Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Jensen Ugly Stick Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 04:05 PM
flying pastor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Jensen Ugly Stick Build

Shear webbing should be a nice snug fit between the ribs. The webs should be made of good firm wood. The grain should be Vertical. They add a great amount of strength to any wing. Incidentally I built mine with no dihedral. Good luck with your build.
All the best...Chris UK.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:34 PM
CptDan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally after months of tinkering and getting it ready and the weather was just perfect I got to fly my Lazerworks Stik, I had one of my friends Roger Grotheer a master pilot take it up and he really put the thing through a bunch of maneuvers. He put on quite a show and then it was my turn. Well I flew a couple of my electrics to get my thumbs loosened up and then it was my moment. Started it and sent it down the runway and it wasn't warmed up enough taxied it back and held with my legs ran it up a few times and let it go. It took to the air and it is the biggest thing I've had control of except my brothers full scale plane. It felt great and looked great. On the second circuit I gave it full throttle and it didn't respond, yikes one of the other guys came over and bumped the trim up and down but no change. The throttle linkage had apparently come apart at about 1/2 throttle. Well I just kept doing circuits around the field till it ran out of fuel. With 13 Oz of fuel it felt like a long time then the engine told me there was no more in the tank. Dead sticked it in with a perfect landing and let it roll up to me. The Nylon throttle clevis split on the threaded end.... All is good and fixed can't wait till next weekend. Now that one is done I get to start on my 4* 40 kit.... I'll put up pix tomorrow it came out looking very nice.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	tr50876.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	1398325   Click image for larger version

Name:	wu61379.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	1398326   Click image for larger version

Name:	xv63871.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	1398327  
Old 03-16-2010, 05:21 AM
pigfarmer

I understand that there are plans or a kit available for a twin ugly stick. If anyone knows where I can find them I would appreciate getting that information. Thank you.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:09 AM
Redwulf__34

Nice Cptn Dan!
Old 10-26-2011, 03:54 PM
Tango Juliet

I know this thread is pretty old, but it still is a valuable source for scrath building this classic airplane. Has anyone built or heard of rounding the fuselage on this bird?

I recently ordered the RCM plans and will scratch build mine, but was giving some thought to giving the fuse a more rounded shape (or rounding out the corners at least) and giving it a 'Good Guys' color scheme.

Also, is the consensus now to fly this with a .61 or .75 2 stroke, rather than a .40 size?
Old 10-26-2011, 05:32 PM
Redwulf__34

Hi Tango,
Mine came out on the heavy side because of the covering and painting. I couldn't fly mine with a .40. Maybe if you built it really really really light, you could get by with a .40. I would go with a .60 either way. You'll be much happier!

Keep us posted with pics and stuff. Would love to see it come together!

Sean
Old 10-26-2011, 06:59 PM
Mustang Fever
My Feedback: (2)

The OS 55AX is perfect for airplanes in this size and weight range. It will turn a 12x6 MAS 3 blade just shy of 10,000 rpm. This works out to about 56mph and 8 pounds of thrust. Perfect for the Stik. (I have two of them on an 18 pound B-25 turning the same props, and it's peppy.)

The 55 is very light, fits the same mount pattern as the 46, and using that prop will run a very long time on 11 oz of fuel.

Hi, Sean!!
Old 10-27-2011, 02:56 AM
Tango Juliet

I've got two OS 55's, but was contemplating either the OS 65, or an equivilant, but cheaper brand.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:39 PM
Tango Juliet

I was hoping to have my plans by now. I ordered them on the 24th, so it's been almost two weeks and they haven't even shipped yet! I work a week on, week off schedule, out of town when I'm on. So it could be almost two more weeks before I can start building [:@]. I might also be building two at once. A clubmember sounds interested in one, so I might build one for him as I'm building one for me .
Old 11-04-2011, 04:39 PM
Nergall

Just RTV'd one of these to the bottom of mine!

http://gizmodo.com/5455278/remote-co...s-of-restraint
Old 11-06-2011, 01:01 PM
flying pastor

