Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Cessna T-50/UC-78/Bobcat/Bamboo Bomber >

Cessna T-50/UC-78/Bobcat/Bamboo Bomber

Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Cessna T-50/UC-78/Bobcat/Bamboo Bomber

Old 01-21-2002, 07:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cessna T-50/UC-78/Bobcat/Bamboo Bomber

I think that watching "Sky King" on TV as a young kid was what got me interested in aviation. Because of that, I've always had a soft spot for the Cessna T-50 twin. (and the 310) I've seen a few plans, but never see any at the field, or even in magazines. Does this plane have problems at model size? (other than the ones normally associated with twins)

Have any of you built and/or flown one? If so, I'd love to know the details!

... I may still build one some day.
Old 01-21-2002, 02:00 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default Cessna Bobcat

I recently cut the parts for a Don SMith Cessna Bobcat. Budcop is building it. So far it has gone together pretty good. He isn't finished with it yet so I can't comment on how it flies. It seems to be building up pretty light so I think it will be an excellent flyer. Now, if bud would only get busy building and finish it...

I would recommend it. Retracts for it will cost you an arm and a leg, or at least your first child. It doesn't need to be way over powered so a single engine situation won't be as bad.

Can anyone comment on why Don Smith designed in so many ribs for this thing? That was the worst part of cutting the parts. Rib spacing is less than 1.5 inches. Seems like twice as many ribs as you would really need.
Old 01-21-2002, 07:43 PM

Default Bobcat

A friend on mine used to kit two sizes of the Bobcat, one was .25 size the other was giant scale with two O.S. .70 Surpass . Both flew great ! I have flown the big one it flew as if on rails. He did all kinds of stuff the plane was not suppose to do (i.e. low inverted , snaps ). He marketed them under the name of K-flight Industries. He is retired now.
Old 01-31-2002, 01:39 AM

Default rib spacing

VoughtF4U

I would say Don Smith probably just used scale rib spacing. The Bobcat had a lot of ribs. I'd like to build one someday, but I want it to be 1/4 scale or about 125" span. A friend of my dad's in Illinois owns a full scale AT-17 with Lycoming radials.

Jerry
Old 02-03-2002, 03:11 PM
My Feedback: (98)

Default Cessna T-50/UC-78/Bobcat/Bamboo Bomber

Does anyone have a good 3 view of it? I've been searching the web, got lots of pictures, but no 3 views.

I would like to build a Ryobi powered one. I just finished my first 1/4 scaleish Ryobi powered plane and am very impressed with how it pulls a 16# airplane. I made a small page on it:

http://www.netlabs.net/hp/soarrich/G-BRIT.html

Rich Border
Old 02-03-2002, 04:48 PM
My Feedback: (60)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default 3-view

Paul Matt did some really great drawings for this bird. I have them in a magazine somewhere but I think they are available from Model Airplane News also. Best regards, Chad.
Old 02-03-2002, 04:51 PM

Default 3 views

The Paul Matt 3 views are available in "Paul Matt Scale Airplane Drawings, Volume 1." It's a book sold by www.HistoricAviation.com.