing the plans into the public domain, or if issues of ownership of intellectual property put the brakes on. Perhaps there's an attorney in the RCU world who could contribute toward making these resources available once again.
Regards,
pjw
Old 05-17-2007, 07:35 AM

Hi PJ:

Believe all that is required would be a Power Of Attorney letter from Jack's daughter stating
she releases all rights to Jack's molds, plans, and instructions to whom ever has them now
"without recourse". Nothing complex by any stretch of one's imagination.

I mentioned in an earlier post someone would probably have to have a copy of a Jack Bale
catalog to know the part numbers and to see an index of what goes with what planset. I'd
imagine each mold is either scratch I.D.'d or with a perm. marker. A large number of the
super detailed designs had many small parts.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:33 PM

Hello All
Sorry for the lack of posting in this thread. I have sent out plans to those whom e-mail me. As of now, all I could say is of those who knew him or of him; you are quit passionate about his designs. Of the plans that have been salvaged, I was trying to compare the molds to the plans, none of the molds are identified and were and unusable condition. The plans & molds have been picked over by who ever had them last. I could not match a complete set. This thread did not get cold, It never warmed up. Of the 9 posters here and the 20 inquires I sold plans to; I still have not recouped my original purchase outlay. I have also had many emails just as passionate wanting to rid the modeling community of his designs. I have currently more pressing issues within my family to deal with. The plans that were salvaged are in my workshop. As for the intellectual property rights, A copy right lawyer told me it would cost me more in fees then I would ever make back. Look for the thread about Lockheed (I believe it was) suing to stop molders from making models of their designs. All you have to do is redraw his plans and place your title block on the drawing and it’s yours. Prove otherwise. Again. Cost vs. Return. I have pulled up a few plans that required large pieces of vacu-formed parts. IMHO. Any modeler who is of the skill level to build from one of his prints could frame up and skin with either balsa or glass with much better results. I will continue to send out plans as requested.

Mtnmnstr
Gene
Old 06-01-2007, 08:04 PM

Mtnmnster,
I purchased E-2C plans on E-Bay a year and a half ago from Vintage Airplane Plans. Were the plans from your Jack Bale collection? I could not read the drafter's signature.

Larry
Old 06-02-2007, 08:42 AM

Larry
No they were not.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:04 AM

Would you please e-mail a list of the plans you do have available, Gene?
Thanks,
[email protected]
Old 06-14-2007, 01:29 PM
My Feedback: (66)

Gene

Do you still have Jack's plans for the V-173? If so, what is the cost? Please email me at: [email protected]

Best Regards

Joshua
Old 07-10-2007, 06:29 PM

Glad to see this thread, Finally other people who are interested in Jack Bales plans.
I for one would love to see all of his plans brought back to light. I can only hope that I can obtain a few more of his early jet designs.
my son and I were able to build an EDF version of Jack's XP-59 design. Many years ago when I purchased the plans from Jack, I told him that I would like to eventually build a powered version (originally designed as a slope soarer) Jack said It would be very dificult, however with all of the great new electric power systems and Li-po batteries, it is all possible. Jack's designs are a natural for E-power.

mtnmnstr, Thanks for rescuing the plans, Please provide Jack's fans with a list of what is available.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:56 PM

here are a few pictures
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90205.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	720319   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54620.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	720320  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.