Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

TurboCAD Newbe

Old 10-03-2006, 02:56 AM
rahtware

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TurboCAD Newbe

Hey all

After reading through the stickys and a few of the threads I have come to the conclusion that if a guy wants a job working with CAD he needs to learn AutoCAD.... But, that equals either big bucks out of the hobby fund, or stealing a copy of AC. As I wasn't up to either I decided to try out different free programs. That lead to a dead end for me. I just couldn't seem to get pass the basics to where I could actually draw anything.

Following the advice of BMATTHEWS and others I decided to spend a little on an older copy of TurboCAD (v10.2) that came with a printed Reference Manual and 2D + 3D Training Guides. I read a little in the RM, but decided to work through the guides and use the RM for... reference. I am already into section five of the 2D guide and have learned alot. Please understand that this is coming from a 59 year old who has a real tough time learning anything from books (alone).

So far I am quite pleased with my progress and suggest that any one else out there that has an interest in learning CAD, save yourself a lot of wasted time and follow the advice found in the stickys in this forum.... Want a job (or have a few extra hundred laying around) learn AutoCAD... If you want a good CAD program that most of us can afford, TurboCAD seems to be the one with the most helps available.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:41 PM
Ron S
My Feedback: (2)

Received 115 Likes on 75 Posts
Default RE: TurboCAD Newbe

Turbocad has been a great tool for me for years. I can't say I'm an expert with it in 3D, but I do alot of 2D work with it, and it's been working fine for me. You don't need a super fast latest computer also if it's kept relatively simple (ie, 2D). Plus, the cost is reasonable. I'll work out some details, make some parts, design some more in Tcad, etc and soon your making progress. I use 3D extensively at work with other systems - learning details for a third system is too much for me!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv65872.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	535487  
Old 10-04-2006, 10:09 PM
canadagoose
My Feedback: (2)

Looks great Ron S!

TurboCad has been great for me as well over last 5 years since i started learning to use it. I think TCAD has the ease of use to really let newbies take off with CAD. It definitely did it for me. Here's my current project being built from plans i drew on TurboCad 9 Profrssional which i bought off Ebay for $60.00 (a legimate registerable copy). I do use Autodesks great DWF printing software to save my work as a DWF file within TCAD for sending to the printer to have plans printed. TCAD can save a file as a DWG file you can send to the laser cutters which AutoCad can open.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36461.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	535509   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68179.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	535510   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd83775.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	535511  
Old 10-06-2006, 08:08 AM
rahtware

Thanks guys, great looking planes.

I just discovered Bezier curves... WOW!!! This is one of the tools I have been looking for. Like having a pocket full of French curves!

(I told you I was a newbie)