Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Kit Cutting?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2002, 04:34 AM
irishcarbomb
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kit Cutting?

Out of all the available options (die cutting, laser cutting, CNC Router cutting) whis gives better quality? i have access to a CNC overhead router table at school, but if thats a really bad way to do this i would like to know.
thanks in advance

rob o'
Old 01-25-2002, 04:57 AM
mselby
My Feedback: (1)

Default Kit Cutting?

CNC routers usually give good results. You need to choose the right bit and speed. I usually use between a .8 and a 1.2 mm bit, 4 flute type. Be careful not to cut too deep in one pass. test to see how many passes you need at a reasonable depth to get a clean cut.
Mike
Old 01-25-2002, 12:02 PM
MTT
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kit cutting

I would say that laser cutting is the most exact, closely followed by CNC-routing. With die cutting it depends very much of the age and quality of the dies, to the extreme, that when the dies are old and not so sharp anymore, people start talking about "die-crushing"
So go ahead with the CNC-router at your school !

Michael
Old 01-26-2002, 04:51 PM
Lazer Works

Default Kit Cutting?

If you have already got your plans in CAD format, send em my way... I will cut them out for you with a laser. Less headache for you.

Jesse
Old 02-01-2002, 04:15 AM
irishcarbomb
My Feedback: (4)

Default Kit Cutting?

i appreciate the offer, but i think i'm going to use the CNC @ my school, i'll be able to get a grade for it which will be nice. i will keep your company in mind for future designs. thanks

rob o'
Old 02-01-2002, 03:44 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kit Cutting?

My thought is to stick to something you know and are comfortable with. It may be slower, but it is always faster to be able to manipulate the finished product as it is being cut so to fix an error that you hadn't seen until just a moment before.

This allows you to build a portion of an A/C, see how it fits, if your principles are correct, then continue. If everything is close enough you can do a few more parts, glue them up or throw them away, and do the same tomorrow with new dimensions. Better than sending a disk and a box of wood across the nation and "Hoping" they will fit upon return.

Supposing you needed to add or trim off about 1/32 from the ends of certain ribs? Can't do that via long distance. Your system in your circumstances was initially correct.

Wm.