Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Dave Brown Skyloft? Anyone try it?

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Dave Brown Skyloft? Anyone try it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2002, 01:12 AM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Dave Brown Skyloft? Anyone try it?

Have any of you used Dave Brown Products Skyloft or Sig Koverall?

I am giving up on Monokote and it's clones! Tired of the wrinkles, bubbles and sags. Goin back to silk and dope, or something similar. Have been using silkspan but need something a little stronger.
Old 10-09-2002, 04:48 PM
Mr_Ed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used it a couple of times and love it. Skyloft is very simple to use and quite strong. The only recomendation would be to use sanding sealer to fill the fabric. Otherwise, it takes several coats of clear dope to fill.

Let me know how you like it.

Mr Ed
Old 10-09-2002, 07:39 PM
Dzlstunter

Polyspan is a heat-shrinkable polyester alternative to silkspan. It's light, tough, applies with dope (or thinned aliphatic resin glue), and can be finished like silk or silkspan. The downside: it doesn't like compound curves, so you may want to use silkspan in those areas. Also, you MUST be sure to put it on shiny side up and to seal the surface before you even think about sanding it. Lots 'o nasty fuzzies otherwise. (Don't ask how I know this!) It all depends on your needs and experience. The pro-stunt guys in controlline seem to like it. If you go to Stuka Stunt Works and search for it, you should get a sense of the product. Dzl
Old 03-10-2003, 02:07 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have used both Koverall and Skyloft and I like Koverall much better. Skyloft expands when wet and then shrinks as it dries, so you put it on wet and then hope your structure is strong enough to withstand the shrinkage, because you have no control once it is applied. Koverall heat shrinks. Also, Skyloft is not woven and the holes between the fibers vary tremendously in size. I didn't use sanding sealer because I wanted to leave the open frame parts clear doped, and I had to daub the larger holes with dope endlessly to get them to close. And even though Skyloft looks and feels light, when I weighed it I was surprised to find it was heavier than Koverall. Plus it takes more dope to seal. The sanding sealer suggestion above sounds good, but Koverall works so well I will never go back to Skyloft. Skyloft also has a lot of fuzz (but that's not a big problem as long as you leave it alone until you've doped it).

For a clear doped silkspan look I will try Polyspan instead of Skyloft. I just bought some and the holes are much smaller and much more even, plus the material is way lighter than either Skyloft or Koverall.

I'm also ordering from Thai Silks. The Habotai 8mm silk is a little lighter than Koverall and comes in a stunning array of colors--they sent me a free sample. They have a blazing red, like a Chinese lantern, and many other deep, brilliant colors.

Good luck--I like hearing that other people still dope. It looks so much better than plastic film.

Jim
Old 03-10-2003, 04:52 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Koverall

Thanks to all for your excellent advice.

I have just covered and painted a Top Flite Headmaster with Koverall on the wings and silkspan on the fuselage and tail. Attached and sealed everything with Nitrate dope and painted with Hobby Poxy. It looks great and is quite light. Haven't put the trim color on yet, still waiting for the right weather conditions.

I have also bought a lifetime supply of Koverall and Ambroid from a modeler on RCU! I have two more planes in the wings that need covering. Guess I should get to work!
Old 03-11-2003, 05:11 AM
R. C. Day
My Feedback: (7)

Buzzard bait,
I have been using the skyloft on my glow birds, but the Thai silks sound really good. The silk that I use now is from Aero and is only available in white. How can we find the Thai silks for ourselves?
Come on BB, give it up!
Thanks for your help (I hope).

R. C.
Old 03-11-2003, 01:51 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No problem, R.C., here it is:
http://www.thaisilks.com/

Go to "Shopping, Fabrics" and then "Habotai-China silks." You'll see the 8mm comes in colors for $6.15 for 36"x45". Plain white is cheaper and available in other sizes and thicknesses for as little as $2.40 per yd.

The "mm" means "mome" and it is a weight unit for fabrics. Someone elsewhere on RCU said 8mm weighs 1 oz. per sq. yd. (cf. Koverall at 1.25 oz. per yd.). For lighter material get the 5 or 6mm (but they only come in natural white).

I have some red, silver, and 5mm white on order now. Will post a new thread on Thai Silks once I have some experience with it.

If you are an AMA member go to their site and "members only" and get the article on silk and dope. It was mentioned in this thread or another on RCU--you can search RCU for "silk". Good luck!

Jim
Old 03-12-2003, 04:22 AM
R. C. Day
My Feedback: (7)

Buzzard bait,
You are da man. Thanks for sharing your source with the rest of us. I still have two packages (envelopes) of Skyloft, if this silk works out I may have the Skyloft for a long time.
Thanks again BB.

R. C.