Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

CAD questions?

Old 01-17-2003, 11:44 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAD questions?

I have browsed for a CAD program to open and create .dxf files. What should I be looking for? Where should I look?

I have downloaded some plans and cannot view them. I'd also like to be able to make drawings to send to a kit cutter. What do you use for this?
Old 01-18-2003, 12:43 AM

Default CAD questions?

AutoCad will do .DXF files among many others.
You might try searching the web for CAD programs and look at the file types they support.
I don't know but, would think that Modelcad uses .dxf.

Regards,
Bill
Old 01-18-2003, 01:16 AM

Default CAD questions?

Where can I get auto cad?
Old 01-18-2003, 02:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default $$$$$$$

Bucket....

You can visit www.autodesk.com and get ahold of your nearest retailer, but to purchase a new copy will set you back more than you paid for your computer.

If you only want to work 2D, go with something simple. I don't like ModelCAD as there are too many limitations in it's use. From the same company, they have DesignCAD and it is much better for about $10 more.

I have used TurboCAD and KeyCAD, they work, but are not compatible with mainline components like tablets or plotters which are made by some company other than H-P. This limits your choices again. I have several Calcomp items, and they are so much faster and sturdier than H-P, I don't know why people bother looking around.

I thus am hooked up to Autocad and it allows use of numerous third party components, and they have numerous user groups.

Wm.
Old 01-18-2003, 02:14 AM

Default CAD questions?

AutoCad, like Microstation is a high end, high dollar cad program. The most common method of obtaining a copy of AutoCad is copying it from someone (illegal). The current version of AutoCad is going for around $4000.00 I believe. Microstation is about the same, I use Microstation at home because I use it at work and they allow home use for a registered user.

A .DXF file is a common file format to transfer cad files between different cad programs. It in itself cannot be viewed by any cad program. All cad programs convert it to their format then display it. AutoCad files are .dwg, Microstation files are .dgn. The conversion from a .dxf to a .dwg, or .dgn, are any other format often times is not 100%.

Vince
Old 01-18-2003, 04:27 AM

Default Cad Program....

I utilize TurboCad and highly suggest it.
I was originally trained with velum and graphite, and only tried CAD in the last 3 yrs. TurboCad was relatively easy to learn on and work with.

I have had the difficulty with compatibility between my drawings and plotters, but by working with Kinkos or another local printer, I was easily able to work through the problem.
While I have not attempted to send my plans to a laser cutter, I do not believe it would cause issues.

I do have access to AutoCad at work, and from my limited experience with it, it seems like a much higher quality, more capable program. On the other hand, it also seems less intuitive to use when compared to TurboCad.

When it all comes down to it, I think program choice is a matter of personal preference and budget with your intent thrown somewhere in the middle....

Pick one and learn it through and through.

One other tip, when you begin, take a plan that you have drawn on paper or one from a kit and duplicate it on the computer. I did this when I first started out, and it helped immensely.
Old 01-18-2003, 05:22 AM

Default Options

I use "Carrera Studio 2", available for both Mac and PC, for around $400. It reads and writes it's own native format, as well as .dxf, .3ds, .obj, and .3dmf ( http://www.eovia.com )

I've attached an image showing the nice rendering possibilities.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	48111_2519.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	29732  
Old 01-18-2003, 05:55 AM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default CAD questions?

Another TurboCAD happy user here. $80 for version 8 standard and the standard version will do everything you want and then some. Mere mortals don't need the expensive Pro version.

And you can download a slightly crippled learning version that can still open dxf files.

http://www.al-ki.com/tcad/download.php#TurboCADLE Near the bottom of the page.
Old 01-18-2003, 10:57 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default cad

I use Corel Draw 11 runs around $700 but will do everything autocad will and it will save to dxf, dwg, adobe illustrator, tiff and abt 40 other formats. it is very simple to use and I was able to understand it easier than turbocad and some of the others which i attribute to all the websites etc out there with tutorials and other stuff for it.

Joe
Old 01-18-2003, 12:57 PM

Default CAD questions?

Thanks for the input fellas. I don't think I can justify spending too much for a program. I'm not agaist using pencil and paper and cutting out by hand. Just seemed a little simpler to try to come up with something like this.
Old 01-18-2003, 02:32 PM

Default CAD questions?

I use and Love Deltacad ( www.deltacad.com ) they have a 30 day demo , and it is 39.95 for the current version ( version 5 ) I got it new for $9.99 on eBay ( verssion 3 ) But mostly use it to print DXF files.
Old 01-18-2003, 04:06 PM

Default CAD questions?

I found this on the Internet. Its the same program that I downloaded from TurboCAD a few years ago. Download the tc2D_lt.exe file. It's an old version and was free back then too.

http://www.stansell.org/~todd/programs/

Jaymom
Old 01-20-2003, 09:30 PM

Default CAD questions?

Have you tried the free autocad view - Volo View Express ?

This viewer is available from autodesk web site. http://autodesk.com

Opens all major file types and allows for printing. Give it a try.

Karl
Old 01-21-2003, 11:57 PM

Default CAD questions?

