Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Jensen Ugly Stick Build

Old 02-26-2007, 08:04 PM
Redwulf__34

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jensen Ugly Stick Build

This is my first build in a lot of years. I pulled out the set of plans from my dad's Jensen Ugly Stick. He built this in the late 60s I'm sure. Last Saturday I woke up to about 4 inches of snow here in Virginia. Good day to start building! So, I'm finally getting started.

I got most of my templates cut. I had the original plans copied and then I went to the local craft store and bought some relatively thick "chipboard". Used rubber cement to glue the fuselage sides ribs, bulkheads etc to the chipboard then cut them out. They may not last an eternity but I can get a few builds from it. Only planning on building one anyway. Who knows, maybe someone will ask me to build them one. I always enjoyed building more than flying. Well, almost more.

I'll probably not move real fast on this but I'll try to keep it updated if anyone finds interest in it.

Sean
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71769.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	630539  
Old 02-26-2007, 09:39 PM
Mustang Fever
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Jensen Ugly Stick Build

Sean:

Just tagging on here so I'll get notified for each post. I like the idea of making templates for everything. I'm too lazy. Stick to only ribs.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:16 AM
Dr1Driver

I'm checking in because I LOVE seeing the old kits being built and flown. The Jensen Stik was a great-flying plane.

Dr.1
Old 02-27-2007, 01:22 PM
speed lover

just going to tag along too as Im new to building and would like to see how its done
Old 03-01-2007, 03:12 AM
buz2au

count me in - I want to build a stick for my next plane
Old 03-01-2007, 04:03 PM
Redwulf__34

Well, not a whole lot done yet! It's hard to find time with a 4 year old and 2 year old, but at least its and easy build! I thought I better post something so you guys know I'm working! I wanted to build the fuselage first but received the wrong plywood for the firewall. So I moved onto cutting out wing ribs. Got all them cut out, now I just need to set up a jig to sand them down. I don't have a band saw or sander so I'll have to rig something up. I have a few good ideas. I'll post some pictures after this weekend and I get a good handle on my jig.

Name:	Rp43082.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	632411   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34748.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	632412  
Old 03-04-2007, 04:45 PM
Redwulf__34

It's good this is a quick build. I could only muster up about 2 hours of shop time this weekend. I didn't have my camera so no pictures today. The fuselage is glued up and drying now.

I'm gonna take an unscientific poll here. I was planning to make it a tricycle gear like that plans show. But the guy at the local hobby shop is trying to talk me into making it a taildragger! Help me out and place a vote because I can't decide!!!! Tail dragger would be nice, but I'm not sure I want to put the thought into figuring it out. Also, the tricycle will obviously steer much better. Decisions decisions!
Old 03-04-2007, 05:38 PM
Mustang Fever

Sean:

Taildragger, for sure. I used a LXD851 Dubro assby from Tower.

Name:	Xu62355.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	634949  
Old 03-04-2007, 07:15 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

My vote is for trike gear. One of the things I always enjoyed about my Jenson Sticks is how you could drag them in super slow, nose high, gently touch down on the mains and then slowly let it rotate down on the nose gear. The ground handling with trike gear is pretty impressive. The original Jenson kits were/are a work of art.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:57 PM
Redwulf__34

Fuselage is together and the bottom glued is now glued on. I forgot to bring my digital camera home so no pics yet. Got to figure out the next step. I guess some sanding and rounding of the bottom sides then I'll glue up the horizontal and vertical stabs. I'll probaby do the wing up and test balance since I'm not sure how it will go. I'm assuming the servos will mount in the rear most postion.

Leaning toward the trike gear. I remember the same landings with my old sweet stick as you described 8178. It was a real sweet thing to land. Still working and thinking on paint scheme as well. I have a good idea. I'm gonna use some type of silk n dope method and actually paint this bird.

Sean
Old 03-06-2007, 08:27 PM

Before I started using MonoKote one of my Sticks was good old silk and dope. It was metallic blue with wide red and white bands on the outer part of the wings and the front of the fuselage. I made the stab removable so I could take it with me on trips. One trip all the way from Seattle to Dayton. The wing, stab, and main gear bolted on with nylon bolts. I flew it so many flights that used up two Webra 61 Blackheads. I still have a set of Jenson plans from one of the kits.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:12 AM
Redwulf__34

Well, we are making some slow progress. Slow only that I just get about an hour a night every other nite! Here are a few pictures of the progress.

Name:	Ki20583.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	637806   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65777.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	637807   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va72152.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	637808  
Old 03-08-2007, 12:22 PM
Mustang Fever

Lookin good, Sean.