Tango J, If you want to round the corners of the fuselage I think you will need to put in some triangular strips in the corners. My DUS, which was built from some internet plans, does not have these. I hope your plans come soon to enable you to get building. You will have a choice of trike or taildragger u/c. For simplicity I built mine as a taildragger and it is well behaved on the ground and tracks very well.
I have only flown twice this year but a couple of weeks ago I took out the DUS and immediately felt at home with it. It makes me look like a good pilot! I hope to get more flying in next year. I hope to get some 2.4 radio for Christmas and will use the DUS as a test bed for it. Bearing in mind the original purpose of the DUS I think that Phil Kraft would have approved! An OS 55 would seem to be a good match. I have often thought of building a lighter, lower powered version but haven't got round to it yet. I really enjoyed the building of mine and it flies as well as any modern equivalent that I have had experience of, and better than some!
All the best...Chris U.K.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:06 PM
Tango Juliet

Yes Sir, I intend to add triangle stock to allow me to round the fuselage more, and I'll also be building mine as a taildragger. I was out today flying an Escapade with an OS 55 that I aquired from a co-worker who was getting out of the hobby. I was trying to practice some inverted flying when I got all dis-combobulated and lost control. I managed to cut the throttle before impact but the airplane was totally destroyed. Luckily the engine appears to have survived, though it's going to need a good cleaning (and a new throttle arm). I have another OS 55 on a Fun Fly Wildcat that I was having problems getting it to run right. Then I noticed leakage from the head. Turns out all four head bolts were loose! A buddy of mine said that's the second one he's seen with loose head bolts.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:34 PM
OkieRCGuy
My Feedback: (1)

Hi all!  I guess it's time to jump in on the DUS bandwagon.  I downloaded a set of PDF plans and have studied them in depth.  My main problem is that I don't want a Stik that looks like all the others at the flying field.  I am considering modifying the plans into a trainer version (high wing and dihedral) since I am fairly new to RC.  Since I live here in Oklahoma, I've even considered calling it the "Okie Stik".  I know I'll be referring back to these threads during the build.  I have always loved building and am really looking forward to this project.  I am planning on keeping everything simple and straightforward.  Any advice and tips I can get will be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:33 PM
rrengineer
My Feedback: (3)

The original Ugly Stik has dihedral with it's shoulder wing configuration. Many take the dihedral out and it still flys great. It has wide performance envelope as is. Hard to improve upon, but have at it.
Mike MacLean
Old 11-08-2011, 08:27 PM
Tango Juliet

Hey A6, where'd you find those plans? I ordered plans from RCMplans over two weeks ago and still haven't received them.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:54 PM
EscapeFlyer

ORIGINAL: Tango Juliet

Hey A6, where'd you find those plans? I ordered plans from RCMplans over two weeks ago and still haven't received them.

It is normal to take 4-5 weeks to receive plans from RCM. They are worth the wait.

Brian
Old 11-09-2011, 05:23 AM
Tango Juliet

Thanks Brian. I wasn't expecting it to take that long, I'll try to be patient .
Old 11-09-2011, 06:51 AM
OkieRCGuy

rrengineer, you do have a valid point.  I was just thinking out loud.  Tango Juliet, I just Googled "free ugly stik plans".  I downloaded and printed a set that were already tiled.  After some required trimming and a LOT of scotch tape, voila!  I know that they aren't as good as the RCM plans, but I'm on a very limited income.  I'm planning on ordering a set in the future, but right now, I'm doing what I can .
Old 11-24-2011, 09:44 AM
Tango Juliet

I received an email today (Thanksgiving Day in the U.S.) from Casey at RCMPlans.com explaining that they had a family emergency and got backlogged on shipments. So it has taken longer than normal, but for a very excuseable reason. I have to drive back to work this afternoon, so hopefully when I get home next week I can start altering my plans for the mods I want to make and I hope I've got all the right wood I'll need to get started.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:33 PM
cutaway

Significantly rounding a stik fuse shouldn't be too hard. Build the "box" as usual, then add some crescent shaped formers and stringers to the box sides.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:05 AM
Tango Juliet

You could do it that way, but you'd be adding weight to an already heavy design (by todays standards). Rather, I intend to use 1/8" balsa sides with 1/8" lite ply doublers (with lots of cut away material, much the same as the current ARF's) and 1/4 or 3/8" triangle stock so that I can shave away the corners and still have material underneath. The forward fuse won't get the rounding so much.