Originally posted by BUCKETOBOLTS
Thanks for the input fellas. I don't think I can justify spending too much for a program. I'm not agaist using pencil and paper and cutting out by hand. Just seemed a little simpler to try to come up with something like this.
I can't think of anything less expensive than free!
I learned on Autocad 20 years ago, but use TurboCad now. It took in the Autocad DXF files without a whimper.
And it's free, online. (when I downloaded it)
$$$ in the store.
It's not 3D, but you really don't need 3D.
Old 01-22-2003, 12:03 AM

Default Free Online

Yea the thing abt turbocad being free online and not in stores can be said the same of any software. You can get autocad, corel draw or anything free online if you look for it but yes turbocad was given Legally on line for a while as well as Deltacad was.

Joe
Old 01-22-2003, 11:24 PM

Default CAD questions?

And if you don't have a CAD program but have Wordperfect - try it. It will open DXF files and display them !

I'm not sure if MS Word can do the same thing(?)
Old 01-23-2003, 10:31 AM

Default CAD questions?

what about Autocad LT, fine for all 2D Cad and substantially cheaper than full blown Autocad. At my place of work the majority of the office uses LT for mainstream drafting, i have the full Autocad for 3d stuff....but thats one of the few benefits.

SimJen
Old 01-23-2003, 02:28 PM
My Feedback: (14)

Default CAD questions?

what about Autocad LT, fine for all 2D Cad and substantially cheaper than full blown Autocad. At my place of work the majority of the office uses LT for mainstream drafting, i have the full Autocad for 3d stuff....but thats one of the few benefits
I was going to suggest Autocad LT, great program if you don't need lisp. That and 3D are the only differences i've seen with LT. I'm not a big fan of it, as I've used AutoCAD as an engineer for the past 20 some years, but i've used LT, and it does work well.
... and the price is a bit more tolerable that ACAD2000
Old 01-28-2003, 01:35 AM
My Feedback: (5)

Default CAD questions?

How do you make wing ribs on TurboCad? Been trying to and it won't do anything like it??????
Old 01-28-2003, 04:31 AM

Default To SCOLE

scole:

Creating a drawing file of a complicated shape such as a rib can be done a number of ways. I am assuming that you are attempting to copy a set of ribs shown on a plan, and not create or design up a whole new set.

The most often used ways for copying these shapes are:

1, Scan the part (rib) from the plan and use the graphics function of your software, like MS Paint, to trace the lines. And then you export the file (rib linework) and import into your drawing directory system. You will then need to further smooth up the outline with appropriate curves and lines.

2, Scan the part and run raster-to-vector program software, and then export and import it into your system for re-editing.

3, Tape down the plan and digitize the lines or the nodes. Then recreate the curves and lines in your CAD system.

4, Use one of the popular computerized airfoil softwares, export the results and import into your CAD directory.

I have already done a few thousand ribs from plans, and each of the above systems have been used. It really depends on how much time you have and how well you can manipulate the functions of the software. In each instance, you have to analyse the situation to see which is faster under the circumstances.

I use #4 seldom, as it can take hours to determine which airfoil number best represents the lines on the plan. Seldom do the designers tell you which airfoil is on the plan. For the better part, I use it only on new designed model A/C, as to use it for copy of pre-designed A/C becomes a process of trial and error to find the number. This system generally has the least amount of post-creation manipulation.

#1 is used only if the rib is simple looking, as you need a very steady hand to trace lines using a mouse. I have used the basic output in combination with #3 in several instances.

#2, is used if the ribs are shown in accurate detail, such that upon importing into CAD the nodes can be specifically picked out and then offsetting for skin thickness. You cannot go direct to plan nor part as the output is a bit crude and needs further editing. The output can often not be of exact scale, and thus you need to reproportion it.

#3 is about the fastest for getting going, for it is used entirely within your CAD system drawing editor and you do not have to import/export anything. The system is not exact, and you have to know how to pick nodes. You can digitize maybe six different ribs, and get going with your system drawing editor in less than five minutes. As most ribs are not drawn all that accurately on model A/C plans, you can begin cussing out the original draftsman sooner. The tablet replaces the functions of your mouse while in CAD. It is a piece of computer equipment not often sold in stores, but there are plenty around and simple to install. Calcomp by far makes the majority of them in sizes of 6" to 60".

Wm.
Old 01-28-2003, 06:58 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Default CAD questions?

THanks a lot CoosBayLumber i will try one if not all of these tonight.
SCole
Old 01-28-2003, 07:03 PM

Default Help Needed

I am having prob reinstalling my acad it says cant read some file from the cd I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to make me a couple PLT Files from my DXF. If you can pls contact me offline at [email protected] they are for my 1/3.5 scale hurricane project as my printing company doesnt use corel anymore so cant convert for me for printing.

Thanks
Joe
Old 01-28-2003, 07:19 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Default CAD questions?

Let me know what you need, i have acad up and running, and will try to help you out.
Old 01-28-2003, 07:23 PM

Default thanks

Thanks Gerald am organizing the sheets right now and will have everything ready. basically from what I understand they need them as plot (plt) files I will have them as dxf files. I tried to export to tiff from corel but something with corel 11 not allowing me to.

Joe
Old 01-28-2003, 07:31 PM

Default files

Sorry Guys I shouldnt have opened my mouth without looking harder first. seems corel 11 can savew to plot format and it didnt even lock up my system this time.

Sorry but thanks gerald for the offer it is nice to know we all can ask for help and help each other out

Joe

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.