Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Fiberglass fuse and wings ?

Old 01-25-2002, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiberglass fuse and wings ?

How would i make a fiberglass fusealage, wings, etc..would blue foam work ? what oz. cloth would i use ?, how many layers? could kevlar be a good substitute ? how about carbon fiber? Thanks
Old 01-25-2002, 09:01 PM

Default Fibreglass Fuselage and wings

You need to be a bit more specific. Is this a one off project or will you be making many copies of the same part.

Either way it will involve the use of fairly expensive materials. Cloth, Epoxy Resin, Fillers etc.

Ed S
Old 01-25-2002, 09:07 PM

Default Fiberglass fuse and wings ?

it will be an one off project, but i would like to make copies .
Old 01-25-2002, 10:51 PM

Default Fiberglass Model

Start with the size of the model and its wing area. Determine the wing loading and power loading. That will give you a gross weight. Subtract out the weight of the engine, radio equipment and hardware. That will leave the allowable weight of the airframe. Allocate the airframe weight among the wing, fuselage and tail. Now you have target weights for each part of the airframe. This will tell you how much fiberglass, foam and epoxy you can use. Figure the weight of the epoxy is equal to the weight of the fiberglass. The area to be covered (twice the wing area) is divided into the allowed weight of the fiberglass to find the allowed weight in ounces per square yard. Now the trick is to design the structure so that is is strong and stiff enough, using only the allowed weight of materials.
Old 01-26-2002, 12:03 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Default Many different techniques exist

How exactly are you going to make wings, for example?

You may try a simple way: cut the wings out of a block of foam using a hot wire and then cover them with glass cloth. This is a less labor intensive approach, but the blue foam is HEAVY!

The other way (which requires WAY more time) is using negative matrices: make very accurate wooden wings (with basswood or anything else easy to work with); make negative matrices for upper and lower surfaces of the wings; lay outer glass cloth into these matrices, then thin foam sheet (.25" thick), and the inner glass layer. Then, this sandwich is put into a vacuum bag and cured. Such wing shells are much lighter and stronger than anything else. R/C glider people use this techniques for years.

Sorry, I don't have weight data for such sandwich wings, but I remember they they are pretty light for their strength. I'm sure you can find a lot of information about these techniques on the Web.

Boris
Old 01-26-2002, 08:31 AM

Default Fiberglass

My non-commercial web site, at www.nextcraft.com has a tutorial on how to make plugs and molds, and also links to suppliers of the materials.

Just click the "Design and Building Tips" button. There are a lot of photos and CAD images, to help you understand the process. Hope this helps.

Warning... Making molds is addictive!