Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Has anyone ever seen plans for one of these? >

Has anyone ever seen plans for one of these?

Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Has anyone ever seen plans for one of these?

Old 01-17-2002, 08:56 PM
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone ever seen plans for one of these?

Just wondering if any plans for the PA-48 exist.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1158_2242.gif
Views:	37
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	1523  
Old 01-17-2002, 09:38 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Well since this was a P-51 I would just get some good plans of a 51 and 3 views of this plane and bash it to look like it. Leave off the belly scoop, add the hard points and wing tanks and you would have a good version.
Old 01-18-2002, 11:15 AM

Default Plans

You could also try to write to Piper Aircraft and see if they have any docs they are willing to send you. They were the ones that came up with these mods but remember one thing.

Piper has gone through alot of changes since then. Also, they may not have the personnel to be bothered with the request.

They are now located in Vero Beach, Fl.

Good Luck
Tony
Old 01-24-2002, 12:52 PM
My Feedback: (9)

Default PA-48

Just to add some info, I was at Edwards Air Force Base, California about three years ago and they have a small fenced in yard (small shop/storage building) down by the NASA area where they lift the shuttle on the back of the 747. In this yard is a bunch of old aircraft parts and peices (numerous jet engines from the XB-70, old navy jets, peices of B-58, B-1 capsule, helo parts, etc, etc. Anyway, you get the picture....it is an aircraft junkyard that belongs to the museum and contains things they may decide to use some day. I only bring this up because one of your PA-48s is sitting in there, not in great shape, but almost complete. If I remember....I believe only two were built and demo'ed. Don't know where the other got off to. Basically though, the aircraft wasn't sexy enough for third world Air Forces to buy. They wanted F-16s and such. Anyway, unless they have cleaned up that yard, that aircraft is still there. Any modeler who wants to build one may want to take a trip to Edwards and check it out. Razorback11
Old 01-30-2002, 07:25 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Here's a web site about the enforcer;

http://aeroweb.brooklyn.cuny.edu/specs/piper/ppr-48.htm

Shows that the other enforcer is on display at the air force museum in Ohio. I tried to look at the AF museum web page, but it wouldn't load for me.

Anyway, differences from a P-51 would include a rounder/wider cross section of the nose - to fit the turbine.

Used to know the head of customer service at Piper. He said that the CEO at the time (Stuart Miller???, not sure) retained the type certificate of the P-51 as his personal property as part of his golden parachute when he left the company. For me, that's better than an Enron gig.
Old 01-31-2002, 01:23 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Default Another Enforcer

Several years ago when I visited the Air Force Museum in Dayton, Ohio I saw one of the remaining Piper Enforcers on display in the Annex Hanger. Don't know if it is still there, but it's probably still at the museum somewhere.

Jerry