Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Plan Request for weston magnum?

Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Plan Request for weston magnum?

Old 12-27-2005, 03:31 AM
spadalltheway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plan Request for weston magnum?

Hi, can someone pretty please make me a set of plans of the Weston Magnum,nothing fancy just something to build off
thanks
Old 12-29-2005, 02:58 AM
spadalltheway

Default RE: Plan Request for weston magnum?

Anyone?
Old 12-29-2005, 03:46 PM
SydDythers
My Feedback: (5)

Hi, I suppose I can't speak for everyone here but I doubt you'll find someone to donate their time in filling your request unless they've previously designed it for themselves. What you will find is an abundance of people offering to answer any questions you might have as you embark on designing it yourself!

Good luck,

John
Old 12-29-2005, 04:06 PM
50%plane

ORIGINAL: spadalltheway

Hi, can someone pretty please make me a set of plans of the Weston Magnum,nothing fancy just something to build off
thanks
I'll attempt(I want practice) Do you have any measurements and angles?

Woops
Old 12-29-2005, 04:09 PM
SydDythers

Lol Woops, you had to prove me wrong!

Cheers,

John
Old 12-29-2005, 06:04 PM
50%plane

ORIGINAL: SydDythers

Lol Woops, you had to prove me wrong!

Cheers,

John
Hey, I want practice.

Woops
Old 12-29-2005, 06:11 PM
spadalltheway

THANKS ALOT yes i do have pics, i only have a few pictures but you should be able to find some somwhere.
The tail has a little bit of anhedral.,

DIMENSIONAL SPECIFICATIONS

Wingspan: 34.45 inches
Length: 42.13 inches
Weight: 3.86 Lbs.

http://image.rcuniverse.com/forum/up...70/Rn39481.jpg
http://www.westonusa.com/images/magnum.pdf
http://www.rcfun.co.uk/planepages/westonmagnum.htm
Old 12-29-2005, 06:51 PM
50%plane

I'm familiar with the plane,

but I don't have any geometrical specs. I can't design a replica if I don't have those specs. I could try to design a similar plane though.

Woops

Edited to better define my reply
Old 12-29-2005, 06:59 PM
50%plane

Also, what do you want for construction?
Old 12-30-2005, 05:18 AM
spadalltheway

I would like a balsa/ply body, foam core wing.
I wish to power it by tt pro 46 on a pipe(found one at hoby store)

DIMENSIONAL SPECIFICATIONS

Wingspan: 34.45 inches
Length: 42.13 inches

Thats all i have, need to find someone who has one who can pass on some specs
Old 12-30-2005, 05:35 AM
perttime

I think the original (non-ARF) Magnum had a flattish balsa plank wing. The wing was delivered in a few pieces that you would glue together and then shape with a balsa plane. There was a review of that in an old RCME magazine. The review plane was made with a quite thick trailing edge.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:00 PM
50%plane

So far, I've designed a plane kindda like the Magnum. This plane will kindda feed off a plane that I designed called the Shreek so I will call this design Shreek2. The wingspan will be 33". How detailed do you want the plans? Right now, the canopy area will be formed by planking and sanding. 1/8"/3/16" balse sticks over formers. I assume that weight will not be a major issue as you won't be trying to 3D this plane. I will keep the weight down to ensure a good landing though. I will also be making one of these for myself as this design looks pretty good. Any airfoil suggestions?

Woops
Old 12-31-2005, 02:11 AM
spadalltheway

I have no idea, just a slim/slender semmetrical airfoil id think, can you post what youve done so far?Thanks alot
Old 12-31-2005, 02:53 AM
BMatthews

The original used solid balsa wings made from 1/4 or 5/16 inch sheet. For an engine up to a 35 I'd say use 1/4. for a 40 or up definetly 5/16
Old 12-31-2005, 04:27 AM
perttime

Found the RCME article (March 2000 issue).

Span 35"
Average chord 10.5"
Wing Area 366 sq.in.
Length 38"
Tailplane span 19"
Tailplane area 95 sq.in.
All-up weight 4 lbs

wing was 3/8" balsa

They estimated 170 mph on a tweaked and piped Magnum .40 engine and APC 8X8 prop. Stability was great.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:35 AM
50%plane

I have no idea, just a slim/slender semmetrical airfoil id think, can you post what youve done so far?Thanks alot
Sorry, I can't post what I've done.(I don't think it's possible with TurboCAD LE) Maybe I'll try a NACA 0005, but I'll have to look around. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do the canopy area? I'm not sure about the weight factor. How was it done on the origional? Pics?

Woops
Old 12-31-2005, 09:11 AM
perttime

In the RCME article there was a pic where there is a slim wooden frame and a long molded plastic piece for the canopy/rear fuselage top. The rest of the fuselage seems to be just a box.

