Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

How to 'slice' a DXF file?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 11:13 PM
tasesq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to 'slice' a DXF file?

Hi all,

Firstly - I have NO EXPERIENCE whatsoever with CAD programs.

I do however, have a DXF file of an aircraft.

What I was wondering, is there an easy way to take slices out of the aeroplane in the file - for instance slices along the length of the fuse to get fuse formers, and slices along the span of the wing to get ribs?
Old 02-12-2007, 11:43 PM
fritzke
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: How to 'slice' a DXF file?

NO if it's a 2D drawing (likely).
If it's 3d (unlikely), it's possible in theory, but if you don't know CAD, it's a long way to go
for what you need. Especially if you don't have a 3d CAD program. TurboCAD may be your bet bet there.
dave
Old 02-13-2007, 12:05 AM
omcusnr

No. The dxf file you have is not a drawing, its a text file that a cad program uses to create a drawing. You will need to import the dxf into a cad program and see what is looks like. If its a good plan, it'll have the formers drawn - those will be your "slices".
Old 02-13-2007, 08:21 AM
ppljr
My Feedback: (94)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a 3d file I suggest you download the Rhino3D trial. It will open up a 3d file and will "slice" contours. The trial version will only let you save a dozen or so times. BTW the program is excellent. If you have "kids" you can buy the educational version at a considerable discount. (Just like the full blown one, just not for commercial use.) Here is the link:

http://www.rhino3d.com/
Old 02-13-2007, 04:12 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I think you guys are complicating this a lot for him.

tasesq, let's see if I understand what you want to do.... You've got a plan and you want to separate the parts of it so you can print them on regular sized printer paper?

If you say yes to this then it's not that hard. You'll have to have a CAD program and you'll need to learn a couple of very basic things to do this. The most basic and free one that allows you to print will be fine.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:59 PM
Tall Paul

A .dxf file is a looooooooooooooong text file, with the drawing commands intermixed with the points that locate the lines.
To pull out a piece of the file, which is quite possible, I've done it, you'd need to have a printout of the entire file, and go thru that line by line noting which are drawing commands and which are point locators, and what object they relate to.
It's way easier importing the .dxf file into your CAD program and saving the parts you want in your program format..
this is an excerpt from a .dxf file which prints a simple airfoil.
Note how far down you have to go thru the commands to get to the first point, where LTYPE is specified..
I'd hate to have to go thru a much longer than that for cross-sections..
And the file won't run without all the command overhead stuff..
Attached Files
File Type: txt
Db84881.txt (3.2 KB, 23 views)
Old 02-13-2007, 11:56 PM
tasesq

Thanks for all the replies:

I have a DXF file of a 3D aircraft.

I have downloaded a program called InstaCAD but cannot figure out how to 'slice' it in order to create formers and ribs.

There are about 20 objects in the file - however, the main part of the fuse and wing (called bodywing) in the file is one object. I have tried to slice it using this program but have NOOOOOO success!

If someone can tell me how to upload the DXF i will do so. Attached is a screen shot.

ppljr - thanks - i will download Rhino and try.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78095.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	621263  
Old 02-14-2007, 02:00 AM
tasesq

Hi All,

I have downloaded Rhino, and can manage to select the body/wing object and print it.

I still can't figure out how to make a slice. I can add a cuting plane, but can't figure out how to slice along that plane

Help! (Please)
Old 02-14-2007, 08:02 AM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

In most solid modeling programs, the section views are created in the drawing format. Your cad program would have to be capable of producing a 3 view drawing, and be able to create section views along either the top or side views of the model. In solidworks drawing, a section view is created by intersecting the model with a vertical line (if i'm using a side profile) Solidworks has a command to create the section view by "transform line into section view". Your airplane model seems to be made of mesh surfaces and not a solid model.

Try this cad program www.alibre.com/express . It is quite the capable solid program. You might be able to import your model and try it with this program.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:52 AM
SoCal GliderGuider

ORIGINAL: tasesq

Hi All,

I have downloaded Rhino, and can manage to select the body/wing object and print it.

I still can't figure out how to make a slice. I can add a cuting plane, but can't figure out how to slice along that plane

Help! (Please)

Zip the file then change the extension to one that the file upload will take. Remind us in the posting to change the file extension back to Zip.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:14 AM
ppljr
My Feedback: (94)

In Rhino:

Go to:

CURVE

CURVE from objects

CONTOUR

Select the interval
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk28078.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	622189  
Old 02-15-2007, 07:13 PM
tasesq

Thankyou!!!

It works perfectly. Looks like i know how my weekend will be spent now!

By carefully slicing and selecting the slices, i can drag them out and print them to get fuse formers and ribs.

Thanks!