Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

whats the best way to attatch wings?

Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

whats the best way to attatch wings?

Old 01-31-2003, 12:11 PM
peppster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats the best way to attatch wings?

Hi guys, This is my first scratch built plane(73" span), and the wings detatch seperately from the fuselage. but the plans only show how to install the 1" aluminum tube, through the fuse, and into the wings. they talk about using j-hooks, but they dont show me how, or where. Can you please tell me what the best way is to hold the wings and fuse together. thanks in advance....Joey...
Old 02-01-2003, 01:44 AM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default whats the best way to attatch wings?

They should have also cut slots in the sides of the fuselage at the base of the wings. Install J-hooks into the root rib so that they stick through the slot into the fuselage. Then stretch a rubberband or spring between the J-hooks so that the wing can't slide off the tube in flight. There's probably also a pin near the trailing edge to provide alighnment for the wing panels.
Old 02-03-2003, 10:10 PM
Dennis DiBona

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HARD WOOD BLOCKS

This almost sounds like the wing attachment system that is used on the SIG Sumthin Xtra. Make sure you use hardwood blocks behind the root ribs and epoxy them in. DO NOT use Rubber band to hold the J hooks together.
THIS is a goofy ( Sorry is only word I could think of ) :spinnyeye way to hold your wings on. We use Electrical wire ties to hold them on and we are talking about the short wings of the Sumpthin Xtra, I do not know how big your wings are. Remember this,, if your wings pull apart you start to have really big ailerons LOLOL :drowning:
The DIBO