Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Engine mounting

Old 02-16-2002, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine mounting

Okay. this question has probably been hashed out here before, but I'm new enought not to have seen it.

Does it make any difference whether you mount the engine vertically or horizontally? Asthetically, I prefer the horizontal as it puts the silencer under the fuse and it seems like it should balance better than having it way out over the right side of the aircraft. The plans I have show the engine mounted both ways, but no explanation of a preferred method or why.

HELP!

Ed
Old 02-16-2002, 10:32 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine mounting

Doesnt make any difference at all ,and you are right that horizontal normally looks better,especially with four strokes,with their smaller mufflers,that swivel.
We used to balance the model horizontaly to make up for the off centre weight of the engine,but I have never been sure that its worth the effort.
Old 02-17-2002, 12:25 PM
My Feedback: (40)

Default engine mounting

For two-strokes I like to mount the cylinder down between 7 & 8 o'clock, so as to line the muffler up directly under the fuselage. If you then put a silicone rubber exhaust diverter on the muffler outlet and point that straight down you eliminate a lot of residue to be cleaned up at the end of the day. Looks good, balances better aerodynamically, eases clean-up, and gets the needle valve down where you have more leeway in mounting the fuel tank.
Old 02-17-2002, 01:47 PM

Default Engine mounting

I do not know what you are building but you said you were new to it. One of the major reasons for a side mounted engine is to get the engine and fuel tank in line. The centre line of the fuel tank should be in line with the spray bar in any engine mounting position.

Most high wing trainers show an upright engine. This may be easier to construct but is bad for engine/tank position. With the engine up high relative to the tank the engine does not have enough suction to draw fuel when the tank is half empty. The engine starts to lean out and usually quits. People immediately blame the engine and start fiddling with the needle and idle settings. Then they start cursing the manufacturer for a shoddy product. When all that needs to be done is to correct the engine/ tank relationship.

Ed S
Old 02-17-2002, 10:57 PM

Default Engine mounting

Ed S,

Thanx for the explanation. The plane is a high wing trainer and I had to really finnagle the fuel tank to get it close to high enough. I'll check the engine mounting when I finsih breaking it in and take it off the stand to put it on the plane permanently. Hopefully, it'll put the needle valve where it should be.

Thanx again to all who answered...

Ed