Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

more CAD help

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 10:26 PM
sharpshooter223

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default more CAD help

ok, i have some veiwers and basic CADs, but i dont have any veiwers that will let me resize plans, i have edrawings2007 free version, and CADstd. they both open files, and on CADstd i can make basic 2d drawings, but i cant resize things. also, is there a free CAD that can do some more complex drafting and airfoils.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:29 AM
dolanosa

Default RE: more CAD help

free I presume?
Old 09-20-2006, 11:42 AM
simark
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try here:
http://www.freecadapps.com/

Good luck. If you still have problems, send me the file, I'll resize it and send it back to you.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:39 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

edrawing 2007 is just a viewer. Not a true cad program. CADstd is a CAD program and will let you scale items. Rescaling a plan is just part of the job of making a plane structurally sound.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:30 PM
sharpshooter223

great, so would you like to instruct me on how to resize the plans in CADstd because i cant figure out how
Old 09-20-2006, 10:31 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

I just looked on the products web site to see what commands it has. I would expect the help file to have sufficent instructions on using the commands.

In Acad I select the Scale command then the items I need to scale. I can either use a reference item in the drawing to scale them to or use a scaling factor on the command line or create a reference marker prior to scaling. Lets say I have a plane with a 47" wing span and want it to be 54". I can calculate a scaling factor dividing the 54 by the 47 = 1.149 ( or draw a line off of one wing tip and off setting that line 54" then use that line to scale the wings up to (using a drawing based reference item). I can also rescale the wing in both the x and y axis by making a block out of it, rescaling the block then exploding the block.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:05 AM
dolanosa

sharpshooter,

You can use SoCal Gliderguider's commands with IntelliCAD. Once you load the picture and you want to scale the whole thing to 150%, just type scale. When it asks you to select the objects, type or select All then press enter twice since it thinks you may want to add more objects. Then it's going to ask you for a base point, type in 0,0 and press enter. Now type in the scaling factor. Type 1.5 since you are multiplying the part by that much. At this point, the drawing might disappear. Just type Z (enter) then E (enter) and you will see your drawing.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:52 PM
sharpshooter223

are there any FREE programs that will convert something made in CADstd being called a .cad file to a .dxf file
Old 09-21-2006, 06:02 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

Your chosen program will export as a DXF. Most CAD programs free to totally expensive have export commands and will make the DXF as it is an industry "standard".
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18656.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	528025  
Old 09-21-2006, 09:56 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

You guys might be walking into a trap on the Educational softwares and the Free ones.

I have to take refresher classes at local school. They get the flyers for discount Acad also. The vendors aren't stupid, but the version being sold has a time limit implanted. According to the License agreement, it is good for three years only, one loading too. Or good for two years past the introduction of some new version. As the school buys a few new educational versions each year, they do not know what happens when the expiration date occurs. I don't know if you loaded the educational software on to several new hard drives at one time if you then could get extended use or not.

The other situation being, and this was brought out about two years ago. Is that one of the CAD software companies has an Anti-competition bug implanted in to their version. If you install their software on to your hard drive it will over write and otherwise make useless any other brand of CAD software on that hard drive. You work with them or no one. Then, to make matters worse, if you do not decide to send in the card for a registered version, within a couple years, they will overwrite any attempt to load on a CAD software other than their brand.

As the fellow pointed out, if you have Brand Y on the hard drive now, installed via freeware or bought and wish to install Brand X, this creates a poblem. For Brand X will over write and make useless anything to do with Brand Y. Then in a year or so, if you purchase or otherwise obtain Brand Z CAD software, it will stop the installation. It will let you know that per the license agreement, you cannot...... Somewhere along the line it also ships you a pop-up beginning at about one year from installation saying you've had it long enough, they presume you then like it, now cough up for a registered copy. You only have 300 more days of use before it goes dead. This begins and does not stop for next year or so. Oh, and you cannot simply do a Uninstall, for the bug was planted and takes hold and alters the Boot sector on your hard drive such that it will not stop until you reformat the drive. Even if you remove the CAD software with the Uninstall, it will remind you of how good it was and that you need to send in $$$$. The makers of TurboTax were doing this and each tax season the reminder would come up iff'n you wanted their software of not. I think other software firms then took hold of this idea.

Wm.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:29 PM
sharpshooter223

ORIGINAL: SoCal GliderGuider

Your chosen program will export as a DXF. Most CAD programs free to totally expensive have export commands and will make the DXF as it is an industry "standard".
i dont have cadstd pro, i have the free version, and it only lets you draw in one format and it wont let you convert. and it wont let you export those drawings or print them to size either, i know what i am talking about here, and the way you are talking i think i know more than you, so get it out of your head socal that you know everything about every cad, and in your previous posts you are telling me how to find what to scale by, i know how to scale, i just need to find where to go in my software.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:34 PM
sharpshooter223

edrawing 2007 is just a viewer. Not a true cad program. CADstd is a CAD program and will let you scale items. Rescaling a plan is just part of the job of making a plane structurally sound.
you are just stating the obvious here, now will you excuse me while i read replies that acctually tell me something.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:36 PM
sharpshooter223

ORIGINAL: CoosBayLumber

You guys might be walking into a trap on the Educational softwares and the Free ones.

I have to take refresher classes at local school. They get the flyers for discount Acad also. The vendors aren't stupid, but the version being sold has a time limit implanted. According to the License agreement, it is good for three years only, one loading too. Or good for two years past the introduction of some new version. As the school buys a few new educational versions each year, they do not know what happens when the expiration date occurs. I don't know if you loaded the educational software on to several new hard drives at one time if you then could get extended use or not.

