Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

New Building Surface Ideas?

Old 05-03-2006, 09:05 AM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Building Surface Ideas?

I am in need of a bigger building table and am looking for some ideas. Currently, I have a table made from MDF that is 24"x60" with the top sheeted with acoustic ceiling panels to give something to stick t-pins into. I am moving up to a couple of 80" span planes and have been thinking about using a hollow core interior door as my base, again sheeted on one side with ceiling panels. I will not be using heavy weights on this table, all foam wings will be sheeted using vacuum, so it does not have to be super heavy duty. Is one hollow core door sturdy enough or should I laminate a pair together for a really sturdy (but still light) table top? I would use a solid core door, but I already have enough heavy, bulky things in my garage that I am not crazy about another one...

Any thoughts, suggestions, alternates are welcome.

Mark
Old 05-03-2006, 09:43 AM
Dr1Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Building Surface Ideas?

Hollow core doors work well. Be sure to brace the door around the edges and a couple of places in the middle in an "H" pattern. Use 2 x 4s on edge IF you can find some straight ones. Good luck! If you can't, use doubled 1 x 4 in some type of hardwood, like popular or oak. Lowe's and HD both carry this. Screw it solidly to the door and be sure your leg system is sturdy.

Currently, I'm using a 28" x 72" oak library table with a solid core door on top of it. I also use ceiling tile with 3/32" cork over that. It makes an excellent table and surface. Solid as a rock and flat as Twiggy.

Dr.1
Old 05-03-2006, 10:24 AM
mmattockx

Be sure to brace the door around the edges and a couple of places in the middle in an "H" pattern. Use 2 x 4s on edge IF you can find some straight ones. Good luck! If you can't, use doubled 1 x 4 in some type of hardwood, like popular or oak. Lowe's and HD both carry this. Screw it solidly to the door and be sure your leg system is sturdy.
Doh! I forgot to mention that I am going to set up a clamping system to simply mount it directly on top of my current table, or maybe set it up to lay across a couple of short sawhorses I have made for this sort of work. Either way, it will be well supported and not allowed to sag or twist. That was part of my thoughts on laminating two doors together, that gets to be one solid, rigid piece and still light enough to handle without a hernia. Another choice for a good brace is to cut strips of 3/4" plywood and set them on edge. It's pretty easy to get a dead straight cut with a good straight edge and some care and the plywood doesn't warp much with humidity changes.

I also use ceiling tile with 3/32" cork over that
I've never heard of the cork before. I like it, I bet that cuts down on the dusty/chalky stuff you get from the edges of the tiles. I will have to look for some to try that on the new board.

My one other idea for this new surface was to make it double sided, with the ceiling tiles on one side to allow for pinning pieces down and a set of fuse jig rails mounted to the other side (like the Gator R/C jig) to allow me to build up big fuselages as well. That will let me do anything up to a full 2M pattern ship fuse and 80" wings in one piece on the board. If that's not enough, I'll go looking for professional help!

Thanks for the input,
Mark
Old 05-03-2006, 11:48 AM
Dr1Driver

Since it'll be portable, I like the idea of making it double-sided. Try Lowe's, HD, or even WW for cork rolls.

Dr.1
Old 05-03-2006, 12:01 PM
mmattockx

ORIGINAL: Dr1Driver

Since it'll be portable, I like the idea of making it double-sided. Try Lowe's, HD, or even WW for cork rolls.

Dr.1
After I sent that, I started thinking that maybe I should leave it at 2 doors separate, one with the tiles and one with the fuse jig. That way, I can have one set up with glue drying and be able to work on the other one. Ah well, I can ponder that for a while on my own. Either way, they can stack together in the corner for storage. I will check our local HD and see what they have.

Thanks for the tips,
Mark
Old 05-03-2006, 05:35 PM
the-plumber

If you can deal with the weight issue, a torsion box building table would likely be the last building table you'll ever have to flange up.

Photos of such a table [link=http://home.mindspring.com/~the-plumber/PhotoAlbums/Torsion%20Box%20Building%20Table/index.htm]on my web site, [/link]with a link to the original DIY Network construction episodes.

Old 05-05-2006, 07:34 PM
Grasshopper109

I would defiantly go for a cork top I find cork great not only for pinning things but also it is great for cutting things as well.

Grasshopper
Old 05-05-2006, 09:30 PM
Whistling Death

Here are 2 places that sell cork..........

[link=http://www.bangorcork.com/index.cfm]Bangor Cork[/link]
[link=http://www.corkstore.com/compass/servlet/WBServlet?webfunctionid=web.login&action=login&functionid=login]Cork Store[/link]
Old 05-07-2006, 04:02 PM
tucker1865
My Feedback: (6)

Mark...I would forget the ceiling tiles, and buy a sheet (4 X 8) of Celotex or even Homasote. The depot has celotex and you could call around to lumber/bldg supply companys for the homasote. homasote is a little firmer than celotex. Hope this helps. Dave Oh BTW I have heard of people using a sheet of drywall/sheet rock.
Old 05-07-2006, 04:36 PM
mmattockx

ORIGINAL: tucker1865

Mark...I would forget the ceiling tiles, and buy a sheet (4 X 8) of Celotex or even Homasote. The depot has celotex and you could call around to lumber/bldg supply companys for the homasote. homasote is a little firmer than celotex. Hope this helps. Dave Oh BTW I have heard of people using a sheet of drywall/sheet rock.
I will check out Celotex before I buy anything other than the doors. I have tried the drywall and wasn't as happy with it. YMMV...

Thanks,
Mark
Old 06-03-2006, 11:26 PM
wingnutinc

Another surface that works well over a hallow core door is a 1/2" sheet of dry wall. That is my current building table. It's very flat and hold pins better than my cork covered board.