Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

3D computer aircraft models

Old 01-11-2002, 06:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3D computer aircraft models

Hello, I was wondering if anyone knew of any websites that had any good 3d aircraft models.
Like the ones that are on the web page that you can turn and roll and tilt. I have run across a couple of sites but some of the models are not very good. I think they use VRML.

Beats buying a plastic model for reference.

Thanks Ted
Old 01-19-2002, 01:54 PM

Default 3D Aircraft Models

Hi Ted,

I've had an interest in CAD for many years, and have produced some of the models you speak of. Unfortunately, I don't know of any that are both good and free. (or even cheap) As one example, the 3D Piaggio "Avanti" P-180 I created, as research for the 1/6th scale version I'm building, is published by Viewpoint Digital ( www. viewpoint.com) and it sells for $895 US. Stiff, I know, but after you put hundreds of hours into these things, you don't want to give them away. Here's an image of the model. (There are a lot of CAD images on (non-commercial) my site, but the models themselves are not downloadable.)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1257_2519.gif
Views:	45
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	1385  
Old 01-19-2002, 03:19 PM

Default 3d objects on the web

Very nice site Mike. Your work looks very professional and with all those hours of work you should get paid for it. I am not really looking for any thing of that high quality though. What I am looking for is just basic 3D models to use as reference when scratch building a plane. It does not have to be pretty but just has to have the basic exterier shape. This is more along the linesof what I am looking for. http://ciel .me.cmu.edu/soji/aircraft/aircrafte.html

I can use somthing like this as a reference whlie building. I know these are not exactly what these planes look like but they are a good starting point to work from. I used the Blue Angels F18 on that page as a reference to make my plug for a little 20 size pusher. I am laying the glass on for the mold now and hope to have the fuse laid up in a week or so. Ready made 3D images really cut a ton of time from the design and building process. Here is a link to another one of my posts here looking for help with control throws on the F18.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...threadid=34189]
Old 01-19-2002, 06:45 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default rccad

Maybe this would suit your needs

RCCAD
Old 01-20-2002, 05:27 PM

Default 3D aircraft

Cool site with lots of 3d models. Some of them are quite good too. thanks Kamlooper

Ted