I suppose bent balsa or planking is the easiest way for building from a plan.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...13024#continue
Old 12-31-2005, 09:12 AM
spadalltheway

Hi, thankyou verry much for doing these plans. cant you press print screen(on the keyboard) and put it in paint and post what you have done? BTW No rush, sounds like your doing a good jo! Itshould scream on my TT Pro .46 with Tuned Pipe and 8x9 prop?
Old 12-31-2005, 02:46 PM
BMatthews

3/8 sheet for the wings sounds a LOT better given the speeds. Sorry for my thoughts on the 1/4 inch option.

Didn't the kit use a basic box with a vacuformed plastic upper and canopy? The easy way to replicate this in a one off would be a block of either balsa or blue foam with a layup of 4 oz glass cloth and epoxy over it. Glue on the foam, carve and sand away anything that doesn't look like a Magnum and then glass over it. Use as little resin as you can then fill the weave with a coat of lightweight wall filler thinned with a bit of water. Prime and paint.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:53 PM
50%plane

Hi, thankyou verry much for doing these plans. cant you press print screen(on the keyboard) and put it in paint and post what you have done? BTW No rush, sounds like your doing a good jo! Itshould scream on my TT Pro .46 with Tuned Pipe and 8x9 prop?
I had forgotten about that. Here's what I've done so far:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77740.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	378710  
Old 12-31-2005, 04:00 PM
50%plane

As you can see, I didn't get the spinner the right size from the top view. It shouldn't matter that much as I'm planning to use carved balsa for the cowl/cheeks so you can carve to fit spinner. I don't think I got my centerline just right, but that shouldn't be a problem as you don't need to build off that. Does anyone know how to erace a line? If you're supposed to be able to, I haven't figured it out yet. I figured out how for right after drawing it, but I realized later that I messed up.

Thanks,
Woops
Old 12-31-2005, 04:35 PM
BMatthews

To "erase" a line or any other element use the Selector tool (the arrowhead) and select them and then simply hit the delete key.

Hints for the design... A little less sweep, more fin area (about double) and about a 50% larger stabilizer.

The spinner is a little too pointed. Here's a capture of a quick bessier curve I did to show you an option. I plopped down some points and then used the Node Edit tool (alternate to the Selector tool) to refine the curve to something that looks more or less like the readily available spinners. As shown it is still in the Node Edit mode and that is why you can see the node points as little blue square dots. From here you would then switch to Selector mode, select the curve and Mirror to get the other side of the spinner and then add a straight line to the to ends using the V SEKE (V for vertex) to snap the line down to the ends of the curves and create a spinner.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80725.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	378736  
Old 12-31-2005, 04:40 PM
BMatthews

A few other things...

Before you finalize on the nose and fuselage shape be sure to find out the engine dimensions and build up or modify the nose area to suit the engines. Also to keep it simple I'd go back to the 3/8 solid wing but show a nice profile on the first inch of the leading edge and taper the last 1 1/2 inches of the trailing edge. And showing a bit of 1/4 sq spruce on the leading edge to form a hard line would be a nice touch. Since this model has no landing gear a harder leading edge will save a lot of dings from landings.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:44 PM
50%plane

Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't do much on the spinner as there are a number of different shapes. I thought I would design a plane to incorperate a spinner with a 2inch backplate. I haven't really decided on wing construction yet. I thought about doing it like the laser arrow,(balsa) but I'm thinking now of using CF spars and egg-crate type construction. I think the fin area is sufficient, but I'll look into enlarging it. I will, however, enlarge the stab. Also, I've thought about using a landing skid. Any thoughts?

Woops
Old 12-31-2005, 06:05 PM
BMatthews

The fin is far from sufficient. You need to consider that the swept wing puts the effective MAC of the wing far to the rear of the root chord. As shown it sure looks like your side area in front of the 25% of the MAC is going to be the same or close to it as the side area to the rear. And that is not a good thing Add in the forward fin effect of the prop disc and you're setting yourself up for a situation somewhat like flying an arrow backwards. At twice what you show now it should be OK but much smaller than that and I think you'll be in for a hard time. Look at the fin areas of the modern fighters. They are HUGE and doubled by having two of them at that. This is because the fins are so close to the main lifting areas of the wing and center body. You're in the same boat ... er... plane here because of the sweep angle and nose length.

The spinner was as much a hint for using TurboCAD as anything else. Hope it helped. A 2 inch backplate should be large enough to house any of the current 46's pretty much as per the original Magnum. Good call there. But you'll probably need that whole two inches of width for the engine, mounts, plywood doublers and final balsa sides. Likely nothing left for cheek blocks. some bits of triangle or block filler in the nose will let you butcher the corners to blend into the spinner though. I think you'll find that many of these minimalist designs with huge engines use something similar.

For grass I'd just belly land it. For pavement a set of wire whiskers at the nose, tail and wingtips would be a VERY good idea. 1/8 wire at the nose and 1/16 elsewhere should do the trick. Or a faired in monowheel in the belly at about the root leading edge with wire whiskers at the other three points.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.