Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

DWG Files

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 02:01 PM
Bish Wheeler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DWG Files

Okay, all you CAD Gurus. I just received a DWG file containing the graphics for a model I am working on and I of course couldn't open it. I down loaded a program called "Freedwgviewer", but can't seem to move the dwg file from the e-mail into a location where I can use the Freedwgviewer to open it. I guess I have two questions: The file contains graphics. Can I just fwd the e-mail to the graphics shop? The second question: Is there another way to open this file?

Thanks guys.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:55 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: DWG Files

DWG is an AutoCAD file. You could download the free TurboCAD LE program and it should open it but you probably need to get the file to hyour hard drive first. Your viewer should work then though. My mail program lets me open or save to the hard drive when I click it. Maybe right click and "save as"?
Old 06-20-2007, 07:40 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AutoCad by Autodesk has changed over the past couple years now. It has gotten so customized that it may not look right except on the very computer it was created upon.

Simplest thing is to open up that file in Microsoft Notebook or Wordpad. Smack up front will be the version identifyers. If it was done in Autocad 2007, and you are operating LT or something equavalent, it should give you a non-compatibility notice, otherwise it may open it up, and then just show nothing. Back in the 1990's this could be worked around, and now it can't.

Then too, if the original drawing contained XREF's you may see nothing at all. The actual drawing elements are on some other hard drive. It was customary to do this beginning in the early 1990's just to save file space (K size). The graphic may be tied into a certain graphics software, and if you do not have that loaded on to your system in same format, that too will not show.

Best thing to do is to contact original vendor and ask for a complete and whole drawing. It will be bigger, but you will then be able to see it all, provided the version can be seen with your viewer.

Presume that you have done a ZOOM All, or Extents. For further comment, go to the AutoDesk web site and get to one of their forums.

Wm.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:25 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Bish, if you send it to me I can make a .pdf file out of it which you can view assuming you have Adobe Acrobat. You won't be able to manipulate it but you can view it to make sure it is what you want before sending it off to the graphics shop.

Chad Veich
[email protected]
Old 06-21-2007, 01:46 PM
flybug

I was able to view teh DWG files by going to AutoCad/Autodesk website and downloading the latest DWG/DXF viewer which is free.
Good luck
Old 06-21-2007, 02:26 PM
Bish Wheeler

Thanks Chad et al,

I was able to figure it out with the help of Matt in NZ.

Bish