Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

design help

Old 01-31-2002, 03:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default design help

I have finnished my first true scrach built model and I need help. I have built models from plans but this is my design. This is a 1/2a design with a norvel .061. It is a fun fly design with a 27" ws, 7.5" cord, and 15% airfoil. It kind of looks like a competion fun-fly. It has oversized control surfaces and weighs about 18oz. I thought I would have near vertical performance with this little plane BUT NO!! It stuggles to gain altitude. At full throttle it flys a litte faster than a park flier. I have tried a 6-2, 5.7-3, and 5-3 props and the 5-3 seems to work the best with a little more speed, but still is very hard to do a loop. Here is the question: Do I just need a larger engine? (this plane weighs 18oz!!)
Is the airfoil too thick and causing too much drag??
Might I have a problem with my incidences??

Thanks for all the help
Old 01-31-2002, 12:01 PM

Default Power Loading

Your power loading is way too high for vertical performance. A hot 0.10 cid or a sport 0.15 cid engine will give you vertical performance.
Old 02-02-2002, 04:05 AM

Default design help

Try the Norvel .074 it has the power of a .10 and weighs only 2 oz

-Paul
Old 02-02-2002, 06:51 AM

Default Power Loading

Small engines run best with high nitro fuel. Fifteen percent nitromethane is not too much.
Old 02-03-2002, 03:47 PM

Default design help

Thanks for the help. Ollie is right. I was running 10% and just did not have enough power. I borrowed some 25% today and what a difference!! I don't have unlimited vertical but it now climbs with athority and is very fun to fly. I still think it would be fun to try the .074 though.
Old 02-03-2002, 07:15 PM

Default design help

Stuck, one of my buddies, is going to do a fun fly with the .074 soon. He goes by the name of Foamguy, you can find him in the Fun Fly forum.

--Paul