Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
First Build from plans..... Were to begin? >

First Build from plans..... Were to begin?

Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

First Build from plans..... Were to begin?

Old 01-29-2003, 05:01 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Build from plans..... Were to begin?

I have Chuck Cunningham's 84" Lazy ace plans on order, should be here in a week or so. ( I'm not really an aerobatics enthusiast, I just like to do a loop every now and again..... crashing costs too much)

Do you have suggestions on where I should start? Where to get Balsa and Ply, what to make templates for ribs from? I've read a lot about cutting rib templates and sandwiching the balsa between the templates and sanding, that all makes sense. Is it worth the money to have them lazer or C&C cut, if so where would you suggest?

If you've built this plane, do you have any suggestions for weight saving modifications? According to chuck, a U.S. engines 35cc will be enough engine ...... I hope it is, it's all I've got. I don't need unlimited vertical, but will this engine at least fly it?

Sorry about all the questions, I've built several bipes from kits, but this big bird has me pretty excited.

Thanks
Bob
Old 01-29-2003, 06:13 PM

- Take a deep breath....

- Source out the materials (I'm not in your area or I'd suggest some I use)

- Make a "kit" of parts before beginning.

Templates are useful where you're going to make several one pice (eg. repeating rib).

I trust you have a bandsaw?

Make a copy of the plans and transfer to material by placing the plan over the material and ironing the shape on (most photocopies transfer well).

Most importantly take your time and enjoy. Build a website to document your progress and email me the link.

Here's my last project: http://jim_mcintyre.tripod.com/dr1.html

This one wasn't from scratch but, might as well have been considering the modifications I did.

Enjoy!
Old 01-29-2003, 08:38 PM

For a discussion of how to build from plans go to www.krc.org and then click on Information and Building From Plans.

Dave Segal
Old 01-30-2003, 03:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I built this plane 3 years ago and it was a very good flier. I powered mine with a G62 and it came out weighing 23 lbs. A friend has it now and has a ST4500 on it which flies it OK, but not as well as the G62. You will most likely be disappointed in the performance with the U.S 35. It will fly it, but not much else. The only major modification I made was, instead of using the wire landing gear, I ordered a custom built aluminum one from TNT. Let me know if you have more questions..........RS
Old 01-30-2003, 04:58 AM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

That's a super good looking model. You're in for a fine adventure.

For myself I go against the "kit the whole thing first" theory. I just find I get too darn bored cutting and not glueing. Besides I justify it as a good way to avoid loosing the parts for the final phase...

Ribs.... 1/8 ply for the templates on this size model is fine. Cut out two by sticking two layers of ply together with rubber cement or itsy bitsy tiny dabs of CA so they can come apart easily.

For the ribs thenselves there's two options in my bag of tricks. Cut them out using one of the templates first and then stack them between the templates for finish sanding to match up and smooth out any minor irregularities. Or you can cut the balsa to slightly deeper and longer rectangles and stack the whole lot between the templates and carve away everything that doesn't look like ribs. The first method takes a bit longer but you use about 50% less wood. The other ensures you have all the ribs in about 2 hours versus a whole evening's work. Your choice....

And this is a large model with big ribs and lots of them. Use big bolts. 1/4 inch bolts and hardware wouldn't be out of place at all and would help support the block of ribs while you're shaping them.

In any event only cut the spar slots out while the block(s) are in one piece. Cut slightly undersize and use a stick with sandpaper on one edge only as a file to bring the slot out to size or use a coarse 6 to8 inch flat file with one edge safety ground smooth (my choice) to finish the slots. Work carefully and slowly to get a nice push in fit for the spars.

And nothing is perfect so be sure to number the ribs as they come off the stack and use this order along the wings. This ensures that any minor differences from one side to the other will be smoothly graduated along the whole span so the spars sheeting and edges will have all the mating rib surfaces in a straight line. Makes for an easier to assemble wing that is totally smooth afterwards.

And presand any sheeting before applying. Sanding after will allow the sheeting to dip between the ribs and pop back up after. You can sand it using the paper in your fingers to avoid this but then doing it that way can lead to other dips and hollows. Best to sand the sheeting on a flat surface using a proper block.

That should help get you started. Hope it helps.
Old 01-30-2003, 01:25 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks guys.

I really like the idea of "kitting while I go"

I am getting a little nervous about the G-62 vs my U.S. 35..... Like I said, I don't do much more than a loop or a roll, I just like flybys and such.

Does anyone have any experience with using the engine the designer calls for.....2.0? ( mine would technically be 2.1, not that it makes any difference)

I'd hate to even start building it if the engine isn't going to work. Should I just look for a new set of plans........ ( I already have to sell some of my other airplane stuff to pay for the servos, balsa, and covering....... I'd have to start selling my children to afford a bigger engine )

Thanks again for the input so far.

Bob