The other situation being, and this was brought out about two years ago. Is that one of the CAD software companies has an Anti-competition bug implanted in to their version. If you install their software on to your hard drive it will over write and otherwise make useless any other brand of CAD software on that hard drive. You work with them or no one. Then, to make matters worse, if you do not decide to send in the card for a registered version, within a couple years, they will overwrite any attempt to load on a CAD software other than their brand.

As the fellow pointed out, if you have Brand Y on the hard drive now, installed via freeware or bought and wish to install Brand X, this creates a poblem. For Brand X will over write and make useless anything to do with Brand Y. Then in a year or so, if you purchase or otherwise obtain Brand Z CAD software, it will stop the installation. It will let you know that per the license agreement, you cannot...... Somewhere along the line it also ships you a pop-up beginning at about one year from installation saying you've had it long enough, they presume you then like it, now cough up for a registered copy. You only have 300 more days of use before it goes dead. This begins and does not stop for next year or so. Oh, and you cannot simply do a Uninstall, for the bug was planted and takes hold and alters the Boot sector on your hard drive such that it will not stop until you reformat the drive. Even if you remove the CAD software with the Uninstall, it will remind you of how good it was and that you need to send in $$$$. The makers of TurboTax were doing this and each tax season the reminder would come up iff'n you wanted their software of not. I think other software firms then took hold of this idea.

Wm.
thanks for the head-up, do you know any specific programs that do this.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:01 AM
SoCal GliderGuider

ORIGINAL: sharpshooter243

you are just stating the obvious here, now will you excuse me while i read replies that acctually tell me something.
You do have a lack of active nurons don't you.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:04 AM
SoCal GliderGuider

i dont have cadstd pro, i have the free version, and it only lets you draw in one format and it wont let you convert. and it wont let you export those drawings or print them to size either, i know what i am talking about here, and the way you are talking i think i know more than you, so get it out of your head socal that you know everything about every cad, and in your previous posts you are telling me how to find what to scale by, i know how to scale, i just need to find where to go in my software.
Hmm. I just opened your free CADstd, then opened a DXF, then saved the DXF as another file name. I then opened the original DXF and the freshly exported DXF in the same instance of Acad 2002. Both are identical.

EDITED
Old 09-22-2006, 08:58 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Back nearly ten years ago, I began loading up the beta version of Intellicad. It came up alright, had numerous glitches in it, to which was a fix download seemingly posted every week, until Visio came out with production disk, and then too there were five major fixes issued. My Autocad did not work after the beta was installed. They corrected this complaint too.

But I did some inquiery via the Los Angeles radio station call-in one Sunday afternoon. Seems I was not alone in this. For it was happening with other softwares. The software writers were borrowing certain aspects already loaded upon your hard drive, moving those sections into a new directory. Then the old software would not run due to missing elements. I used to fix this by simply re-loading the old software again, and I was going once again.

But this created a storm of call-in complaints, and folks mentioned many, many software vedors were doing the very same thing, but not in CAD. I later on made mention of this at RCU and at another internet forum. Several folks came back with a STAY AWAY from the demo version of _____ for it overwrites your files. I had the downloads on my hard drive, but never activated them. There was a fleet of folks posting on how to figure out a way to get back to where they once were. As I remember, most of the complaints that day pretained to TurboTAX as it was only $19.99 per box at the computer store from December through April.

About same time was some fellow trying to sell everyone on Free CAD, which you tuned in to some internet site, did your calculations there, and I think pushed some button to get a full sized plot. Which in turn was mailed to you next day. I got a new computer about time this was going on and lost the references to these places. But am sure they still exist. I had brought this up at the CADALOG site two years ago (before IMSI took it over) and it got bleeped off within five postings that same evening, for "Not of CAD nature". My guess is they all want to keep these things secret.

Wm.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:47 PM
dmcmike
My Feedback: (14)

FYI... if you can get a copy of AutoCAD somewhere, If I remember correctly, it will run (for a while) without the unlocking key, usually something like 30 days, then won't work anymore. There is an educational version that you can plot with, but it won't save anything, and it's a lot cheaper! Although, all of this may have changed with Autocad 2007.... Might try digging for an older verision of the software.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:04 PM
sharpshooter223

Hmm. I just opened your free CADstd, then opened a DXF, then saved the DXF as another file name. I then opened the original DXF and the freshly exported DXF in the same instance of Acad 2002. Both are identical.

You definately have a lack of active nurons!

PLONK!

you are the one mispelling neurons idiot, you might as well be calling them nipples
Old 09-22-2006, 02:34 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

The issue here is not one's spelling (of which yours is just as atrocious) but your immaturity. Or possibly your dyslexia in not being able to read the help file or even the header on the export window of the cad program you asked about.

I strongly suggest that you buy that rifle and go hunting rather than continue to annoy us here.

PLONK!
Old 09-23-2006, 11:30 AM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sharpshooter is a high school student that has no respect for anyone but himself,the best thing to do is just iqnore his post and do not respond.he offers nothing to anyone that tries to help but grief.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:05 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

You'll note that some posts have been removed. Please do not resort to name calling or making derisive comments on neuron counts.

Sharpshooter, you may want to get down off your high horse and learn a bit of humility and appreciation for those that try to answer your questions. You download and open up a couple of freebie programs and then start saying that you know more about CAD than someone that's been working with it for longer than you've been in school?