One thing to consider. I did it, and I'm convinced that my fuse survived that first crash because of it:

Balsa triangle stock reinforcing on the former bottoms and sides, both sides, or whatever you have room for. I used 1/4 inch most places, but 1/2 inch where I could fit it in.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:19 PM
Redwulf__34

Thanks for the tip Bob, I will do that for sure. I forgot to order some triangle stock but I can probably make some up from some scrap. I failed to think my landing gear through before sheeting the bottom. I'll have to do a little creative work there. But I have an idea or two.

Thanks Bob!

Sean
Old 03-08-2007, 02:07 PM
tommy s
My Feedback: (55)

Sean,
I learned to fly with a Jensen Ugly Stik. I've had three of them over the years and they all flew great.
I think they're the perfect airplane to learn on because after someone learns to fly with it they have
an airplane that can actually do something other than just putt around the sky like most trainers.
I actually competed in a pattern contest with my second one when my pattern ship was down for repairs.

The original Stik used full length spruce spars in the wing without any dihedral brace which if you
use Monokote is not strong enough. The wing was designed to be covered with silk or nylon which
becomes part of the structure and makes the wing strong, so if you choose to use Monokote be sure
to add dihedral braces. ( don't ask me how I know this !! )

Good luck

tommy s
Old 03-08-2007, 02:36 PM
Redwulf__34

Thanks Tommy,
I'm gonna build this one with a flat wing / no dihedral. I am planning on silk n dope or something similar. I don't know what the "in" thing is now adays. I'll have to be figuring that out pretty soon. I learned to fly on a Midwest Sweet Stick with is a smaller verison on the Ugly Stick . I'm hoping the Ugly Stick with the flat wing is as good. I'm hearing from some others that it is. It's been so long since I flew I'm basically a beginner again anyways. I'm curious as to how quickly it will all come back to me.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:21 PM

I would recommend just a tad of dihedral or the wing will look like it has anhedral. 1/2†at each tip would do fine.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:44 AM
Redwulf__34

Going out of town today so I may not get much done this weekend. However, I'm visiting "daddy". That means he has a band saw and a belt sander so I can make up a jig like yours bob for my wing ribs! That will help get the wing done pretty quickly next week.

I now have both horizontal and vertical stabs done up. I haven't hinged the rudder and elevator in yet. I have to remember how to do that! Any hinging tips???

Here is a paint scheme I found that I like a lot. I'm trying to figure out how I can convert this to the ugly stick shape. Been playing with photoshop a little.

Name:	Hf99997.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	638480  
Old 03-09-2007, 01:20 PM
Mustang Fever

Sean:

Except for the times when I use monokote for hinges, I use sig easy hinges (CA type) and a great planes hinge slot cutter.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:05 PM
Redwulf__34

I got my rib "jig" made. I'm glad I did it. It sure is making shaping the ribs much quicker!

I glued up my vertical stab from 1/4" balsa like shown. I had a fear that it might "twist" and it did. It's not terrible. I thought about splicing it together with the grain running in different directions but didn't do that. When it's glued in place is the fuselage top etc. going to hold it straight or should I re-work it?
Old 03-11-2007, 07:31 PM
Mustang Fever

Sean:

I think you should redo it. What did you use for glue?
Old 03-11-2007, 07:49 PM
Redwulf__34

Bob, I used thin CA to glue the two pieces together. I could be wrong but I dont' think it was the glue that caused it to twist. The balsa itself had some twists in it. I'm not impressed with the balsa I got. I may try to snap a few shots of it. They are very very minor. Probably talking much less than 1/16".

Did you glue yours up the way the plans show? Or did you run the grains in different directions to help stiffen it and resist warps and twists? Thanks,

sean
Old 03-11-2007, 09:34 PM
mmattockx

ORIGINAL: Redwulf__34

I got my rib "jig" made. I'm glad I did it. It sure is making shaping the ribs much quicker!

I glued up my vertical stab from 1/4" balsa like shown. I had a fear that it might "twist" and it did. It's not terrible. I thought about splicing it together with the grain running in different directions but didn't do that. When it's glued in place is the fuselage top etc. going to hold it straight or should I re-work it?
This is why I never make stabs or fins from sheet stock any more. I always build up a frame and sheet it with 1/16". They always come out dead straight, lighter than solid and very stiff.

Mark
Old 03-11-2007, 09:40 PM
Mustang Fever

Sean:

My fin and stab were built up from 3/16 sticks, and sheeted with 1/16.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:44 AM
Redwulf__34

I had actually thought about doing it that way. I assumed that since the plans showed the horizontal that way and not the vertical there must be a good reason. I'll probably re-do it. Gonna move onto the wing a bit right now.

Sean

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.