Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Newbie Questions.

Old 02-19-2003, 08:39 PM
Crash90
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Questions.

I have built about 8 arfs and 6 kits. I am now interested in building one from scratch but I have a few questions.

1 When ordering plans do the plans generally have templates for cutting out wing ribs, formers, etc?

2 Is the type of wood used for each part specified in the plans?

3 Is there usually a material list included?

4 other than a band saw and a sander are there any other tools essential for building? obviously glue,hobby knife etc.

Thanks for any help.
Old 02-19-2003, 08:52 PM
MikeS
My Feedback: (37)

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Rarely, but not hard to generate. If you studty the plans when you get them, you get all that data anyway. Just write it down. I study the plans, then go thru whatever instructs there are and write material in the columns, then add it all up. If it does not add up to $150, I order extra. Have to mainatin standards.

4. I have scratched many kits, use a cheap second-hand dremel scroll saw for most. Added a bench sander. Must-have is a master airscrew razor plane (alternative to most of the sanding) and a balsa stripper to make stripwood. Use one of the miter sanders to make joints tight, that's the sectret to strength. I also got a circle cutter and a self healing mat from the fabric store, they are nice to have. ( YOU - Honey, can I go with you next time you go to the sewing store? SHE - Yes dear, and how would you like your steak? You - I thought we were having tuna. She - I changed my mind.) A long heavy metal ruler and long sanding blocks help, too. Also, keep a spare jar of patience in your workshop.
Good luck,
Old 02-19-2003, 09:20 PM
Crash90

150.00 wow. i would have thought that I could scratch build for less than i could purchase a kit, or are you including monokote there? that is a surprise to me.

what would be a good first plane to build in the .40-.46 engine range? also where could i purchase the full size plans? thanks you are very helpful.
Old 02-20-2003, 12:58 AM
CafeenMan

Crash90 - That is what I believed too, but I've found scratch-building to be relatively expensive. But I still prefer it because quality control is 100% in my hands. I don't have to use improperly selected wood as is often included in kits and I don't have to throw away all the cheapo hardware that came with the kit because I buy what I plan to use.

I save money by buying in bulk which is helpful and I save any scrap large enough to do anything with. I also cut my own sticks, but gave up on cutting triangle after wasting a lot of wood with poor results.

Basically, I scratch build because I enjoy it and I can make the parts fit better than kit parts do. I don't do it to save money because I don't.
Old 02-20-2003, 12:59 AM
CafeenMan

Crash90- Check out my web page for tools:

http://www.airfieldmodels.com/tools.htm

It covers just about everything you would ever need although there are some on my wish list such as a lathe, bandsaw and full size table saw.
Old 02-20-2003, 03:17 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The first model or two that you scratch build will be about the same as buying a kit. But you'll have lots left over and for the second model the bill should be a lot less. By the time you build 3 or 4 the next one is free as you'll have all you need right at hand.

$150 is a LOT of material. I think CaffieneMan likes 'em big... or the shakes he gets from his namesake keeps the boo boo pile growing... ( Sorry, I couldn't resist )

A mid size model should only be about $100 if you start with nothing and that would include the hardware bits, wood, covering and small sized sheets of ply. But small sheets of ply is seldom the best way to buy it. Go for the max size you can live with on the pocket book. A 12 x 48 will last you the better part of a lifetime. 12x24 is a good size.

Of course if you're building something high tech or scale then the price can go up quickly.

For a 25 sized sport model I usually allow $70 from nothing to ready to fly. And that's Canadian. In the US with mail order I suspect you could do it for less. It's actually less for me as well. Wheels, engine mounts and a fair amount of miscellanious hardware is salvaged from past mistakes or the swap meet purchases. Part of the joy and convienience of scratch building.
Old 02-20-2003, 01:49 PM
Crash90

Thanks for all the advice.