Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Canopy Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 06:16 PM
Dizzyflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canopy Question

Hello all,
wondering if someone could point me in the right direction on how to build a custom Lexan / Plastic canopy. I know I need blank, but what next? I am scratch building an airplane and I don't think the "average 2 liter" will work for my application : ) Where should I purchase materials, do I HAVE to vacuum bag, etc....... I searched the forum and didn't see much on the subject..

Thank you!!
Robert
Old 04-02-2006, 09:07 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default RE: Canopy Question

Here's a short tutorial I did a few years back that may be of some use.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_81...r/tm.htm#81435
Old 04-03-2006, 10:14 PM
Dizzyflyer

Thank you Chad!! I think I am going to give it a whirl! VERY helpful thread! Any tips on plastic types/thickness for a small canopy?

Again thank you!
Robert
Old 04-06-2006, 11:04 PM
matt138

I'm currently building a S400 size extra 300s. I got my canopy from my computer mouse(logitech) box. l The shape and the size is just about nice to fit the plane. Hope this helps.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:36 AM
Chad Veich

Robert, how small of a canopy are we talking? For something on a park flyer type aircraft .015 is probably thick enough. I use .030 for everything up to some .40 and .60 size airplanes with no problems. Really big canopies may have to be made from .060 or even thicker. If you can find it PETG works very well for clear canopies. Most hobby shops have ready supplies of K&S clear sheets (Butyrate I think) which I've also used with no problems.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:48 PM
2wingsonly

Ok I just pulled a canopy this morning. So I have tried two methods one with a balsa mold painted with a hi temp engine paint to fill the grain and the other canopy was made using foam then appying drywall mud and sand then molding with plaster for the negitive and then pouring for the positive plug. The finish of the plaster was poor. Just spend the money and carve a balsa plug and paint it with hi temp paint.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:11 PM
Chad Veich

If you want to cast a plug for pulling clear parts the best thing to use is Bondo. Bondo is very hard and can be sanded to a nearly perfect finish. An easier method is to make a pull over your balsa plug and leave it. Sand the first pull with progressively finer grades of sand paper down to about 320 or 400 making sure to get all the glossy sheen off of the first pull. Now just pull a second canopy over the first and viola! This trick came from RCM magazine via Dave Andersen I believe. Works great and is much easier than trying to put the perfect finish on your plug.